Need help shaping the kidney piece

chiefbonan

Hello, I am trying to fit the kidney piece and the belly armour together, there is just one issue, the kidney seems to be too big! I am skinny myself so one side juts out, pictured here when one side is lined up:
0.jpg.a5eaf4d06ceaa1efe123f0dbaba7a0a1.jpg

How do I fix this so it lines up on the other side and still has the notches at the bottom? and So it fits correctly? Thank you

Have you tried the armour pieces on?

It's important to note that the strapping and your belt will pull in your armour around your body, so you may not need to reshape the pieces.

The strapping will also help align the notches etc.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes always test fit everything prior to changing anything. Even a test fitting using painters tape holding the whole kit together. This way you get a feel of how it will actually fit on you.

• Like 2

How much overlap is there? You could always add a bit of padding in there or try to shape it a bit. Even a little of both maybe? This is where we say photos are helpful as we can get a better idea of the issue.

• Like 1

Hello all, I've taken some more photos for you. It's pretty late right now where I am so I didn't have time to tape up the armour. I'm average height so that isn't the problem, it's more my wideness. As you can see I'm a bit of a stick. These photos are of me pressing each piece tightly against my body (mind the cat) and as center as I can. Hope you guys can help, everyone is so nice here it's crazy. From the first pic you can see the kidney plate goes out the sides, whereas the belly piece seems to fit more snug. other photos from other angles too. Sorry for the photo quality!

0.jpg.46afd89e7f12187bad81ffbcf973e986.jpg0.jpg.70e098b36b0ce1467389675befd840cf.jpg0.thumb.jpg.85b9e1e4b7909450df039fdf096d30e3.jpg

cleardot.gif

0.jpg

Edited by WawusTheWalrus

Hi Thomas, do you have a gap on the other side as well. From the first pics it appears there could be some overlap, but that could be fixed, given the gap shown.

As you've mentioned it's late where you are, so I'd suggest getting some tape tommorow, mock up the strapping and make sure everything is lined up before making a call.

Don't rush into reshaping or trimming if it's not nesscary.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi Thomas.  As mentioned above, once you tighten a belt around your armor, you may not need to reshape anything - and adding foam can work very well too.  From what I can see in the pictures, your alignment of parts looks fairly typical.

That said, I had to reshape my kidney piece.  I used a hot water bath (in a very large pot and did one side at a time).  The issue with doing this is the return edge that runs along the top and/or bottom - it will want to buckle if you bend the plastic too much.  I had to go in with a heat gun on the buckled return edge - carefully head it up and flattened it between two pieced of wood.  I wish I had pictures in my build for you - but I checked and I just have one picture that doesn't show much.

And remember - wearing your shirt versus wearing your undersuit will make a difference with the fit.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by wook1138

You'll find once you have strapping on it will help pull these areas inwards, I'm also very thin and have the armor trimmed to it's minimum size and still use padding in some areas, especially behind the ab plate so they don't overlap when my belt is tightened ;) 

16 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You'll find once you have strapping on it will help pull these areas inwards, I'm also very thin and have the armor trimmed to it's minimum size and still use padding in some areas, especially behind the ab plate so they don't overlap when my belt is tightened ;) 

Yeah I was thinking of putting padding in it, as I am also thin