Highlander’s AP ANH Stunt Build

rwmead10

After years of researching I finally purchased an AP trimmed helmet last year. My Tie Pilot build got in the way and after a year of procrastinating, I decided to purchase the untrimmed armor and get started. I have finished the helmet and will be posting my progress so far in a few posts.I am less confident with the trimming and assembly of the rest of the armor which is why I am starting this build thread.

~Ryan
2699F122-DDB5-46E3-B9BC-AC8998743BF2.jpeg.69d4f4bb3993f6a1ecbb3cf9be7269ac.jpegDC475229-22B0-46EA-BABF-FD9FFEC394F0.jpeg.612592722cf03f85f494944f0140413c.jpeg

• Like 3

Looking forwards to seeing the build progress, great idea to purchase untrimmed, a little extra work but it's nice to have some extra material just in case ;) 

• Like 1

I’ve built both his trimmed and untrimmed kits. He does a great job trimming but having the flexibility to size some pieces exactly how you want them is worth the extra work. Bucket looks great!  I have a fairly detailed account of how I trimmed the armour in my sandtrooper build. I can send a link if you can’t find it. Good luck with the build. 

• Like 2

Prior to applying the plasti dip, I installed t-nuts with sugru following scimitar’s instructions. I used the trooperbay lens and traced the eyes and cut them to shape. I wanted the lens to be flush but with only 2 posts on the edges, the pressure kept popping them off. To fix this, I added a center post and two lower posts. I also used Spyder’s method of using a heat gun to shape the lens on a mixing bowl which relieved some of the tension. In hindsight the inner screws nearest the nose could be eliminated.

590EDD5E-529A-42BA-866F-EBC20999D5F0.jpeg

BDB930D7-A256-40CF-ACFC-27A38902D5EB.jpeg

232EFC24-9A81-4BB0-B81C-AB98A6B5C52E.jpeg

F513374B-BB1D-4E12-9D02-751D5E64AA55.jpeg

• Like 1

I prepped for spraying the plasti dip by lightly sanding the interior with 400 grit sandpaper. I left the screws in the posts and taped around them since the tape didn’t want to stick to the sugru. I used Scimitar’s plastic bag trick for the teeth.

D7A271F2-6A80-47A2-8FB5-71861D0489A0.jpeg

7F14289E-6499-4949-845D-0C33A433CA22.jpeg

Edited by rwmead10
  • Like 3

Tube Stripes, frown and tear/trap stripes. One note with the tube stripe stencils. I let the paint dry and the edges were peeling up when I was trying to remove it. I was able to carefully cut the stencil from the paint with an exacto knife. I still had to put tape down and touch up the edges and then clean up with a toothpick and mineral spirits. In hindsight it would be easier to try and peel the stencils while the paint is still wet. Either way I think it turned out ok.

sTwy3Zi.jpg

p8L9ZWq.jpg

PkCI2CG.jpg

l5QefW3.jpg

dTX8UUO.jpg

Edited by rwmead10
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

Nice work!  The only additional thing I would add (if not done so already) is the white weathering around the hovi mics. Great job on the painting. :duim:

DaveMANH02.jpg

Thanks! I will be switching those with the Ukswrath Hovi mic speakers once they come in which have the white weathering.

• Like 1

Well I ended up working 7 days this week but was able to sneak away for 30 minutes to get my trimming started. I have the biceps separated and the upper halves of one set trimmed. I had a question for the upper/outer piece. Do most people remove the entire return edge? The way that AP biceps are formed, the lower portion has no return edge which would be visible and it would make a more flush fit. It currently has a 1/8" return edge.

v3A5mkB.jpg

ALGWIcI.jpg

Hi Ryan, great work you have made a great work on your helmet. Congrats

About your question about return edges, I recommend you to check the following link. I'm sure It will be so useful for your building process .

Cheers

The return edge is really up to you.  Myself, I removed it all as I prefer that look and I find it more comfortable.  The screen used kits typically didn't have a lot of return edge, but it did vary. 

If you do want to leave some return edge, my advice is to sand the cut edges starting with coarse grit and progressing to a very fine grit like 1000 or more.  This will polish the edge and keep it from causing discomfort when rubbing against your skin.

I got some time and have finished a rough trim for all of the large pieces. This went fine but I ran into the classic tall stormtrooper issue. I am 6'1" and it looks like I am all torso and I have a good gap in the chest/ab area. Are there any fixes for the ab/chest gap problem? Or is my only option to get a taller ab from RT-Mod and hope it matches ok?

WmLAJOu.jpg

On 2/29/2020 at 9:15 PM, rwmead10 said:

I am 6'1" and it looks like I am all torso and I have a good gap in the chest/ab area. Are there any fixes for the ab/chest gap problem? Or is my only option to get a taller ab from RT-Mod and hope it matches ok?

Hi Ryan, I think you can wait to advance in your build so you can make a pre-fit including the complete torso parts and you can use Painters tape to affix  the armor an see how its looks. Sometimes it's just strapping adjustments.

The following photos are of the same armor as yours and the guy wearing it is 6' , I'm including the link to his build thread too.

Keep on doing a great build mate!!  :salute:

Image9d0da468ccbaafa5de3cedbdf18c878f.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement. I tried the pieces with my undersuit and it fits better. Lesson learned on panicking too early.  Now to start sanding edges and start fitting the limbs. I should be good with the 15mm on the biceps and forearms as long as my hands fit through. May have to experiment with 15mm on the front and 16-18mm on the back if needed.

Edited by rwmead10

Not sure what you mean by "trim the cod to be less like an athletic cup" looks perfect the way it is, if you followed the trim line thats the way iit should look, before over trimming anything make your research as theres no going back 

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ABS80 said:

Not sure what you mean by "trim the cod to be less like an athletic cup" looks perfect the way it is, if you followed the trim line thats the way iit should look, before over trimming anything make your research as theres no coming back 

Mark (AP)

Mark, I will post pictures as I go along prior to any trimming. I have only trimmed to the guide lines so far. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well my son was born a few weeks ago and I was on nesting house projects prior to that. But as mom and baby sleep, I have started on my armor again. I have trimmed all of the armor and need to sand but have a question about the arms and bicep covers. I should be able to use 15mm but do y’all use 7.5mm per half? Or 8mm and 7mm? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rwmead10 said:

I should be able to use 15mm but do y’all use 7.5mm per half? Or 8mm and 7mm? 

Hi Ryan, what most builders use is 7.5 mm per half.

Cheers 

I got my left forearm rough sanded and taped up as far as the overlap allows without trimming. This would leave about a 20mm ridge once butt joined and my hand just barely fits through. I think it may fit more flush with the butt join and I might be able to squeeze a few more millimeters and maybe get to the 15mm ridge and cover strip. Should I trim to 10mm per side and reassess? It is a little snug at the joint near the elbow but I can probably fix with a hot water bath once it is all trimmed.

Ryan

k5V6ii8.jpg
m3UAlez.jpg

jbSFlmW.jpg
oFU5YwQ.jpg
K95SRnN.jpg

Edited by rwmead10
  • Like 1

Hey Ryan, it’s pretty normal for the hand to be snug going through the wrist opening. The elbows are a bit weird and can be adjusted with a hot water bath. Don’t get hung up on the 15mm. Make the arms fit. Just keep all of your arm cover strips the same size – so that the biceps and the forearms  have the same size cover strips. Another trick is to have slightly larger cover strips on the front, let’s say 17 mm, and then larger cover strips on the back like 19 mm or something.

so yeah, I would trim to the 10 mm per side and see how it feels from there. Be sure to wear something underneath about the same size as your under suit.

good luck. 

• Like 2