Merkava74's TFA FOTK Build Thread (Anovos)

merkava74

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 1:55 AM, merkava74 said:

So I was told that my armour will be ready for collection this Saturday! Can’t wait!

In the meantime, resin hand plates arrived from Dan. They are beautiful!

47430b6c6e8d8c27f74a458708f2403f.jpg

This is the kind of product that should be on FISD's FOTK supply list, beautiful!

THERMAL DETONATOR PART 4

So some of my armour came back from the painter's, and I got back to work on those that I can. 

Completing the TD, I stuck on the 4 vinyl stickers: 2 end caps, 1 to wrap around the left tube, and 1 rectangle piece in the middle. The TD is complete!

CiWVVsK.jpg

BXLIbsd.jpg

42bh2Cx.jpg

Edited by merkava74
  • Like 1

If you're shooting for accuracy here's some info. The TFA cap was draped in what was thought to be gaffer's tape. Here's a movie armor reference photo. Note the difference in material between the center decal and end cap.  

TD crop.JPG

• Like 1

If you're shooting for accuracy here's some info. The TFA cap was draped in what was thought to be gaffer's tape. Here's a movie armor reference photo. Note the difference in material between the center decal and end cap.  

561513530_TDcrop.JPG.062560835bd4fee426c8b0216f598fb5.JPG

That’s a neat nugget of info! Thanks Tony! Although I stick to what I’ve done. Not sure I wanna risk peeling any paint off if I remove my vinyl. But thanks!
  • Like 1

COD PIECE PART 2

The 2 snaps are attached to the cod piece, facing outwards.

won1AUC.jpg

Next, I glued a strip of webbing on the inside of the abdomen, and fixed 2 inward facing snaps. Here you see the cod piece attached. When the belt is worn, the webbing and snaps will all be hidden. The center snap on the abdomen will be attached to the belt later. 

6sWEvx9.jpg

Edited by merkava74

POSTERIOR PIECE PART 2

2 inward facing snaps are attached which will snap to 2 hanging webbing from under the back of the abdomen. The center snap is outward facing to be attache to the belt later. 

Adjcbs5.jpg

Here it is attached to the back, and you can see the 2 hanging webbing holding the posterior piece up. 

3WBLa6t.jpg

Edited by merkava74
  • Like 1

BELT BOXES PART 2

The supporting pieces of the 2 horizontal belt boxes have been sprayed matte black.

jwGLMTF.jpg

Here, they are glued to the belt boxes, ready to be fixed onto the belt. 

XfGeEKO.jpg

Edited by merkava74
  • Like 1

BELT POUCHES PART 2

Stuck a piece of velcro behind the ABS cover of the belt pouch, and they're done.

oNIvuqZ.jpg

Edited by merkava74
  • Like 1

BELT ASSEMBLY

So after preparing the boxes and pouches, it is time to put everything together. Darren's (JAFO) Belts of the First Order kit is what I used, and it is an awesome high quality kit. No doubt about that!

First, I test fitted the belt with my Abdomen, Cod and Posterior pieces on to determine the length of belt that I need. Do not just use your waist size as the ABS add a significant amount of length. I also took the fitting to determine the 2 snaps positions. Then, I sewed the female clip and attached the 2 snaps. 

Gx5yIUC.jpg

Next, I measured the lengths and glued the middle foam and outer rubber layers together. I glued them in an oval shape to conform to the shape of my torso. You will also notice that by doing that, you will need more material for the foam layer, and even more for the rubber layer as they "travel" a longer distance around the oval. If you glued them flat, you will later realise that you cannot bend them around your waist without stressing and possibly creasing the foam and webbing layer. 

3UYD1Me.jpg

Finally, all 3 layers are glued together.

Nx16cPm.jpg

Next, I proceeded to determine the front centre of the belt and punched holes through all 3 layers so I can fix the 2 horizontal boxes. This is where Empire3D's resin boxes and especially their curved backing really comes into play and rests on the belt perfectly. I also secured the end of the belt with 2 chicago screws through all 3 layers. 

ybByUxz.jpg

This is how it looks from the inside.

