Gonna take the plunge soon

Hi, my name is JR and I'm 22 years old.

I've been looking to join the 501st for years, having met some members from the Dune Sea Garrison (I live in Arizona). I'm currently waiting for approval to be able to access the Dune Sea Garrison forums so I can ask various questions about the garrison there. In the mean time I was hoping to get some advice from here. I've been following TK 1636's videos on youtube to get a better grasp of the building process among various other youtubers.

I'm a bit of a larger lad being 6'1 about 240lbs with a 38" waist, gonna try to cut that down a bit though in anticipation to eventually trooping. After doing research, deciding on the armor, then doing more research and settling for a different kit, only to do more research... I think I have come to the conclusion that I would like to go for an Armor Master ANH derived TK. I've read that it suits larger troopers and fairly easy to assemble for noobies such as myself. I wanted to get some opinions before I take the plunge and send the email. Thanks!

• Like 5

Hello JR, welcome to FISD.

Seems like you did your home work! Remember to visit our build threads section see how others do it, and most important, start your own thread for your build, our experts can help you address various problem during your journey.

Good luck!  

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome! I'll definitely be forming my own build thread when the time comes! The local garrison will be having a building workshop event going on this month, perhaps I'll be able to attend but I to have a sort of sponsor there as well as a kit to work on, so I'll probably have to wait a few months for another one to come up.

Hopefully I'll be able to access the forums soon.

Edited by TheDecisiveRaindrop
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard!  Regardless of having anything to work on, be sure to check out the build party your Garrison is putting on.  Seeing the armour first hand is a huge advantage.  Good luck with your build - keep researching all you can!  :salute:

• Like 1

Welcome. I'm about that same build and I can tell you that I wish I had done the research you did. My ATA armor is just a bit too small for me. The folks in my squadron are helping me out, but I'm worried I'll be cutting, chopping and extending for a bit. Good Luck!

• Like 1

AM is a great choice for taller and fits a six pack as well as beer keg abs. Thick plastic with a glossy shine makes Vader smile. Check out all the build logs for AM, some are very detailed.

Welcome to the madness!

• Like 1

Welcome JR!

To FISD and to the Dune Sea Garrison (very soon i'm sure).  Definitely post up a build thread here on FISD.  You will get excellent feedback from people who know all about the white armor and if you have any problems there's always someone able to help you out.  Just remember to take it slow whenever you come up on anything that makes you scratch your head.

• Like 1

Dave was really quick to respond! I never realized he offered so many options! I told him I’m interested in the basic kit, but I am very excited for him to reply.

And thank you for the welcome Scott! I’m glad to see someone from our garrison on here!

Also thanks everyone for the warm and quick welcome! I now just need to find some soft bits like the under suit, boots, and neck seal and then get the supplies like magnets, E6000, and ABS paste. I think I should have the rest.

Edited by TheDecisiveRaindrop
  • Like 3

A little late to the party here, but welcome, JR!  I have a thread here that may help with the soft parts.   ABS paste is something you make yourself, and only if needed.  Kman has a great tutorial here.  Looking forward to seeing your build thread, and don't be shy when it comes to asking questions!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and very helpful links! Haven’t quite found those yet on my own :D

I just ordered the soft bits and finalizing my order with AM, the transaction should be finished by today hopefully. Once BBB day arrives a few months from now, I’ll get started on that build thread.

For movie accuracy, I ended up buying the padded gloves from Trooper Bay, so I’ll have some spare hand armor laying around. All of this is just too exciting!

• Like 1

You won’t be disappointed with AM. I was 5’10” 240lbs when I built mine and trimmed a bit off. I actually went up to about 260 and it still fit. It’s got plenty of room. Make sure to start a build thread. Those of us without builds like watching the fun unfold. And make sure to ask lots of questions we like to help too. Congrats on the purchase and welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, TheDecisiveRaindrop said:

I just ordered the soft bits and finalizing my order with AM

Like Frank said, you are going to be MORE than happy with AM.  AWESOME armor!

Hey JR, welcome aboard.

I'll echo what other members have been saying, AM armour is a good size, great details and quite a heavy duty kit so will hold up well to modification and the rigors of trooping.

We have a couple of TK's in our garrison that are over 6 foot tall and very solid and AM works well for them.

Generally AM leaves extra material so you can size it up or down.

• 3 weeks later...