Star Wars Rebels C1-10P 3D build (Chopper)

Hello all! It's been a minute. I've been busy trooping trooping of course but have also gotten bit by the 3D printing bug. Printers are so inexpensive right now that I finally pulled the trigger late last year. After printing a bunch of "smaller" Star Warsy stuff I decided to jump in and build the droid I have been looking for. I've been wanting to add a "life size" working droid to my rotation and with the help of Thingiverse, astromech.net and a couple of facebook groups. I started this build late November 2019.

Let me say from go, this is like watching paint dry. I am doing this on one printer and it's a small/average one at best. But like anything else we do, it's hurry up but slow down and wait. Anyhow, I love my brothers and sisters in plastic so I wanted to just pop a few WIP pics up for you all. My end goal is to have him completed and running for May. 

Again, here are some pics, if anyone else is building a droid and would love to share info I am all ears. I am spending a bunch of time of astromech.net trying to learn about all this electronic stuff but honestly, it hurts my head.

The print that started it all.

iPnd0qK.jpg

• Like 2

Smaller pieces print faster, as mentioned before I am impatient so I started to seek out smaller to prints cause staring at this rings not able to "see it" is driving me nuts!!

3Va0ZXd.jpg

So none of this glued at this point. In actuality, it's still not glued. Real talk, I am terrified. It reminds me of my first cut on my TK build. I know I can do this, it's just more permanent. E6000 was always a fail safe. This is 2 part epoxy glue and if I don't get it right it will mean days more of printing! :56pullhair:

What do I print next, Chopper has what they call a skirt. In the show it's where his 3rd wheel or rocket booster comes out of. Do I print that or do I start on the dome. The legs scare the poop out of me so I may just leave those last!

Skirt it is!!

FVYfniV.jpg

days and days of printing...

Honestly, I am amazed by the people who design this stuff. Its a work of art in itself. All the skirt pieces are the same with the exception of one which has holes in it to attach the caster mount.

nxIfwLG.jpg

and it's done.

Lg3vr8Y.jpg

At this point I am starting to realize that I will be spending a lot of time gluing, using auto body filler, sanding, priming, filler and sanding again.

Edited by zv288bot

I going for the dome! I order PLA+ in orange. My OCD/ADD/XYZ will not allow me to print this any other color. I understand it will be painted with gray primer but I am gonna be staring at this thing for month before then. I need to see his head in the color it was went to be.

Here it comes!!!

tgXpr0p.jpg

One piece done and 17 more to go! :vomit-into-the-toilet:

Xl8fgDy.jpg

So much printing! Excited to see the dome come together! This is 6 pieces and just the top ring. I now have 12 pieces for the lower ring to go. All of those prints are 22 hours each!

bH78jnp.jpg

Hey, that wasn't so bad. See, just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

7rZPnZ0.jpg

And I printed and purchased some eye balls. I even started to glue! This is my first pieces glued together.

T3DVsH6.jpg

I will be cutting a styrene top for the dome. I have a periscope and side doors to print to be fully complete with this dome but not needed at the moment to get this guy going. I'm off to start printing the skins for this dude.

• Like 1

Looks great Jorge! My Tapatalk was blowing up when you were posting your progress yesterday, but I enjoyed watching your fast-forwarded progress in “real” time. Haha. I believe I saw in the 3D forum that you use a Creality printer. Perhaps someday I can get my own; I’m sorta eyeing the same one, or an Anet A6. Definitely can’t afford a Prusa. Looking forward to your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looks great Jorge! My Tapatalk was blowing up when you were posting your progress yesterday, but I enjoyed watching your fast-forwarded progress in “real” time. Haha. I believe I saw in the 3D forum that you use a Creality printer. Perhaps someday I can get my own; I’m sorta eyeing the same one, or an Anet A6. Definitely can’t afford a Prusa. Looking forward to your progress!

Haha! I know right. You guys are currently up to date. That was almost 2 months of printing. Get your TK first :P then buy a 3D printer. Honestly it’s a lot of fun and I definitely recommend the Ender 3 pro. It’s been nothing but good times.

• Like 1

This is awesome Jorge, love it!

Perhaps if you can find a little time you could add something in our 3D section about your Ender 3 pro the good and any bad and why you recommend it. That would be some great and valuable info for our members looking to get into printing for themselves.

Great work.

• Like 1

While all of that was happening my little printer that could continues to churn out panel/skin pieces. I have the front armature pieces printed as well, just need to stop at the Depot to pic up some PVC pipe and nuts and bolts.

GcD5OKG.jpg

• Like 1

So I have 4 panels to go to complete the skins for this guy. Unfortunately for my patience, to fit my printer I had to cut them in half, thank you microsoft 3D builder, you made that process super simple. If you haven't used it, it's free, if you have windows 10 it should be loaded on your computer and it's as simple as tinkercad. So far, each of those panels will be taking my printer approximately, 1 day, 18hours and 11mins according to Cura.  :shok:

Edited by zv288bot
  • Like 1