Michigander with a dream

Junos

Hello hello!

Where to start...

I'm sorta new to all this, well, a bit! Around 3-4 years ago, I was a -18 highschooler that loved the Clone Wars and the Grand Army of the Republic. I would lurk around on the Clone Forums, and ocassionally chime in here or there. Since then, I've certainly matured, and so have my thoughts! Without a doubt, the Galactic Imperial Empire is the rightful force in the Galaxy, supported by the brave Stormtrooper Corps, Imperial Navy and Imperial Army!

One long time thought in the back of my head, even when I was a kid, was owning a full set of armor and trooping. Back then It was more of a dream off in the sky, but with age comes experience, knowlege, a garage full of tools, an even stronger desire to pursue dreams AND a bank account just for that. Haha.

Over the years, I've slowly been able to collect, though, mainly random equipment. A Black Series TK helmet here, a Black Series TK helmet there..... I need a wall for my helmet collection.... I've cosplayed / "Trooped" in a Halo 4 Spartan Armor costume down in the comic cons, and slowly have been learning the swing of things.

(Like, stay outside / near the waterfront when in full gear, as all the padding and clothing practically makes you into a walking furnace. Another being.... Mass produced businesses [Amazon] aren't reaaaally building up to the quality these costumes should be.... The thin plastic they use has cracked and shredded itself just through wear and tear)

With that being said, I think its obvious now that I'm interesting in building a set of armor to call my own, though... I have some questions! 

The forums here contain amazing information. The Do's and Don'ts, Tips for trooping (The day before hydration really is something useful. Usually I just power through dehydration). Where to look for Verified Armorers.... How to join a Garrison (In the progress!) 

*Hasbro Black Series Helmets... Better for decoration and not function right?

*The Verified Armorers / Builders list seems a bit outdated..? For interest in FO kits, 'jimmiroquai' seems to be MIA... though that's just from forum observation. I could be wrong.

*How sturdy really are the kits? I have trust in ABS plastic, but in my experience, that's just because how darn thick it can be. As stated above, I have a set of "mass produced" armor from Halo, which has seen quite the damage from just 5-6 troops, at around 4-5 hour intervals.

*Is it wrong to assume most of the insider information / buyers / armorers are locked up on Facebook? While I would rather not use Facebook out of personal feelings about the site, if its where the goods are kept, I'll go.

*Snowtroopers.... I would imagine Imperial Snowtrooper outfits to be extremely hot... especially with the face mask trapping all the heat in. Do FO Snowtroopers suffer the same? From a design aspect, they look more mobile, and look to have more 'gaps/ seams'.

*Can you wear glasses while in full gear + helmet? I don't have much problems with the Black Series helmets, but I'm unsure if those are size accurate. 

*Are there 501st approved paints? Or does it just come down to whatever you can get your hands on, that's screen accurate (Is there a color scheme chart available? Or is that way too much for troopers that only contain the colors: Light Blue, Black, White, Grey.) 

*How flexible (armor and pose-ability) is Imperial TK / FO TK armor? In the Halo armor I wore... Bending down was completely out of the question haha. Hopefully It's possible to sit down and not accidentally crack / sit on a armor piece?

*Roleplay breaking. If I'm ever to be 501st approved / in event, obviously the rules to stay in character are to be followed. For a example situation, are these same rules to be applied when Solo Trooping? Does the helmet always stay on? While I don't think eating food in armor would be great for the armor, sometimes when inside the Comic Con, you'll be starving after walking for hours. 
(If you're doing Out of character things, does the armor have to be entirely off. Sounds a bit weird to ask, but I just want to be respectful/ follow the rules)

I'll probably ask more questions when I think / discover them. At the moment, I have a lot of time on my hands, that I would love to apply to this. Currently I'm split between FO Snowtrooper, or a Rogue One/ANH Stormtrooper. Been staring at KBProp's page, aswell as Authentic Props. From review on the forums both seem like strong picks for troopers. Anyone personally have input? 

You can't ever seem to go wrong picking a Stormtrooper, though with Disney's FO Snowtrooper... I just can't help not loving the design. It reminds me of the Proto-stormtrooper concept art, looks clean (and could work great for outside work in the Michigan snow and freezing temps lol) 

Stormtrooper:
Literally perfect. Decades of documentation for building, trooping. Recognizable for eternity. 

