Posting photos using imgur 101

DISCLAIMER

While there are some really good threads on this subject here on the FISD, I just wanted to highlight a few areas with some more detailed images.  As many of you know, I am not a computer savvy guy, so I designed this for those who are in the same boat I am.

Now, on with the show....

Whether you are just starting a build thread or just have a technical question, posting a photo is vital for getting solid advice here on the FISD.  A verbal description is one thing, but a picture really is worth a thousand words.  You will also need to post photos if you are applying for Expert Infantry/Centurion levels.

In order to do this, you will need an image hosting server.  For the following I am using imgur (imgur.com).  This is a free service, and allows you to crop, re-size, rotate, post and store your photos.  It may be a bit confusing at first, but I promise that once you get the hang of it you will be a pro in no time!

NOTE

For the purposes of this tutorial, we will use as an example that you have a question about the center of your ab-plate section.  Instead of posting a photo of the entire costume, you can (and should) crop and re-size it to show a close-up.

Assuming you have installed imgur and the photo(s) are downloaded on your PC or laptop in the Pictures section.

To add a photo to your imgur Gallery:

1.  On your imgur home page, click on your name at the top right (Step 1).  This will give you a drop-down menu.  Click on Images (Step 2) This will bring you to your Gallery (library/storage area).

jb6ena7.png

Go to the task bar at the bottom of the screen and click the envelope to open you File Explorer.  Select Pictures.

MjnSJlf.png

Left click (hold down) to drag and drop the picture you would like into your Gallery.  It will place them in order for you, so you can drop them anywhere on the page.

A7v0NPq.png?1

The photo is now part of your Gallery... time to Edit!

1.  Scroll over the image you wish to edit.  You will see a pencil symbol and a trashcan.  Click on the pencil, which will highlight the image in a green box .  Click on the Edit tab on the top right.

QzdZ4Q4.png            3BmgIFY.png

To crop/re-size:

1.  Click on the Crop/Resize button.

2.  Using your mouse, create a box around the area to be saved.

3.  Hit Apply.

To change the size, go to the numbers on the top right of the page.

4.  I normally just use the one on the right (399 in this case) but you can use either.  Click on the box and back out the number, then add your own to reduce or enlarge the image.

5.  Hit SaveVERY IMPORTANT!

AJjnBqQ.png?1

The edited image is automatically changed and added to your Gallery.

To Rotate your image:

1.  1.  Scroll over the image you wish to edit.  You will see a pencil symbol and a trashcan.  Click on the pencil, which will highlight the image in a green box .  Click on the Edit tab on the top right.

2.  Click the Rotate tab. 

IMPORTANT:  You may have to reduce the size first in order to get the entire image on the screen and successfully save it.

W63fbKL.png?1

3.  It will give you 4 choices like this:

ndvMtML.png?1

3.  Click on the one you want and hit SAVE.

NOTE You cannot Crop/Resize until you have saved it.

O.K. time to post it up!

In your Gallery, LEFT click on the center area of the pic you wish to post, which will bring you to the area as seen below. 

1.  LEFT click on Copy next to Direct Link.

2.  Paste into your post or thread.

DONE DEAL!

qAnWXtf.png?2

Posting using a mobile device (phone): ***

***Special shout-outs to Glen (gmrhodes13) and Colin (OddViking327) for the following info. !! :jc_doublethumbup:

From Glen:

After adding the imgur app., upload to Imgur then click on the image, then hold thumb on the image, it will open an options page then select copy link, on left, then post into your thread. Doing it this way will give you a link with the image tag, ie: jpg or png and so on.

From Colin:

Use the phone app to upload to Imgur right from your phone (set it to private and you can post them here, but they won't be searchable in their feed, and you don't have to title them).  On each image on the Imgur in your Gallery, click it, and copy the BBCode tab *** and paste it into your post.  It won't show while writing your post, but will show after you hit "Submit Reply".  Super easy. And if people want to see a bigger version, clicking on it takes them to it.

fK1XYzn.png?2 

IMPORTANT!!

Once you have attached a photo into a post or thread, do NOT delete or edit it in your Gallery.  If you do so, it will disappear from your post.

If you have any questions or issues, please feel free to ask on this thread.

• Like 6

Great work Joseph.

FYI for those using a mouse (or tab) you can also right click on images in Imgur and select "copy" then "paste" directly into your thread

• Like 2

Great write up, Joseph. I’m going to share the link to this with our Garrison

Another tip: if you click the BBCode option, you can paste that straight into the post. No need to add the tags via the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, tarok said:

Great write up, Joseph. I’m going to share the link to this with our Garrison emoji4.png

Another tip: if you click the BBCode option, you can paste that straight into the post. No need to add the tags via the forum emoji6.png

Don't need to use the BBCode here or on a few other detachments but definitately need it on the legion forum and our local forums ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Don't need to use the BBCode here or on a few other detachments but definitately need it on the legion forum and our local forums ;) 

I use the Direct Link on the Legion boards with no problems.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

I use the Direct Link on the Legion boards with no problems.

