Noob with some questions

SWDad1969

Hello everyone, my name is Brian and I’m from Northeast Ohio.  I have been reading these forums for a while now and starting to understand more, but have a looong way to go. I am interested in doing a sandtrooper, I’m 5’11” and 195lbs. I was thinking about building one but after seeing what’s involved I think I want to leave that for future builds.  I am handy and enjoy model building, but I will have enough to do with any armor adjustments, electronics etc. I really like RS so far and I’m leaning heavily toward them, but want your opinions based on what I want to do. Also, do you recommend the backpack?  Thank you all for any help and support you can provide. :dancing-trooper:

Hi Brian and welcome to the FISD.  As mentioned, The MEPD are our dirty brothers and they are the experts in sandtroopers.  However, the builds are very similar and there is a ton of info here for general stormtrooper building.  Plus, many of us have built both.

As for the backpack, you don't need it for basic approval.  You will however need one if you go for upper level approval.  As far as just having one for the fun of it... well... that is up to you.  The guys at MEPD will probably disown me for saying this, but I find the pack to be too much of a hassle to take on troops, so I have never worn it on a troop.  

49 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

so I have never worn it on a troop

Gaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!  I can´t belive you just said that...I mean wrote that but you know…….aaahhhh…...you´re not worthy….you´re not wor….Oh wait. your Trooper does not carry a pack - all good - move along move along.

49 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Gaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!  I can´t belive you just said that...I mean wrote that but you know…….aaahhhh…...you´re not worthy….you´re not wor….Oh wait. your Trooper does not carry a pack - all good - move along move along.

:laugh1:

Hi Brian and welcome to the FISD.  As mentioned, The MEPD are our dirty brothers and they are the experts in sandtroopers.  However, the builds are very similar and there is a ton of info here for general stormtrooper building.  Plus, many of us have built both.

As for the backpack, you don't need it for basic approval.  You will however need one if you go for upper level approval.  As far as just having one for the fun of it... well... that is up to you.  The guys at MEPD will probably disown me for saying this, but I find the pack to be too much of a hassle to take on troops, so I have never worn it on a troop.  

Well now your not welcomed there or here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for welcoming me.  As I said, I have an interest in the sandtrooper, but I am also considering the ANH stunt. I would love any feedback on why you chose your armor, and anything that may help sway my decision one way or another.  

1 minute ago, SWDad1969 said:

Thank you all for welcoming me.  As I said, I have an interest in the sandtrooper, but I am also considering the ANH stunt. I would love any feedback on why you chose your armor, and anything that may help sway my decision one way or another.  

While I'm still waiting for my kit to arrive, I chose Rogue 1 TKs over ANH, ESB, etc as I feel its the cleanest / perfect vision of the Stormtrooper. An elite troop of a Galactic Empire should look sharp and clean, no longer held back by bad molds / technology that didn't exist for the OT

1 hour ago, Junos said:

While I'm still waiting for my kit to arrive, I chose Rogue 1 TKs over ANH, ESB, etc as I feel its the cleanest / perfect vision of the Stormtrooper. An elite troop of a Galactic Empire should look sharp and clean, no longer held back by bad molds / technology that didn't exist for the OT

I just checked the Rogue 1 TK out and it is sweet!  That may be a consideration added to the list. The reason I was looking at the ANH was just because I saw that movie in the theaters when it first came out. I remember how that movie made me feel back then and how I couldn’t stop thinking about it.  So I guess it’s a bit of sentimental value for me. 

• Like 2

Hello Brian,

Welcome to FISD.

I am also a TD (Sandtrooper) trooping in a self-built RS set. If you are looking for that "Sentimental value" of yours then RS is the one to go to. You can start by building your suit and helmet first, get registered with your local Garrison, then move on to weapons and then the back pack. Tons of research and materials you have to go through for building one so make sure you spend the time to read through them before making your purchase decision.

Personally, I also recommend Troopermaster for Stromtrooper / Sandtrooper. It is as good as RS if not better.

Do check out our vetted vendor list for details on each of our vendor:

13 hours ago, SWDad1969 said:

My initial wants were a sandtrooper or snowtrooper.  I ended up building a stormtrooper first for three reasons; the opening scenes of ANH when we first see the troopers coming through that door, the fact that almost everyone knows what a stormtrooper is, and the abundant resources available for building an original trilogy stormtrooper (thanks to the awesome troopers here at FISD).  Based on that, I decided that my introduction to this hobby should be a classic stormtrooper.  There are a number of vendors out there with quality kits and there is a ton of info here at FISD to help you build it.  Some of the newer costumes don't have the same resources available (vendor choices, quality, reference material).  Also, I've grown to appreciate the wonky, asymmetrical look of the OT troopers - looks like true Star Wars.

As mentioned above, RS and Troopermaster are great options.  I went with AP mainly because he was geographically closer (Canada) and had quick shipping times.  I'm very happy with the kit (I have two - one is a TK and the other is a TD). 

p.s.  the snowtrooper is on order from Troopermaster. :)

• Like 1