From one helmet to another

Hey folks!  Lurker, finally decided to make an account!

Where to start..!  Been a fan of Star Wars since I was a kid (but that's obvious around here!)   I'm a Firefighter-Paramedic, originally hailing from Canada, but I currently reside an hour or so outside of Atlanta.)  Always wanted to be able to suit up like a Stormtrooper, but only recently put enough money away to be able to pull the trigger.

I already own 2 helmets albeit not 501st approved (Black Series, which I hated because I couldn't look upwards, and the eFX ANH model off eBay for a little over $120, brand new, but scuffed up on the production line.  Managed to get every single scuff and scratch out of it with toothpaste and elbow grease! So I think I got a decent deal), but it's mostly just for me to fiddle around with, getting voice mods, amps, etc and testing out how to wear it and feel comfortable- oh and to have fun at work with (A few of the guys at work are HUGE Star Wars fans!  Plus, imagine seeing a Stormtrooper sitting in an ambulance!)  I've been rather weary about purchasing a full set of armor, mostly because I'm 6'2" and a little soft 'round the middle; Not easy to be able to eat healthy while jammed in an ambulance for 16 hours of the day! 

Currently I'm working on 3D printing various odd and bits from the universe; right now, working on an E-11 Blaster (80% scale due to the limitations of my 3D printer).

Outside of the fandom, I'm into MUD/MUCKing (I have a few OCs I interact as), Astrophotography- I own 4 Telescopes (Meade Polaris 130, Celestron Nexstar 4SE, 127SLT and Evolution 8 on an AVX computerized mount), I played Ice Hockey in High School(Go, Rebels!), and I build PCs.

Well that's me in a nutshell (or nutcase as my friends would say)

1 hour ago, TheLorelei said:

Welcome! Plenty of nutcases here, too - you'll feel right at home. :) Have you picked a vendor yet?

I've been dragging my tail trying to decide, I'd like to put it down to being so much to absorb and not wanting to jump the gun and realize I've goofed.  I've heard good things about AM2.0 (but all the reviews and topics were from ages ago, so I dunno if they're still viable), Also heard good things about RT-MOD, but the wait time is hellish.  Then I came across TKUK's stuff and damn good pricing but.. I'm pretty sure it wasn't 501st approved out of the box and on top of having to put it all together myself (And without a shop of some sort, that's no easy task), then have to mod it to make it *possibly* acceptable, or maybe at worse having it not fit correctly- the thought just gives me a migraine!

I've been dragging my tail trying to decide, I'd like to put it down to being so much to absorb and not wanting to jump the gun and realize I've goofed.  I've heard good things about AM2.0 (but all the reviews and topics were from ages ago, so I dunno if they're still viable), Also heard good things about RT-MOD, but the wait time is hellish.  Then I came across TKUK's stuff and damn good pricing but.. I'm pretty sure it wasn't 501st approved out of the box and on top of having to put it all together myself (And without a shop of some sort, that's no easy task), then have to mod it to make it *possibly* acceptable, or maybe at worse having it not fit correctly- the thought just gives me a migraine!

Hey trooper,
Welcome aboard. :-)

To save you a lot of regret down the line, I’d highly, highly recommend staying away from TKUK. The actual plastic armour moulds (shape, size, colour) are far from accurate.

Try this list of vetted sellers: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

Any questions, just shout. :-)

Dan

Welcome to the FISD!  As mentioned, check out the vetted vendors list.  There are a few options when it comes to sizing up the armor - AM is an option, I believe WTF (Walt's Trooper factory) makes some oversized parts, and RT-MOD was handed over to PandaProps the last I heard - I'm not entirely sure the current status of those kits.  I'm sure there are other options that I'm just not thinking of.  I have AP armor which has larger ab and kidney parts to help accommodate those of us with less than active lifestyles. :)  

Welcome to the FISD Jake!  Sounds familiar, I'm 6' 2" as well and North of the weight I care to be.  I have kits and/or parts from the vendors you mentioned.  With the WTF kit I was able to get oversized thighs and a COD from Walt.  As with WTF, the lead time with my AM2.0 armor was quick.  I've only dealt with RT-MOD prior to the transition to PandaProps.  PM me with any questions.

Welcome to the forums!  I find it's always helpful to drag a medic around wherever you go regardless of duty status. ;)  Take your time and do your research before pulling the trigger on that gun.  You'll want to not only be sure you've gotten a good deal on whatever you buy but that you'll be happy with your purchase after you start working on it.