Doesn't work for me, perhaps it's what device is used

vyYROuJ.jpg

When posting on the 501st site it's a little different.  To insert a photo there using the Direct Link you need to click on the Img button, which will give you the image seen below,

.  There will be a flashing line between those.  To post a pic, just right click on the flashing line and select Paste from the drop-down menu.

l1d2Vrm.png?1

Correct but if you copy the "BB code" link from Imgur you don't have to do any of that, it already has the IMG tags included, you just paste it into the post.

Hey what ever works for people, our local forum is phpBB so we use the code and tags quite a bit, a bit old school but has so many more tools.

Sorry for the derail, was just explaining there can be differences depending on what you use and how you use it ;)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Correct but if you copy the "BB code" link from Imgur you don't have to do any of that, it already has the IMG tags included, you just paste it into the post.

I really do learn something new here every day... thanks for the heads-up!  :salute:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cleantrooper said:

Hi all. I'm using Android smartphone. Is there any specific way to use imgur. It doesn't seem to accept url when I paste it. 

A few others have had this issue as well, Brett.  Not sure if it can be done (you may have to use a laptop/PC) but hopefully someone can weigh in.

1 hour ago, Cleantrooper said:

Hi all. I'm using Android smartphone. Is there any specific way to use imgur. It doesn't seem to accept url when I paste it. 

With Android I upload to Imgur, then click on the image, then hold thumb on the image, it will open an options page then select copy link, on left, then post into your thread. Doing it this way will give you a link with the image tag, ie: jpg or png and so on.

fN1oQgB.png

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Is there a particular set of numbers for size or pixels to go by when editing my photos in Imgur, or a website that has resizing ability? The reason I'm asking is because I just successfully added a photo to my thread I started, but after I uploaded the one photo, it says I only have like 47.xxkb left to post with. I selected a file from my laptop and added the file. That was probably the wrong way to do it. I'm assuming I won't run into this issue if I post the Imgur BBC link in my post instead?

5 minutes ago, ellington73 said:

Is there a particular set of numbers for size or pixels to go by when editing my photos in Imgur, or a website that has resizing ability? The reason I'm asking is because I just successfully added a photo to my thread I started, but after I uploaded the one photo, it says I only have like 47.xxkb left to post with. I selected a file from my laptop and added the file. That was probably the wrong way to do it. I'm assuming I won't run into this issue if I post the Imgur BBC link in my post instead?

Unfortunately this is the case, you can just imagine the amount of images this forum could have being the largest detachment in the legion, so there is a limit to how many images you can upload directly.

Many of us use Imgur which is a free image host, upload your photos there then post the links to them into your thread. No limit to what size you can upload there.

Best is to use the "direct link" from Imgur, or if using computer you can just right click on the image, select copy then paste it into your thread. 

1 hour ago, ellington73 said:

If you need me to remove images you have posted directly as opposed to using IMGUR or any other 3rd party share service, just let me know and I can remove them from the back end.

12 hours ago, Sly11 said:

If you need me to remove images you have posted directly as opposed to using IMGUR or any other 3rd party share service, just let me know and I can remove them from the back end.

Hey Sky11, I guess if you want to remove the one I posted earlier in this thread, that works with me, and I can just try commenting again with the IMGUR links. I appreciate all the info and the help gentlemen!

• Like 1

Decided to see if I could get this to work before I wanted it to work.  This was a couple years ago.  A friend at the time had this helmet.  I believe he mentioned it wasn't 501st accurate, he just had it on display.  From what I know now I know it isn't accurate.   So I tried it on.   Couldn't hardly get my head in and couldn't see much.  It took too many years to get the point I'm at now (patiently waiting on that commissioned build and gathering up all the other bits I'm going to need to do this right).  Bart

nyJwBJh.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Just a heads up: Imgur changed its ToS and isn't usable as a reliable long-term hoster due to that. We need to give a new recommendation on a reliable imagehost now to avoid getting photobucketed again.

For current images: they should end up on archive.org (there is a group of archivists which hunts endangered data and currently works on archiving as much imgur as they can find, they got the URLs from here) so we don't end up with a full loss like with the old photobucket deletion.

20 hours ago, masterx244 said:

Just a heads up: Imgur changed its ToS and isn't usable as a reliable long-term hoster due to that. We need to give a new recommendation on a reliable imagehost now to avoid getting photobucketed again.

For current images: they should end up on archive.org (there is a group of archivists which hunts endangered data and currently works on archiving as much imgur as they can find, they got the URLs from here) so we don't end up with a full loss like with the old photobucket deletion.

Great catch and Thanks for the update Tom,

I have only just loaded pics onto Imgur yesterday and was planning on uploading a heap more, it was to become my new hosting platform and you've saved me a lot of wasted time today :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

vor 3 Stunden schrieb riveting:

Great catch and Thanks for the update Tom,

I have only just loaded pics onto Imgur yesterday and was planning on uploading a heap more, it was to become my new hosting platform and you've saved me a lot of wasted time today :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Good thing on the old images here: the guys at archiveteam.org are already tracking down as much as they can (they got all links from here that can be seen without logging in).

seems like the only way to win is paid hosting :(. i switched to hosting on own server since a while already (computer nerd and for us a server and a domain are useful for quite a few things)