FO Snowtrooper:
Seeeeems to be little interest around the Garrisons...? FO Stormtroopers hogging the screentime. Trooping could be short, as it (looks to be) a functional, cold climate outfit. Though stylish. 

As said before, any input is welcome.

Thanks for welcoming me! For some final information, I'm currently 20 y/o. 5'7, 130 lbs. I feel now would be a good time to build a armor kit, as I haven't gotten any taller, or gained weight in years.
(I've been told that will change later in life)

Edited by Junos

1 hour ago, Junos said:

I have some questions! 

*Hasbro Black Series Helmets... Better for decoration and not function right?  Decoration, yes,  Approvable?  Not without a LOT of work in many cases.

*The Verified Armorers / Builders list seems a bit outdated..? For interest in FO kits, 'jimmiroquai' seems to be MIA... though that's just from forum observation. I could be wrong.

I assure you this is kept up to date.  Jimmi may not always get back to you immediately, but he has a sterling reputation here for FOTK armor.

*How sturdy really are the kits? I have trust in ABS plastic, but in my experience, that's just because how darn thick it can be. As stated above, I have a set of "mass produced" armor from Halo, which has seen quite the damage from just 5-6 troops, at around 4-5 hour intervals.  The "vetted" armorers here use quality materials which will last many, many years if properly taken care of.

*Is it wrong to assume most of the insider information / buyers / armorers are locked up on Facebook? While I would rather not use Facebook out of personal feelings about the site, if its where the goods are kept, I'll go.  You can get in touch with any of the vetted armorers via the list.  FB?  I am not a fan either.  Know that the FISD really is the True Home of all things related to TKs, and the knowledge here is unparalleled.  Anywhere.  We are also a judgement free zone, so you are more than welcome (and encouraged) to ask all the questions you like, no matter how small.

*Snowtroopers.... I would imagine Imperial Snowtrooper outfits to be extremely hot... especially with the face mask trapping all the heat in. Do FO Snowtroopers suffer the same? From a design aspect, they look more mobile, and look to have more 'gaps/ seams'.  That's a different animal, as they belong to the Blizzard Force Detachment.

*Can you wear glasses while in full gear + helmet? I don't have much problems with the Black Series helmets, but I'm unsure if those are size accurate.  Glasses are worn by many troopers.  Depending on their style/frame they can fit into most helmets.

*Are there 501st approved paints? Or does it just come down to whatever you can get your hands on, that's screen accurate (Is there a color scheme chart available? Or is that way too much for troopers that only contain the colors: Light Blue, Black, White, Grey.)  No 501st "approved" paints, but I have a list of the most commonly used ones in my Build Supply thread.  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-ot-tk-build/

*How flexible (armor and pose-ability) is Imperial TK / FO TK armor? In the Halo armor I wore... Bending down was completely out of the question haha. Hopefully It's possible to sit down and not accidentally crack / sit on a armor piece?  Not overly.  Some troopers can sit down, but it is a rarity.  Yes, armor can crack due to stress, but when trooping we are usually in public view so we don't sit.  Most events are only a few hours or less, so we just deal with it.

*Roleplay breaking. If I'm ever to be 501st approved / in event, obviously the rules to stay in character are to be followed. For a example situation, are these same rules to be applied when Solo Trooping? Does the helmet always stay on?  I personally never remove my bucket.  At most troops, (and some Cons) there is normally a private dressing area for the 501st.  If I want to take a break, I go there.  Some Garrisons like the UKG forbid helmet removal in public.
(If you're doing Out of character things, does the armor have to be entirely off. Sounds a bit weird to ask, but I just want to be respectful/ follow the rules)  No questions are "weird".  It's always better to ask.

I'll probably ask more questions when I think / discover them. At the moment, I have a lot of time on my hands, that I would love to apply to this. Currently I'm split between FO Snowtrooper, or a Rogue One/ANH Stormtrooper. Been staring at KBProp's page, aswell as Authentic Props. From review on the forums both seem like strong picks for troopers. Anyone personally have input?   Both makers are great choices and have solid reputations.

Stormtrooper:
Literally perfect. Decades of documentation for building, trooping. Recognizable for eternity.  Without a doubt the most recognizable and popular costume in the entire Legion.

