Highlander’s AP ANH Stunt Build

rwmead10

I got all the leg pieces sanded at the trim lines and I am going to start with the thighs so I know how much extra abs strips I have for the magnetic calf closures. 

I have 20mm arm cover strips so I am going to do 25mm front and 30mm back for the legs.

I removed the upper return edge and with no other trimming (40mm ridge) it still leaves about a 15mm gap at the top back which I can easily fill and cover with a 30mm strip. Besides the extra ridge that will shown in the front (which I don’t like) does the fit look ok? This is pretty snug but there is enough room to move and has about a finger’s width of extra room.

TnHqkD4.jpg
JMHR3hn.jpg

knh7fcQ.jpg

• Like 1

Just make sure the top of the ridges are matching.

For any gaps you can add a little offcut of ABS behind and add ABS paste if you really want too.

Sometimes you can be left with a slight longer ridge  than the other side, you can heat and bend if you really want too. I just use a heat gun and fold on a piece of wood, some use a hobby sealing iron.

gallery_12157_15_34529.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally trimmed the thighs. I went with 30mm ridges and will have 25mm outer strips to match my 20mm arm outer strips. The tape is a little under 25mm so you can see how it should look. I should have minimal gap in the rear. My plan is to install the inner and outer cover strips on the front so I have a better idea For fitting the back.

XxZDvSK.jpg

• Like 1

Inner cover strips attached and fronts are closed. Since I will have limited space inside my thighs, I went with scrap material for the inner strips since it wasn’t as thick as the outer strip material. I did the full length for the left thigh since this will have the bottom edge uncovered and got the most I could for the right thigh. I will add a small strip under the very bottom to match up the curved outer half to the flat inner half as best I can. Question: How do you trim the top of the right thigh? Leave it as is and put the cover strip over,  trip to the top line, or trim closer to the bottom line?

T25yFU9.jpg
9ibxUD5.jpg
SG87P9Q.jpg

h16Z9ya.jpg

Looking good, for the base I trimmed to suit as you have marked. For the top I've seen both ways done, here are a couple of AP centurion applications for reference

HV1irrD.jpgssOEGtr.png

I like the stepped down look as it is more screen accurate but it's all up the builder

gallery_12157_15_34529.jpg

I bought my size 13 TK boots back in 2016. I am just realizing the opening is very wide and seems to have a tough time getting the calves around it. Is this going to be a problem with the magnetic closure? Is there a work around with the hot water bath? What have others done with this issue?

5Z3lWG0.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thighs are closed and they fit! I went with 30mm outer cover strips. I had to get creative to be able to close them without shims while maximizing space. To do this, instead of doing a full inner strip, I made a filler piece that was connected to the outer cover strip. This let it sit flush with the two halves and keep room inside. Since the top area had little surface area for glue, I added a small strip for strength. 
Pt8Hwxh.jpgXuCVmO8.jpg
XP2JHPD.jpg

LIpTM8m.jpg
opMrZ98.jpg

• Like 1

You could trim a little more from the top and bottom edges, you only want about 3mm max

gallery_12157_15_41437.jpggallery_12157_59_55140.jpg

Moving on with Cricket’s magnetic calf closures. I made a jig to go in my vise and keep the strip supported while leaving room for the 13 mm step drill bit room to work. It’s 2 pieces of 3/4” wood held together by a strip of abs superglued on. In place of a drill press this worked very well and went quickly.

dYiYYa7.jpg
Jg3CNAj.jpg

tNJves1.jpg
bVze8Ob.jpg

• Like 2

Next up are the magnet covers. I cut out a 5/8” hole as the guide and used a heat gun to heat up the plastic and press the magnet recess. Trimmed them to be 1.25” long and a little over 3/4” wide. I used one of my magnet sachets to make sure each one has the same polarity and using E6000, glued each in and used a magnet underneath to hold in place. These will cure for 3-4 days for max adhesion.

UN8dPQz.jpg
ZywlWlT.jpg

7FITOjd.jpg
FV1JhGV.jpg

L97CTW6.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 11:41 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

You could trim a little more from the top and bottom edges, you only want about 3mm max

gallery_12157_15_41437.jpggallery_12157_59_55140.jpg

I measured and the edges are 3.5-4mm in some places. I will trim to 2mm to get a more screen accurate look.

Edited by rwmead10

• 2 weeks later...

Well after building up anxiety for hot water baths I finally took the plunge. Super easy and I’m embarrassed it took me this long to try it. I tried to get everything in one go. Got the forearm tension eased. They might need a little more work before strapping is added but infinitely better. Thigh ammo pack is done. It isn’t perfect but since it will be held by rivets and e-6000 it will work. I did a preliminary bend for the shoulder bridges and kept the large tab. I want to make sure I have enough length when assembling the torso pieces. Last and most difficult are the calves. Not perfect but they line up better and the magnets should have no problem keeping them closed. A little area in the middle I couldn’t get quite right can probably be hit with a little heat gun depending on how it turns out. Also got ambitious and glued the inner magnet strip. Making progress!

43zy1Nb.jpg

nXvgEVV.jpg

• Like 1