Advice Needed

I am helping a someone here in Japan get their armor built and ready for membership submission. He is now working on his thigh armor and is having trouble with sizing. I helped guide him to fix the front halves so they are lined up properly & look better. Now he is trying to tackle to the rear enclosure but he cannot fit his legs I tot he armor unless he leaves a very wide gap between the two halves. The cover strip he would have to use would be considerably wide, maybe triple the width normally used. 

Sourcing larger armor parts at the moment is not an option for him so we are trying to see if he can use his present parts. Is it possible to have the rear cover strip extra wide?  There is not much he can do to reduce the gap.. I advised removing any return edge on the top and bottom edges to maximize how much room he has inside the thigh armor. 
Any advice you can give or can verify if there any restrictions for the rear enclose width/cover strip size is deeply appreciated. 

On 2/18/2020 at 4:42 AM, Frank75139 said:

What would the size difference be between the front and the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will try to post pics but the gaps is  significant. Not sure this guy can do the mod shown in the linked thread. But I will see what we can do. 
the rear enclosure gap at the moment is roughly 8cm on the top end. And 4.5cm on the bottom.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:43 PM, TKSpartan said:

Hi Brien,  the following link may help.

cheers

Thanks for the link. This is a cool mod but not sure the guy I am helping can do this. I will pass this on and see what he says. I am near Tokyo and he is in Osaka so we are not close by otherwise I would try and help him with this. 
really appreciate the help. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bulldog44 said:

Does anyone know what is the maximum size cover strip you can get away with on the back side of the thigh seam? 

Hi, Brian. I have used up to 25 mm  for back of thigs cover strips. May be your friend can make some test  using ABS paste with leftover plastic pieces.

Here are  a couple of threads that can be usefull.  Cheers 

• Like 1

Hi, Brian. I have used up to 25 mm  for back of thigs cover strips. May be your friend can make some test  using ABS paste with leftover plastic pieces.

Here are  a couple of threads that can be usefull.  Cheers 

[/url]  

So the width of the cover strips is not a standard number?

I mean, does the legs have a different sizer than the arms? Front different that the back (In regard of the cover strips)

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

@Sn4k3

"standard" cover strip sizes are:

arms - 15mm

Thighs and front of shins - 20mm

back of shins  - 25mm

of course, depending on the size of you, your arms, and your legs, these widths can be altered proportionally for your body size.  Some people can get away with (or have no choice) to make the coverstrips larger for correct sizing.  The key is to keep the relative widths proportional as best you can.

Hope that helps.

Edited by wook1138
  • Like 3

"standard" cover strip sizes are:
arms - 15mm
back of shins  - 25mm

of course, depending on the size of you, your arms, and your legs, these widths can be altered proportionally for your body size.  Some people can get away with (or have no choice) to make the coverstrips larger for correct sizing.  The key is to keep the relative widths proportional as best you can.

Hope that helps.
Ok, so if i understand correctly

Those standart numbers, are more like a guide, and not a strict rule

1 minute ago, Sn4k3 said:

Ok, so if i understand correctly

Those standart numbers, are more like a guide, and not a strict rule

Yes, that's right. If you're the same size and proportions as on screen, stick to those. Adjust as required.

Brian, I'd recommend bringing your GML in on the discussion to see what they would accept as well.

• Like 3

Yes, that's right. If you're the same size and proportions as on screen, stick to those. Adjust as required.

Brian, I'd recommend bringing your GML in on the discussion to see what they would accept as well.
Wouldn't the GML stick to the same criteria of the main 501st group?, or all others

Hey Brian,

I just finished doing the same thing for a guy in our garrison.  We did have some extra cover strip material, but other than than we were working with the existing finished armor which was woefully undersized.  I cheated in every way I could -

• I used slightly larger coverstrips on the back than the front
  • The front coverstrips were probably more like 25mm
  • I opened up the front seam and separated the two halves so that they don't butt up to each other.  I added a inner coverstrip for reinforcement.  The pieces were trimmed too small so I did this to buy a few mm.
  • The front coverstrip isn't quite wide enough to cover the whole raised ridge on the front - this bought me a couple more mm without making the actual coverstrip any bigger.
  • All return edge at the top was removed and sanded smooth.