FO Snowtrooper:
Seeeeems to be little interest around the Garrisons...? FO Stormtroopers hogging the screentime. Trooping could be short, as it (looks to be) a functional, cold climate outfit. Though stylish.  I trooped with a few Snowies when I lived in FL., but as you said, that costume can get a bit warm.

I'm currently 20 y/o. 5'7, 130 lbs. I feel now would be a good time to build a armor kit, as I haven't gotten any taller, or gained weight in years.  Most armor is designed for those around 5'10-11, 160 lbs. but they can be easily cut down a bit to fit you perfectly, and we are here to help!
(I've been told that will change later in life)  Much later, so I wouldn't sweat it!

Welcome to the FISD, and I hope those answers help you out a bit.  Research will be the key to building a great set of armor, but as I mentioned above we are here to assist you in any way we can.

• Like 2

While we may have a few members that can help you with Snowie info, this detachment is entirely about Imperial Storm troopers and First Order Stormtroopers and mainly the shiny white versions.

There are pros and cons to both OT and FO TK costumes, but both are  very difficult to bend over in lol.

The OT TK undersuit is simply black compression gear so the ability to cool down when there is a breeze absolutely exist. In an FO set of armour built accurately with rubber gaskets does not allow for that airflow so definitely is a hotter costume to wear. There are fabric gaskets available which are more breathable but still hot.

Range of motion differs in both but this also comes down to how you trim the armour to fit your body type and build.

Negotiating stairs in OT armour is very difficult for some but easier for others again due to how its fitted and how long your limbs are.

FO TK's tend to walk a very specific way due to the armour and gaskets so mobility is affected differently.

Many of the OT armour kits available have parts that have screen lineage so originals were cast from parts of the genuine armour many years ago.

For OT the average height of the actors was between 5'9" - 5'11" so much of the armour fits that range up to and over 6'.

As armour can be trimmed to fit we have plenty of troopers shorter than 5'9" that have very successfully made armour fit them very well.

Im aiming to use the word armour more than 10 times here ;)

The construction of an OT kit is vastly different than constructing and FO kit, the later involving much more work, sanding and final painting so more expensive to build overall.

Jimmi is one of the makers of FO armour, but there are more, KB for example (Kevin Brice)

Hope this small amount of info gets you researching further and helps get you a little bit closer in your decision making process.

Good luck on your journey Junos

• Like 1

If you get glasses on with a BS Tk bucket you should be able to get them on on most OTTK lids, too. BS one doesnt fit my head (just a little bit too small) while i can wear my glasses below my RS lid.

BS lids are sort of the "gateway drug" towards the accurate stuff btw

Edited by masterx244

Just want to start by saying, welcome to the forum!  You've already received a few answers to you're questions, just want to add that you're in the right spot and doing the right thing by asking the questions.  I went to MANY troops and asked TONS of questions before purchasing my first TK armor.  You'll find that patience is a virtue when researching and ordering.

• Like 1

Welcome to FISD .  As I can see you're in the right path searching, reading and  asking everything. this is the clue to make the best decision .

Good luck with your project and hoping you can make your dream come true.

Cheers and welcome again.  :peace:

Welcome to the FISD!  Looks like most of your questions have been answered.  One thing about the Rogue One TK and the original trilogy TK (I'm not sure if this was mentioned above) - they are different costumes.  The Black Series stormtrooper bucket is Rogue One.  As far as picking a build - the original trilogy TK is very well established and there are many good vendors out there for it.  First Order and Rogue One kits are obviously newer and there are fewer vendors and resources available for them.  Also, although I don't have experience with the FO TKs, my understanding is that they are more difficult to size down to a slimmer build - someone with experience can correct me - but it might be something to look into.

Whatever you decide, congrats on making one of the best decisions of your life. :)  Trooping is awesome!

Welcome to the Forums Junos!  Nice to see a Michigander on here.  I ran away from there many years ago to live in the desert but I would expect to hear that Michigan would be teeming with snow troopers. 

Sounds like you are on the right path with all those questions. I don't think it's been mentioned yet but, also find your local garrison and get in touch with them.  You might get lucky enough to meet someone with the same costume you're considering building and get some tips from them too.

A lot of the costumes get hot, especially inside the helmet.  There's a bit of information out there on rigging up small computer fans to help keep you cool.  You can run them off of small USB battery packs like you would buy to recharge your phone. I have 2 pair that run off two switches along with a hearing aid/assist unit so I can still hear what's going on outside my bucket in fabulous stereo.  Blows other troopers minds when you can hear them and there talking a few feet away.

