Merkava74's TFA FOTK Build Thread (Anovos)

merkava74

ABDOMEN

First thing I had to do was to cut the back into 2 pieces, directly in the middle, and then glue the 2 sides to the front piece. Lots of putty, priming and sanding to create that seamless sides. 

wprnAWF.jpg

Next, i drilled 2 holes on each box placement for the boxes. I drilled 4 hole for the bigger box (box 5 in Anovos' case). 

EMSdOxt.jpg

After cutting out the 7 Ab boxes (carefully as I needed to be aligned to the ab shape as closely as possible), I glued nylon bolts on their inside, and reinforced with epoxy putty all around the bolts so they will be very secure and would not twist or fall off. 

Cjhhy8i.jpg

This is how they look like roughly installed. 

6rtv0D4.jpg

The inside, showing where the bolts are secure with a nut each, and the excess bolt snipped off (hence why I use nylon bolts).

UzLBHNu.jpg

I then test fitted the ab, noting the width of my torso, and drawing out where I will need to cut at the back. I intend to join this using velcro, as I believe this joints takes a lot of stress, and would need a good omni-directional securing which velcro does best. 

RzJL8uV.jpg

I also cut a slot at the top where the TD will be hooking on to. This way, it is not going to slide left or right, and has a lesser chance of popping off upwards too. 

6PBpxGT.jpg

This is how the TD looks like sitting in the slot.

RfN8ibz.jpg

The bottom view of the TD, showing it is almost flush with the base of the back piece. 

2gTsLmQ.jpg

I also cut a curve on both sides to give the area below my armpits a little more comfort. Trust me, this helped a lot. 

gWJ8c0A.jpg

In the front, I drilled a hole in the center, which I will install an outward facing snap later to attach to the belt. 

pAt4mRz.jpg

Finally, primered, sanded and finished. 

fMsymij.jpg

UPDATE:

I decided to cut 4 slots on the top part of the ab to thread some webbing through later. This will be my harness to hold the ab up. It will cross at the back, and come straight down the front to buckle clips. 

MFJqNZQ.jpg

Edited by merkava74

Updated my chest piece with 2 bolts at the sharp end. See the update for details. 

I realised that my head is small enough to go through the neck hole with the yoke AND chest attached. As such, I will be fixing the chest piece onto the yoke permanently. I will also be joining one side of the underarm to connect the yoke and the chest piece, leaving the other side functional for magnets later. 

So to wear, I would put my hand into the fixed arm hole, put my head through the neck hole, and then slot my other arm through the functional arm hole, and close it with magnets. 

• Like 1

SHOULDER TABS

I am using @ukswrath's metal tabs. They are really nice to work with. I marked out where the top of the shoulder bell would be, and cut a slot for the tab to go through, and bent the tab to conform to the inside of the shoulders. Then I fixed 2 snaps onto the should tabs. Measuring a straight line from the snaps, I cut another 2 slots for where the webbing will go later. 

Here are the 3 holes:

oxWjdEq.jpg

It is ok that there are gaps in the slot where the tab goes through, as I will be filling it up later. But the 2 side slots need to be clean as they will be exposed against the white armour later against the black webbing, so do take care. 

Here is how the inside looks. I shortened the tabs. You might want to leave it long. I just didn't want too much weight or material but I think if you left it, it would strengthen the shoulders more. I also rounded the corners so it wouldn't tear my gaskets or inner suit as I am wearing it. 

ZgX8RVD.jpg

The other side done too. 

zKQq8y2.jpg

Then I proceeded to glue the 2 tabs and let dry overnight. 

SDQEXkv.jpg

After dry, I filled up the center gap with epoxy putty. 

qnGe4yO.jpg

And after priming. Will probably have another layer of putty to smoothen it out more, but essentially, this is done. 

y06P4Em.jpg

a5ktEQ4.jpg

Pp5BVWT.jpg

Edited by merkava74
  • Like 1

SHINS

I tackled the left shin first as it had the 2 vertical long boxes with, you guessed it, no seams. 

