IWRB

Hey Everyone,

I am a long time fan of star wars and have been thinking about joining the 501st for about a year now (wow time flies!). So it is great to meet you all. I am based in Sydney.

I really have no idea when it comes to building costumes and even where to start but would love to be a classic storm trooper, As a primary school teacher I am sure the kids would get a kick out of it and it would give me a good excuse to wear it during book week and other events such as presentation day haha.

The idea of building a costume from scratch is more daunting than I care to admit to so am hoping I might be able to find one that has already been built/ or someone who can walk me through it step by step!
Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it might cost? I am hoping it wont break the bank too much....

Cheers,

I

Hello and welcome to the FISD.

You made everything right in coming here for the classic Stormtroopers. :duim:

For a first overview, I would point you to the Getting Started section with A LOT of information.

This thread will help to get an idea about the costs. Some of our vetted makers also do commission builds, the prices vary of course.

Finding the best armor for you, also depends on your body size and shape.

It is always good to get in contact with your local Garrison. Here you can find your local Attaché, who will surely be happy to help.

Any questions, just let us know. We are here to help.

3 hours ago, IWRB said:

Hey Everyone,

I am a long time fan of star wars and have been thinking about joining the 501st for about a year now (wow time flies!). So it is great to meet you all. I am based in Sydney.

I really have no idea when it comes to building costumes and even where to start but would love to be a classic storm trooper, As a primary school teacher I am sure the kids would get a kick out of it and it would give me a good excuse to wear it during book week and other events such as presentation day haha.

The idea of building a costume from scratch is more daunting than I care to admit to so am hoping I might be able to find one that has already been built/ or someone who can walk me through it step by step!
Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it might cost? I am hoping it wont break the bank too much....

Cheers,

I

Welcome! Glad to have you.

TK kits are kits! So for "Scratch" work, you wont have to worry about casting or molding your own set of armor. Armor vendors sell kits for Helmets, Blasters, Gear and Armor itself. They come in all sorts of materials and styles. For most, you can count on wanting to have some garage / workshop space. Cutting out the armor from the sheets, glue, painting, riveting, etc. 

T-Jay's comment has great information for you to check out!

If you don't want to build a TK kit;

• You could come across a member of your 501st local Garrison (Star Cross Garrison for Sydney) who is selling a suit / kit they no longer want. Or a member on this site. 
  • Check to find a Vendor who does Commission work, where they will assemble your kit for you. Though, you will still have to do fitting / changes / work, as your body isn't there.
  • If those two don't work, you could purchase a kit and ask us here, and your Local Garrison! Local 501st members may offer to help you in person with your kit.

Rough idea for cost: 1,400.00 - 1,500.00 USD~

Where'd I get my number from? 
My Paypal bills tallied up more or less, and a bit more for stuff I will be getting for my TK, in a week+. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD!  The links you have been given so far will get you started for sure, but always feel free to ask any questions you may have.  The armorers in the "vetted" section are tried and true, but I strongly suggest steering clear of any kits you may find online, (ebay, etc.) as many of them are inferior in quality or re-casts (direct copies) of someone else's hard work.  This is a partial list, but always inquire here and we can let you know if it's legit.

Unfortunately this is not an inexpensive hobby to get into, but one that is definitely rewarding in a lot of ways.  The first time you step out in public as a "real" Stormtrooper and see the smiles on people's faces will make it all worth it.

Welcome aboard mate, glad TK Ratchet let me know you weren’t receiving the validation emails but obviously we got that fixed.
Plenty of help here as you would have gathered already. Don’t let the forums overwhelm you too much, and just ask for help or advice if you get too lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the FISD!  Yeah, don't let the idea of building a kit scare you - most of us had no idea what to do when we started too (and some of us still don't :P).

Everything you need to know is on this forum - and once you decide on a kit/vendor, just start a build thread and we will help you out every step of the way.  Additionally, your local Garrison may have build parties where you can meet other troopers and they will give you hands-on help.  There is something very satisfying about building your own kit.

The pre-built route is an option of course.  Commission builds will add to the cost - plus they will commonly require adjustments and fixes anyways.  The occasional set of armor goes up for sale from time to time in the "for sale" section - but these kits usually require even more adjusting to fit you properly.

• 1 month later...

Hi, welcome aboard the FISD. Fantastic!! The armor is sold in kits, each seller has its own price which can be more or less convenient, and if you want you can also have it assembled. Usually pre-cut kits to assemble do not exceed $ 600. If you want more information, I have nothing more to ask. ;)