Welcome! In re: the Facebook thing - just wanted to note that I accomplished *most* of my build without using Facebook at all. Armor vendors are generally reachable by email. When it came time to get my blaster, however, I was reduced to using my mother's Facebook account to contact the maker.

ABS is indeed wonderful. As for sitting down, some of us can. Has to do with your particular body/flexibility, the way your cod piece is joined to your ab, and how much you trust your butt plate to not crack, from what I can tell.

I thought I'd be able to wear my glasses in my bucket but haven't been able to manage it, nor has it ended up being terribly important as I can barely see anything anyway.

On 1/13/2020 at 6:36 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Welcome to the FISD, and I hope those answers help you out a bit.  Research will be the key to building a great set of armor, but as I mentioned above we are here to assist you in any way we can.

Thank you!

On 1/13/2020 at 6:47 AM, Sly11 said:

While we may have a few members that can help you with Snowie info, this detachment is entirely about Imperial Storm troopers and First Order Stormtroopers and mainly the shiny white versions.

There are pros and cons to both OT and FO TK costumes, but both are  very difficult to bend over in lol.

The OT TK undersuit is simply black compression gear so the ability to cool down when there is a breeze absolutely exist. In an FO set of armour built accurately with rubber gaskets does not allow for that airflow so definitely is a hotter costume to wear. There are fabric gaskets available which are more breathable but still hot.

Range of motion differs in both but this also comes down to how you trim the armour to fit your body type and build.

Negotiating stairs in OT armour is very difficult for some but easier for others again due to how its fitted and how long your limbs are.

FO TK's tend to walk a very specific way due to the armour and gaskets so mobility is affected differently.

Many of the OT armour kits available have parts that have screen lineage so originals were cast from parts of the genuine armour many years ago.

For OT the average height of the actors was between 5'9" - 5'11" so much of the armour fits that range up to and over 6'.

As armour can be trimmed to fit we have plenty of troopers shorter than 5'9" that have very successfully made armour fit them very well.

Im aiming to use the word armour more than 10 times here ;)

The construction of an OT kit is vastly different than constructing and FO kit, the later involving much more work, sanding and final painting so more expensive to build overall.

Jimmi is one of the makers of FO armour, but there are more, KB for example (Kevin Brice)

Hope this small amount of info gets you researching further and helps get you a little bit closer in your decision making process.

Good luck on your journey Junos

I didn't think about the rubber gaskets on the body suit. Talk about a heat trap. 
I think I should be barely able to make it for a 'short-trooper'! I was wrong on my listed measurement. I'm 5'8.
Thank you for the good wishes and info!

On 1/13/2020 at 7:59 AM, masterx244 said:

If you get glasses on with a BS Tk bucket you should be able to get them on on most OTTK lids, too. BS one doesnt fit my head (just a little bit too small) while i can wear my glasses below my RS lid.

BS lids are sort of the "gateway drug" towards the accurate stuff btw

BS lids are totally a gateway drug. I want to buy all of them. Shadowtrooper, Scout... Incinerator.... 

On 1/13/2020 at 8:10 AM, Cybergrunt said:

Just want to start by saying, welcome to the forum!  You've already received a few answers to you're questions, just want to add that you're in the right spot and doing the right thing by asking the questions.  I went to MANY troops and asked TONS of questions before purchasing my first TK armor.  You'll find that patience is a virtue when researching and ordering.

Oh yeah! I mean, it could be said 'I've been waiting my whole life for this' haha. Patience is indeed a virtue from what I've seen here and around. As long as you can keep your head on and relax, you should be good!

On 1/13/2020 at 8:53 AM, TKSpartan said:

Welcome to FISD .  As I can see you're in the right path searching, reading and  asking everything. this is the clue to make the best decision .

Good luck with your project and hoping you can make your dream come true.

Cheers and welcome again.  :peace:

Thank you!

On 1/13/2020 at 10:38 AM, wook1138 said:

Welcome to the FISD!  Looks like most of your questions have been answered.  One thing about the Rogue One TK and the original trilogy TK (I'm not sure if this was mentioned above) - they are different costumes.  The Black Series stormtrooper bucket is Rogue One.  As far as picking a build - the original trilogy TK is very well established and there are many good vendors out there for it.  First Order and Rogue One kits are obviously newer and there are fewer vendors and resources available for them.  Also, although I don't have experience with the FO TKs, my understanding is that they are more difficult to size down to a slimmer build - someone with experience can correct me - but it might be something to look into.