His arms were resized the same way, so the armour looks proportional .

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sn4k3 said:

Wouldn't the GML stick to the same criteria of the main 501st group?, or all others

There is some "wiggle room" for GMLs to interpret certain standards.

• Like 2

There is some "wiggle room" for GMLs to interpret certain standards.
I see..., It should be the same for everyone

I'm 6" tall and 145 pounds, obviously on the skinny side but my height, apparently, is very similar to the Tunisian guys that wore the original ANH armors.

So I'm guessing that i can use the "standart" measurements

9 minutes ago, Sn4k3 said:

I'm 6" tall and 145 pounds, obviously on the skinny side but my height, apparently, is very similar to the Tunisian guys that wore the original ANH armors.

So I'm guessing that i can use the "standart" measurements

Hi Daniel, as greg has pointed, there is a defined cover Strips size to be Screen Accurate . But in some cases you can exceed a "little" this  measures in order to fit better but being still Screen Accurate.  

arms and forearms  - 15mm

back of shins  - 25mm

II would recommend  when building an armor to look at  other's Building Threads , High levels aprovals post, reference Photos and videos.  

Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sn4k3 said:

It is more or less the same for everyone. GMLs' job is to verify that applicants' costume meets the standard of the CRL. Some are sticklers more than others. Even if we were to centralize costume approval at the detachment level, unless only a single person is approving costumes, there will be some small variation in what one approver finds acceptable to another.

• Like 1

It is more or less the same for everyone. GMLs' job is to verify that applicants' costume meets the standard of the CRL. Some are sticklers more than others. Even if we were to centralize costume approval at the detachment level, unless only a single person is approving costumes, there will be some small variation in what one approver finds acceptable to another.
And what about register you with a different garrison than were you live? Do you think that is possible?

14 hours ago, Sn4k3 said:

And what about register you with a different garrison than were you live? Do you think that is possible?

Your geographical location determines which garrison/outpost will be evaluating your costume.

Edit: Sorry Brian for highjacking your thread a little. Daniel, if you have more questions, please feel free to PM me.

Edited by lucnak
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the added advice. I will bring our GML into the chat with the guy I am helping. I personally prefer the armor to look fairly screen accurate and prefer he does the extra work and blend in the abs extensions and have a cover strip more in line with 25mm. The gap is far to wide to  get away with a wider cover strip I think but just wanted to get some feedback here if he were to try that way. We are also considering to buy larger fitting thigh armor if the mod option seems to difficult for him. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wook1138 said:

Hey Brian,

I just finished doing the same thing for a guy in our garrison.  We did have some extra cover strip material, but other than than we were working with the existing finished armor which was woefully undersized.  I cheated in every way I could -

• I used slightly larger coverstrips on the back than the front
  • The front coverstrips were probably more like 25mm
  • I opened up the front seam and separated the two halves so that they don't butt up to each other.  I added a inner coverstrip for reinforcement.  The pieces were trimmed too small so I did this to buy a few mm.
  • The front coverstrip isn't quite wide enough to cover the whole raised ridge on the front - this bought me a couple more mm without making the actual coverstrip any bigger.
  • All return edge at the top was removed and sanded smooth.

His arms were resized the same way, so the armour looks proportional .

Thanks for the details on how you helped that trooper. That sounded like a challenge but worked out well. Hoping to help this guy get it right so he is satisfied as well. Luckily he seems optimistic to find a solution and not give up yet on this. It’s the last hurdle he has with his armor. 

22 hours ago, lucnak said:

Thanks. I will do that. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 7:48 AM, Bulldog44 said:

I will try to post pics but the gaps is  significant. Not sure this guy can do the mod shown in the linked thread. But I will see what we can do. 
the rear enclosure gap at the moment is roughly 8cm on the top end. And 4.5cm on the bottom.

could he ship them to you with a few bucks to buy supplies to make them fit?  take pics and video for him so he can help others local?