First thing I did was to mark out 3 holes for each box, and drill them through BOTH halves of the shin. That way, the outer seam of the shin will be securely held together later by 6 bolts and nuts, holding the 2 boxes in place and will not be accidentally knocked off when hit. 

yDydP3a.jpg

The 2 boxes were cut to shape and test fitted onto the shin.

h1Ga1De.jpg

While they were test fitted, I glued 6 bolts to them from the inside. 

wTJZ5Ok.jpg

NNUU5ha.jpg

Here you see the inside of the shins with both halves test fitted. The bolts will be cut down to be flush with the nuts later. 

WOHZ6oK.jpg

I then embedded epoxy putty into both boxes, so the bolts would be very secure. 

HlGrxVe.jpg

Starting with the outer box, I glued it in place, and epoxy puttied around it, sanded it down till it was seamless. 

zNaWZyH.jpg

Then I went on to the inner box. The area between them was going to be tough to sand down. 

4WoijYU.jpg

Once that was done, I glued the seam together. 

cWbqCNG.jpg

Here you can also see the pillbox at the bottom that I cut out. This will be backed later with black material.

9Qx8tMF.jpg

I intend to close the other seam using magnets. Here, I cut 5 holes that I will place magnets in. This part will be done after the armour returns from the paint shop. 

oJYXl6M.jpg

Added the greeblies, and after priming, sanding and wet sanding with 1500 grit, the shins are both done.

2hOSo2D.jpg

Edited by merkava74

BELT BOXES

I got the Empire3D belt boxes as it had the curved resin backing for the 2 horizontal boxes. However, I will not be using their bigger rectangle boxes as they are heavy, and I would prefer to use the ABS ones from the kit. 

For these 2 boxes, I drilled 2 holes into each of them, and joined up the boxes. an elastic cord will be threaded through the 2 holes and attached through the belt. I am using elastic cord for these 2 boxes and not chicago screws as I wanted them to have some play since they are hanging below the belt and might have some pressure being placed on them when I am walking or trying to sit. 

Here they are completed:

M3Fvc6w.jpg

uyWj2up.jpg

For the 2 horizontal ones, first, I created 2 recesses in the resin block, to sit 2 bolts. I glued them into the recesses, and let dry. 

i1aEB1C.jpg

Then I epoxy puttied around them, filling the recess, and again making sure that the bolts will be very secure. 

AK4pwLs.jpg

And this is how it looks finished. I have not glued the box and the backing together yet. This will be done after painting as the backing is black while the box will be white. But essentially, these are done. 

BFKHKx1.jpg

Edited by merkava74

BELT POUCHES

So I decided to make my pouches functional, while keeping them in shape. 

I made 2 boxes out of acrylic, reinforced the insides with triangular angle supports. Here's the long one:

eLQgPIZ.jpg

And here's how it fits inside.

SoL9Tyy.jpg

With the flap closed.

mCm2Biu.jpg

And with the armour piece test fitted on it. 

5gE82aR.jpg

The other smaller box.

WEYU0k4.jpg

Inside the pouch.

r6dNhtO.jpg

And with the flap closed. 

rWUoVA3.jpg

Both pouches done.

LyPJaxU.jpg

Now I can give out stickers while trooping (If my gloves can reach in to grab them....)

Edited by merkava74
  • Like 5

ANKLE SPATS

So, I've been wrapping my head around how to do this, as I have seen a few methods using snaps on the greeblies, or velcro. I've finally decided I will do it a little differently, and clasp the ankle using the seam instead. 

Let me explain. The seam has a higher surface area compared to the greeblie, and that allows me to use magnets to ensure that when closed, the ankle is "straight" and not at an angle. MY first step is to shave off the top and bottom of the inner seam so that the outer one will sit nicely flush over it. 

ejj81LV.jpg

This is how it looks after.

2JclbgO.jpg

Next, I cut away the notch where the greeblie will be sitting, so that the greeblie can also sit flush between the 2 pieces. 