Whatever you decide, congrats on making one of the best decisions of your life. :)  Trooping is awesome!

I spent some time looking into the subtle differences of all the OT / R1 armors. I had no idea there was so many! Especially comparing Stunts to heros, or ANH to ROTJ. I'll be going with the R1 build. In my eyes it looks to be the perfect rendition of what a TK should be. No technical limitations in the way when they were made. Crisp, Chean and from what it looks / what I've researched; Very mobile/ comfortable for trooping thanks to a few extra straps / exposed areas / ect. For this, I've been looking into 850Armorworks, and HeadshotProps. While they aren't on the verified list for the forums, the reviews seem pretty good (on here, on their sites, etsy, ect) , with the only negatives seeming to be 'Long delivery'. As stated above, Patience is key! 

unknown.png
Example image.

On 1/13/2020 at 12:09 PM, Pyrates said:

Welcome to the Lines of the FISD - great to have you with us!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glad to be here, thank you!

On 1/13/2020 at 1:37 PM, Hesikaya said:

Welcome to the Forums Junos!  Nice to see a Michigander on here.  I ran away from there many years ago to live in the desert but I would expect to hear that Michigan would be teeming with snow troopers. 

Sounds like you are on the right path with all those questions. I don't think it's been mentioned yet but, also find your local garrison and get in touch with them.  You might get lucky enough to meet someone with the same costume you're considering building and get some tips from them too.

A lot of the costumes get hot, especially inside the helmet.  There's a bit of information out there on rigging up small computer fans to help keep you cool.  You can run them off of small USB battery packs like you would buy to recharge your phone. I have 2 pair that run off two switches along with a hearing aid/assist unit so I can still hear what's going on outside my bucket in fabulous stereo.  Blows other troopers minds when you can hear them and there talking a few feet away.

I was second guessing myself with the snowtrooper idea, just because we only had 2 weeks of snow here in Michigan! The weather here can be so wild, I think that's could be one of the reasons why all the troopers / 501st members at the MetroCity Comic Con are all OT TKs. lol

I definitely will be looking into that helmet cooling, and microphone! Any specific threads you could recommend / links for the mic?

On 1/14/2020 at 2:21 AM, TK20187 said:

Welcome to the FISD.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thank you!

4 hours ago, TheLorelei said:

Welcome! In re: the Facebook thing - just wanted to note that I accomplished *most* of my build without using Facebook at all. Armor vendors are generally reachable by email. When it came time to get my blaster, however, I was reduced to using my mother's Facebook account to contact the maker.

ABS is indeed wonderful. As for sitting down, some of us can. Has to do with your particular body/flexibility, the way your cod piece is joined to your ab, and how much you trust your butt plate to not crack, from what I can tell.

I thought I'd be able to wear my glasses in my bucket but haven't been able to manage it, nor has it ended up being terribly important as I can barely see anything anyway. emoji16.png

I guess stress testing the armor wouldn't be a bad idea once I actually have a kit assembled? Its just that the moment I hear plastic creaking, I freak out, scared to break it. Then again, this Halo spartan outfit as 2mm or less thick, and molded with all these weird extrusions, bevels, and isn't solid. Hopefully the simplistic, smooth flow of the TK buttplate can hold up to it.

As for glasses not fitting, do you think it could be possible to buy spare prescription lenses, and mount them internally behind the visor? or would that break 501st reg.

• Like 1

As for glasses not fitting, do you think it could be possible to buy spare prescription lenses, and mount them internally behind the visor? or would that break 501st reg.

Not against any 501st reg at all.  Another alternative is sports style glasses like these.

39 minutes ago, masterx244 said:

HeadshotProps got a blacklist entry here (read the who to avoid topic here ==>

)

While I did search this thread, I didn't realise Headshot Props would be buried on page 13/14. I have now read the post and the attached PDF....