Thanks for the welcome folks.  Feeling a little less nervous about getting into all this

17 hours ago, Hesikaya said:

Welcome to the forums!  I find it's always helpful to drag a medic around wherever you go regardless of duty status. ;)

Hah I may have to get a Stormsurgeon pauldron just for kicks and giggles.  To be fair at least the medics have better accuracy than most troopers :laugh1:

On 1/16/2020 at 9:02 AM, Cybergrunt said:

Sounds familiar, I'm 6' 2" as well and North of the weight I care to be.  I have kits and/or parts from the vendors you mentioned.  With the WTF kit I was able to get oversized thighs and a COD from Walt.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:05 AM, wook1138 said:

There are a few options when it comes to sizing up the armor - AM is an option, I believe WTF (Walt's Trooper factory) makes some oversized parts,  I have AP armor which has larger ab and kidney parts to help accommodate those of us with less than active lifestyles. :)  

Sounds like a few you guys mix-and- match parts eh?  I've got about $1500 saved up.  The only thing I'm weary is having to probably add shims and making it all flush, I'm not particularly much of a handyman- then again I suppose a dremmel, scrap test parts and youtube ought to at least help out.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, KyprosNighthawk said:

Sounds like a few you guys mix-and- match parts eh?  I've got about $1500 saved up.  The only thing I'm weary is having to probably add shims and making it all flush, I'm not particularly much of a handyman- then again I suppose a dremmel, scrap test parts and youtube ought to at least help out.

Before I built my TK I didn't even know what ABS plastic was (aside from the plumbing in my house).  With the money you've saved up, you should be in good shape.  I highly recommend going for an untrimmed kit - not only is this a more economical option, it also gives you a bit more latitude to make pieces fit you properly.

There are many "how to" threads on this forum too.  And yes, Youtube has some gems as well.  A dremmel is good to have.  Some lexan scissors and various sandpapers are good too.  Depending on your body shape and the level of accuracy you are going for, you may not even need to shim.  But if you do, it is not as daunting as it seems... and we are here to help. :duim:

• Like 1

Welcome to FISD Jake, you will fit right in here brother.

I see you have been dealt some great advice already, but make sure you always ask plenty of questions if ever uncertain about anything, we are all here to help.

On 1/16/2020 at 1:18 AM, KyprosNighthawk said:

I've heard good things about AM2.0 (but all the reviews and topics were from ages ago, so I dunno if they're still viable)..

"... on top of having to put it all together myself (And without a shop of some sort, that's no easy task".

Welcome, Jake!  Some great advice so far.  If I could throw in my 2 credit's worth, AM is a fantastic set of armor.  My Stunt and HWT are from them, and after years of trooping no cracks, splits or yellowing, and Dave is GREAT to deal with!

As for "having to put it all together" that is where we come in.  Many (if not most) folks here had no experience building a costume like this, but with our help you can do it, I promise.  You don't need a workshop, just some spare room and the correct tools.  

When you receive your kit, just start a build thread here.  That way, you can ask all the questions you like (no limit, lol), post up pics of your progress and any issues you may come across.  It may seem daunting, but with some time and patience we will help you achieve your dream of becoming a shiny white spaceman!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

AM is a fantastic set of armor.  My Stunt and HWT are from them, and after years of trooping no cracks, splits or yellowing, and Dave is GREAT to deal with!

This might actually help answer something I've been wondering-  Regarding Hero vs Stunt.  Is that ONLY just the helmet, or is the whole armor set different?  From the references I've seen it looked to me like the stunt armor was more bulky and stout.

On 1/17/2020 at 10:32 AM, wook1138 said:

I highly recommend going for an untrimmed kit - not only is this a more economical option, it also gives you a bit more latitude to make pieces fit you properly.

I pretty much was just thinking of going with the largest untrimmed set- less shimming for me to do and it's always better to have too much than too little gear.  Annoyingly, I've got the build of a linebacker......who just realized he's getting a little too close for comfort to being moved to defensive tackle :glare: 

52 minutes ago, KyprosNighthawk said:

This might actually help answer something I've been wondering-  Regarding Hero vs Stunt.  Is that ONLY just the helmet, or is the whole armor set different?  From the references I've seen it looked to me like the stunt armor was more bulky and stout.

The armor is the same, less the canvas belt setup (2 rivets vs 4 rivets fixing the holster on the left side).

With Hero you have the option to carry a Thermal Detonator at the back or a Grappling Hook Assembly (you still need the Detonator for clearing into the Legion).