BI4i0H2.jpg

Glueing the 3 pieces together (Ankle, Flap and Greeblie), this is how it looks. The excess top and bottom will be shaved off later. This creates a higher surface area bond compared to just a snap on the greeblie.

nixTe31.jpg

On the other end, this is how the seam will look like after I install 2 magnets (1 on top, 1 on the bottom) to make sure the alignment is always flush when worn. 

5t2nhRh.jpg

And this is the completed ankle spat with the flap glued, edges trimmed. 

wvNOjfF.jpg

Edited by merkava74
  • Like 2

So at this point, I am done with the hard armour parts, and have sent them to the painters. Will probably take 2 to 3 weeks. In the meantime, I will be trying to do the other stuff as much as I can. Unfortunately, I screwed up a bit of my timeline, and while I have my 3D printed blasters, I had ordered BlastFX kits, and they are not here yet. I am intending to do a SE44C, F11D and F11D Heavy Rifle. I could probably work on a few parts that do not require the electronics for now. 

I am also going to do a bit of the rubber gaskets from Imperial Gaskets. Test gluing, etc. 

Stay tuned, but progress will be slower for now. 

• Like 1

This is an awesome thread. Thank you for the time you’re putting in and the detail you are including. I’m learning while I continue waiting for Anoshow...

One question about the bolts for the belt boxes and shins, etc. how do you get the placement of the bolts right when glueing them? Am I right in assuming that you temporarily hold or affix the boxes in place, with the bolts sticking through their holes? I know this might seem obvious - but it’s somethng I’ve been pondering in the virtual build inside my head.... thanks 

• Like 2

This is an awesome thread. Thank you for the time you’re putting in and the detail you are including. I’m learning while I continue waiting for Anoshow...
One question about the bolts for the belt boxes and shins, etc. how do you get the placement of the bolts right when glueing them? Am I right in assuming that you temporarily hold or affix the boxes in place, with the bolts sticking through their holes? I know this might seem obvious - but it’s somethng I’ve been pondering in the virtual build inside my head.... thanks 

Thanks! And yes. First, you drill the holes, and then you put the bolt through, and have a dab of glue on the head, then you place the box in the right position, and now, from the bottom, press the bolt up against the box and hold it for a while till it dries. Then remove the box with the bolt, and reinforce with more glue, and then epoxy putty for a secure hold. Hope that’s clear!
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 8:04 AM, merkava74 said:

BELT POUCHES

So I decided to make my pouches functional, while keeping them in shape. 

I made 2 boxes out of acrylic, reinforced the insides with triangular angle supports. Here's the long one:

Great idea. Nice spot for keys or other :duim:

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 7:26 PM, merkava74 said:

ANKLE SPATS

So, I've been wrapping my head around how to do this, as I have seen a few methods using snaps on the greeblies, or velcro. I've finally decided I will do it a little differently, and clasp the ankle using the seam instead. 

Let me explain. The seam has a higher surface area compared to the greeblie, and that allows me to use magnets to ensure that when closed, the ankle is "straight" and not at an angle. MY first step is to shave off the top and bottom of the inner seam so that the outer one will sit nicely flush over it. 

This is how it looks after.

Next, I cut away the notch where the greeblie will be sitting, so that the greeblie can also sit flush between the 2 pieces. 

Glueing the 3 pieces together (Ankle, Flap and Greeblie), this is how it looks. The excess top and bottom will be shaved off later. This creates a higher surface area bond compared to just a snap on the greeblie.

On the other end, this is how the seam will look like after I install 2 magnets (1 on top, 1 on the bottom) to make sure the alignment is always flush when worn. 

And this is the completed ankle spat with the flap glued, edges trimmed. 

Very nice. Can't wait to see this in action

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 5:29 AM, ukswrath said:
Hey Jasper what's the latest. Any progress?

The only thing I got was some of my parts being painted at the car workshop. Should be a week or 2 to go...
S5sMArA.jpg

Edited by merkava74
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I was told that my armour will be ready for collection this Saturday! Can’t wait!

In the meantime, resin hand plates arrived from Dan. They are beautiful!
Z595U7E.jpg

Edited by merkava74
  • Like 4