(I even searched their name on the entire forums, and this thread didn't come up! Hopefully for those who come after me to look........)
Headshot Props - Head shot Props - HSP

How disappointing! What the hell is this unprofessionalism?!?  So recent too?? I've heard good things about them from my Mando friends, and because of this 'over confidence' / 'reassurance' I had placed an order. (R1 TK Helm)I can say though, that none of them ever ordered, or preordered helmets / kits. Their Etsy site aswell, the only negatives I had seen were "slow shipping". r/501st and FISD while old, showed user interest in the armorer aswell. (They listed on the R1 TK Part lists)

Separating the awful... Unprofessionalism... from the actual products they sell...

While no way an excuse, perhaps its a telling sign... not to trust pre-orders? (From what I'm seeing on Adams PDF. Mentions of creating the molds for the kits. If i understand correctly?)  ANOVOS couldn't do it. The news is full of companies failing to provide products for preorders.

All in all, thank you for giving me notice of this. I'll be keeping a very very VERY close eye on dates and communications, to make sure I do not suffer the same issue Adam did. While I could be thought as 'Nieves' / 'Stubborn', I will not be pulled around on a thread, and will have no problem with contacting Paypal before the refund expires.

Hopefully, selling helmets already cast, is something Headshot Props is capable of doing, as their Facebook, Etsy and Mando fans say..... I'll keep posted. 

Edited by Junos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TK20187 said:

I can wear my glasses inside my bucket, getting it on and off is a challenge but doable. I also find wearing a balaclava helps as it keeps everything in place.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Didn't think of the Balaclava! Good idea. Pair that with those little rubber paddings on the Glasses arms you can buy, if I can, get them inside while wearing... they wont be going anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junos said:

While I did search this thread, I didn't realise Headshot Props would be buried on page 13/14. I have now read the post and the attached PDF....

(I even searched their name on the entire forums, and this thread didn't come up! Hopefully for those who come after me to look........)
--SNIP--

a while ago they were on the "page 1"-list, too.

Thanks god i stayed to OTTK armor and was able to use RS which was a bit faster than their estimate, too (got the "ready for shiping, pay last part of payment plan" mail out of the blue since i expected 2 more weeks of wait.

• Like 1

As for the mic nothing comes to mind thread wise but Lorelei has perfect search advice.  I'm just using a the mic with a rigid boom I got on Amazon that came with my PA speaker.  That cord runs down the inside of my neck seal out the top of my shirt behind the armor so it's not seen and under the backside of my chest plate where I have one of those chest high radio holders.  The cord goes into my TKTalkie (think home built versatile iComm) and then the PA speaker.  There's also a small power supply to run the TKTalkie.

I second the balaclava idea.  Definitely helps keep everything attached to your head when you slide your bucket on.

http://www.tktalkie.com/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2020 at 3:55 AM, Junos said:

How disappointing! What the hell is this unprofessionalism?!?  So recent too?? I've heard good things about them from my Mando friends, and because of this 'over confidence' / 'reassurance' I had placed an order. (R1 TK Helm)I can say though, that none of them ever ordered, or preordered helmets / kits. Their Etsy site aswell, the only negatives I had seen were "slow shipping". r/501st and FISD while old, showed user interest in the armorer aswell. (They listed on the R1 TK Part lists)

Separating the awful... Unprofessionalism... from the actual products they sell...

While no way an excuse, perhaps its a telling sign... not to trust pre-orders? (From what I'm seeing on Adams PDF. Mentions of creating the molds for the kits. If i understand correctly?)  ANOVOS couldn't do it. The news is full of companies failing to provide products for preorders.

All in all, thank you for giving me notice of this. I'll be keeping a very very VERY close eye on dates and communications, to make sure I do not suffer the same issue Adam did. While I could be thought as 'Nieves' / 'Stubborn', I will not be pulled around on a thread, and will have no problem with contacting Paypal before the refund expires.

Hopefully, selling helmets already cast, is something Headshot Props is capable of doing, as their Facebook, Etsy and Mando fans say..... I'll keep posted. 

Glad I could give warning! I'll be interested to see how it goes.

• 4 months later...

Hi 

On 1/13/2020 at 11:15 AM, Junos said:

Hello hello!

Where to start...

I'm sorta new to all this, well, a bit! Around 3-4 years ago, I was a -18 highschooler that loved the Clone Wars and the Grand Army of the Republic. I would lurk around on the Clone Forums, and ocassionally chime in here or there. Since then, I've certainly matured, and so have my thoughts! Without a doubt, the Galactic Imperial Empire is the rightful force in the Galaxy, supported by the brave Stormtrooper Corps, Imperial Navy and Imperial Army!