XGv5rY4.jpg

Next, I measured where the 2 drop boxes will be, threaded the rubber cord through their holes and corresponding to the belt, and knotted it up. I used the cords method for these 2 boxes as it will allow more play if I raise my thighs or bend my body, so the boxes will flex and not stress against the belt. Remember that the top of the 2 drop boxes sit lower than the 2 horizontal boxes. 

RVvNbis.jpg

Finally, the belt is complete, and everything sits perfectly, even though this photo doesn't seem it. You'll see it later on when I take photos suited up. 

VM7YTJP.jpg

Edited by merkava74
  • Like 3

ABDOMEN PART 2

Sewed 4 webbing onto the slots on the top of my abdomen. This will be the straps that will hold everything up. The abdomen is going to hold the weight of the belt, cod, posterior, 2 thighs, and 2 knee rubber gaskets. 

4cNdMNW.jpg

Next up, to tackle how my abdomen will close behind. I wanted it to be a super snug fit so it can help to hold everything up. I drew 4 lines which I will cut into slots for webbing to pass through. 

Zb5KRGc.jpg

And here they are cut.

KOtoRfz.jpg

Next, I fashioned 2 webbing straps with velcro sewed at the ends. 

LXKOIkE.jpg

I glued one end on the left side of the back, slot it through the slot, glued the back on the inside, and come back out the slot on the right. 

N1YYI3H.jpg

This is how it looks when my back is closed. Neat!

UZ6EfQE.jpg

And this is to show that once the TD is installed, the straps are all hidden.

lsN8MfI.jpg

So, with the Ab, TD, Belt, Cod and Posterior done, I wanted to do an interim test fit to make sure that everything looks tight and good. I installed the boxes onto the Ab, except for box 1 which is still at the painter's. Here's how it is looking, and I am happy with the overall fit and look.

A0veZjX.jpg

myNJZ6F.jpg

9AKxWms.jpg

4pNtVd0.jpg

Edited by merkava74
  • Like 2

Great to see you are strapping it similar to the screen used armour. Have you made any reinforcing behind where the slits are to ensure it won’t eventually crack? It probably won’t but just a thought.
Keep up the fantastic work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is a great build and thank you for the documentation of all the steps. This will help me when I get my armor. Question on the belt boxes, I could not find a link to Empire3D? Closest thing was a site but no mention of the boxes. https://www.etsy.com/shop/Empire3Dau

• Like 1

Great to see you are strapping it similar to the screen used armour. Have you made any reinforcing behind where the slits are to ensure it won’t eventually crack? It probably won’t but just a thought.
Keep up the fantastic work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t know they strapped it like this too in the movie! I guess it’s logical then...

Thanks for the reminder on the slits. No, they’re very far from any edge to have any flex, so I think they’re good. Thanks anyway!

4 hours ago, LTM said:
This is a great build and thank you for the documentation of all the steps. This will help me when I get my armor. Question on the belt boxes, I could not find a link to Empire3D? Closest thing was a site but no mention of the boxes. https://www.etsy.com/shop/Empire3Dau

Most welcome! That’s what build threads are for! I learnt from @ukswrath and @JAFO’s builds too. Glad I could share!

Yes that is the Empire 3D, but I hooked up with them over FB. Here’s the link: https://www.facebook.com/Empire3d/

Edited by merkava74
  • Like 1

SHOULDER BELLS PART 2

A simple step of making the snap straps, and attaching them to the yoke. Gentle reminder to install only the one on the yoke first, slot the strap through the slot, AND THEN install the snap at the other end meant for the bell. If you install both ends at the same time, you'll realise like I did that they wouldn't fit through the slot. Noob mistake. 

Then it is a simple task of positioning the corresponding male snaps on the shoulder bells. Here's the whole set up. 

0yXgJBe.jpg

And here's how it looks. The length of the straps are critical to ensure that the bells are exactly resting on the shoulder tabs, which will ensure that they are lined up with the yoke nicely. 

bZjnjvI.jpg

Edited by merkava74