Bought armour off someone on the avoid list, will this be a major issue?

chiefbonan

Hello, I've begun building my armour with my father and we're both having a blast making it. Spending more time together has been really nice. One issue though. My nightly ritual after armour building has been looking at all the topics on the forums, and getting tips and tricks from everyone. I happened to see the man I bought the armour off of Matt Gauthier, is on the DO NOT BUY list. I saw that a lot of people where displeased with his actions and he has been banned from any 501st fourms/media. All the armour arrived, made from ABS plastic. I am aware that they are probably recast, yet they seem to be fine from my eyes. Should I be worried? Thanks!

I can post pictues of our completed pieces for refrence if you want.

Matt's problems have been attitude, actions and delivering the armor on time to those who paid. He screwed over a lot of people back in the day. Apparently you're a lucky one.

Since you already got all the parts you'll be fine.

The only thing you should have been worried about was receiving it. But Matt seems to be delivering armour these days so you should be good. He was banned from getting in way over his head and simply not having the time to forfill orders and by the time he did he had spent the cash and couldn’t afford to make it or ship it.
But if you have it already there is no problem. His armour and helmets used to be the most accurate one to buy. They would only be recast from himself. It’s a reworked ROTJ armour made to look like ANH.
Other than RS, TM, myself and a couple of other makers most ANH helmets and armour derive from TE armour as CAP recast him and gave permission for anyone to recast the CAP armour and helmets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as the armour meets the requirements for the CRL you are working with you will be fine for 501st approval. What are you building?

Pictures alway help yo provide guidance, however the best people to talk to are you local garrison/outpost. As their GML will be the person with the final say regarding approval.

Recasting is frowned upon by the Legion as it is classed as stealing from the person who put in all the hard work and sometimes the quality of the armour is compromised and not as refined with some of the finer details lost. I'm not aware of the person you've mentioned or the circumstances around him being banned etc, so can't comment.

It's great that you and your dad are spending time together, I loved putting together my armour, it's a great process. It can be frustrating at times, but also therapeutic.

I'd suggest posting some pics, check the CRL and check in with your local GML.

Good luck future Trooper.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Welcome, Thomas (and Dad)!  You should have no issues getting the armor approved.  One thing I would suggest is starting a build thread here, that way you can post up photos and questions (as many as you like) all in one place.  We are here to help every step of the way, so never be afraid to ask us anything you need to.  :duim:

Welcome aboard Thomas, see, nothing to worry about, you even got a history lesson from some very trusted armour makers and members.

I’m sure there SHOULD NOT be a problem.... enjoy the TK BUILD with your dad..... BUT DONT STOP THERE.... go for a level2 EIB & 3 CENTURION BUILD !!! We are here for the help !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TK 71627 said:

I’m sure there SHOULD NOT be a problem.... enjoy the TK BUILD with your dad..... BUT DONT STOP THERE.... go for a level2 EIB & 3 CENTURION BUILD emoji51.png !!! We are here for the help !!!

Oh yeah, I'm already on my way for a cert 3 build, and my dad is planning to also!

• Like 2

Oh yeah, I'm already on my way for a cert 3 build, and my dad is planning to also!

VERY NICE ..... I love it !!!
Keep up the great work and the bonding…
Don’t let up… Keep us posted… We will make sure to get you two to level 3 !!!