One long time thought in the back of my head, even when I was a kid, was owning a full set of armor and trooping. Back then It was more of a dream off in the sky, but with age comes experience, knowlege, a garage full of tools, an even stronger desire to pursue dreams AND a bank account just for that. Haha.

Over the years, I've slowly been able to collect, though, mainly random equipment. A Black Series TK helmet here, a Black Series TK helmet there..... I need a wall for my helmet collection.... I've cosplayed / "Trooped" in a Halo 4 Spartan Armor costume down in the comic cons, and slowly have been learning the swing of things.

(Like, stay outside / near the waterfront when in full gear, as all the padding and clothing practically makes you into a walking furnace. Another being.... Mass produced businesses [Amazon] aren't reaaaally building up to the quality these costumes should be.... The thin plastic they use has cracked and shredded itself just through wear and tear)

With that being said, I think its obvious now that I'm interesting in building a set of armor to call my own, though... I have some questions! 

The forums here contain amazing information. The Do's and Don'ts, Tips for trooping (The day before hydration really is something useful. Usually I just power through dehydration). Where to look for Verified Armorers.... How to join a Garrison (In the progress!) 

*Hasbro Black Series Helmets... Better for decoration and not function right?

*How sturdy really are the kits? I have trust in ABS plastic, but in my experience, that's just because how darn thick it can be. As stated above, I have a set of "mass produced" armor from Halo, which has seen quite the damage from just 5-6 troops, at around 4-5 hour intervals.

*Is it wrong to assume most of the insider information / buyers / armorers are locked up on Facebook? While I would rather not use Facebook out of personal feelings about the site, if its where the goods are kept, I'll go.

*Snowtroopers.... I would imagine Imperial Snowtrooper outfits to be extremely hot... especially with the face mask trapping all the heat in. Do FO Snowtroopers suffer the same? From a design aspect, they look more mobile, and look to have more 'gaps/ seams'.

*Can you wear glasses while in full gear + helmet? I don't have much problems with the Black Series helmets, but I'm unsure if those are size accurate. 

*Are there 501st approved paints? Or does it just come down to whatever you can get your hands on, that's screen accurate (Is there a color scheme chart available? Or is that way too much for troopers that only contain the colors: Light Blue, Black, White, Grey.) 

*How flexible (armor and pose-ability) is Imperial TK / FO TK armor? In the Halo armor I wore... Bending down was completely out of the question haha. Hopefully It's possible to sit down and not accidentally crack / sit on a armor piece?

*Roleplay breaking. If I'm ever to be 501st approved / in event, obviously the rules to stay in character are to be followed. For a example situation, are these same rules to be applied when Solo Trooping? Does the helmet always stay on? While I don't think eating food in armor would be great for the armor, sometimes when inside the Comic Con, you'll be starving after walking for hours. 
(If you're doing Out of character things, does the armor have to be entirely off. Sounds a bit weird to ask, but I just want to be respectful/ follow the rules)

I'll probably ask more questions when I think / discover them. At the moment, I have a lot of time on my hands, that I would love to apply to this. Currently I'm split between FO Snowtrooper, or a Rogue One/ANH Stormtrooper. Been staring at KBProp's page, aswell as Authentic Props. From review on the forums both seem like strong picks for troopers. Anyone personally have input? 

You can't ever seem to go wrong picking a Stormtrooper, though with Disney's FO Snowtrooper... I just can't help not loving the design. It reminds me of the Proto-stormtrooper concept art, looks clean (and could work great for outside work in the Michigan snow and freezing temps lol) 

Stormtrooper:
Literally perfect. Decades of documentation for building, trooping. Recognizable for eternity. 

FO Snowtrooper:
Seeeeems to be little interest around the Garrisons...? FO Stormtroopers hogging the screentime. Trooping could be short, as it (looks to be) a functional, cold climate outfit. Though stylish. 

Thanks for welcoming me! For some final information, I'm currently 20 y/o. 5'7, 130 lbs. I feel now would be a good time to build a armor kit, as I haven't gotten any taller, or gained weight in years.
(I've been told that will change later in life)

hey Sergeant, maybe you could buy some prescription glasses and try to insert them in the visor?  If you want to buy online there are some good shops. I had a similar problem to yours and bought my lenses here https://www.smartbuyglasses.com/ they are ok