Rogue One TK vs OT TK Comparison

11b30b4

On 3/17/2020 at 6:31 AM, Sly11 said:

Interesting that this technique is very similar to the way TFA TK's biceps were suspended from the Bells.

I'm starting to think this is common for all modern/Disney-era troopers - there are a few pic of Deathtroopers where I'm pretty sure you can see the same system.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think this is common for all modern/Disney-era troopers - there are a few pic of Deathtroopers where I'm pretty sure you can see the same system.

Apparently it’s been the norm since TFA.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Morgul702 said:

Has any of us looking into the thigh rigging system?

R1TK, from what can be seen in movie clips the harness is similar to what the FOTK uses. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Wook1138 and Tarok, many people have the same thing and I believe you all are correct.

Daetrin, cool, thank you.

Morgul702 and ukswrath, in reference to the thigh strapping, I am unaware of anything known for under the armor. What we can see is the two (presumably 1” black nylon) straps that come down on the side of each leg. Speculating, it looks like they have a black plastic side release buckle on them that is covered with black elastic. I infer this because this is a common practice to cover the buckles with elastic in the tactical webbing community on slings.

Here is an example of a sling with the elastic covering a buckle and a hook.

3RtpGXK.jpg

The side release buckle being mounted here would ensure easy donning of the armor as well as provide a method to adjust the height of the thigh armor. I built my ROTK strapping with this method in mind. As for a belt, who knows? I built my kit with a belt but ultimately mounted the top of the thigh straps inside the abdomen.

Since this has already gone beyond the original topic and deep dived into how the ROTK is constructed and after some time working on my Shoretrooper and reviewing Mr. Pauls FB page (total grunt) I see a lot of information that is evidence with the Shoretrooper that we can assume but not prove for the ROTK. The Deathtrooper, Shoretrooper, Tanker, and ROTK have a lot of similarities and one would expect that most of the processes and manufacture of these costumes are the same.

So, here is some food for thought.

We know that the ROTK uses the same shoulder bell metal supports as the Shoretrooper.

Here is your evidence, and yes, I still maintain that the elastic is black. Notice the “D” shape under the elastic.

isVsUUu.png

From Mr. Paul’s FB page here is what the metal supports look like.

uvKtYsa.jpg

Here they are mounted to the chest plate of a Mr. Paul built Shoretrooper.

fk8pIZa.jpg

Next here is another Mr. Paul built Shoretooper chest plate with the shoulder strap and metal supports.

YFExpgj.jpg

And here is a pic from Mr. Paul’s Shoretrooper where I have “roughly” outlined the metal support.

HGCtkXJ.jpg

Lastly, here is a Deathtrooper (from celebration I believe) and we can also see the snap support inside the shoulder bell.

UZZzeBH.png

Next, there was a discussion back in 2018 in the CRL thread about (as stated) the two tabs on the bottom of the kidney pad. This was one response with arrows of what the responder though the op was talking about.

rsc5WhW.jpg

However, knowing now what I do I think the op was referring to the two tabs on the bottom of the back plate that you can see just above the thermal detonator. Although these appear to be shorter in length, I believe what we are seeing is very similar to what Mr. Paul did with his back plate for the Shoretrooper. In this pic you can see how the Shoretrooper back plate attaches to the back hard belt.

nYPqyj2.jpg

I believe the TK back plate does something similar; however, it does not actually attach to the belt as we can see in the pic from the CRL thread, it looks like the tabs end just before the attachment hole.

On the topic of soft goods, here is a pic of a confirmed Shoretrooper undersuit. Notice the specific mesh in the arm pit, the full-length zipper down the front, Velcro (presumably to assist in supporting the abdominal plate) the distinctive ribbing on the sleeves and the thumbhole at the end of the sleeve.

0gXh0rW.jpg

The Shoretrooper also has a separate neckseal/ bib that hides the zipper and has distinctive horizontal ribbing. I am not saying that the ROTK uses this same undersuit but we can assume that many of the features were most likely incorporated in the ROTK undersuit.

Lastly, we have seen this pic of what looks like a screen used ROTK abdominal plate with a suspension system.

nd6iqAL.jpg

From this image we can assume that the ROTK used this suspension system as well as the corset zip closure that is velcroed in the back. What is not as evident is if the ROTK abdominal plate uses the connection tabs along the bottom edge like the Shoretrooper. It is hard to tell from this pic since there is a white belt with Velcro around the bottom of the abdominal plate. Also note the black strap protruding from the bottom and along the side of the abdomen plate. This is most likely the attachment strap for the thigh armor. Also, there is some sort of secondary suspension system (similar to a back belt for Warehouse workers that sits under the primary suspension system. Perhaps this provide some padding but otherwise I see no need for it.

So here some pics of Mr. Pauls suspension system from his Shoretrooper and we can assume that the ROTK uses a very similar system.

o9CCACC.jpg

XbehfRV.jpg

Ok so that is all I have for yall at this time. Let me know what you think.

Edited by 11b30b4
  • Like 5

What makes you think the ROTK uses a similar undersuit to the ST and not the Death Trooper? I would hypothesis it the latter given the need for more black gaskets.

Tarok, I mistyped and left out the "not" so it should read "I am not saying that the ROTK uses this same undersuit but we can assume that many of the features were most likely incorporated in the ROTK undersuit.

• Like 1

Tarok, I mistyped and left out the "not" so it should read "I am not saying that the ROTK uses this same undersuit but we can assume that many of the features were most likely incorporated in the ROTK undersuit.

I wondered this myself when I first read it the day you posted, and through context figured you perhaps accidentally left out the “not.” But since I’m no expert on the matter I figured I’d leave corrections to you pros. =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 3/25/2020 at 5:34 PM, Sn4k3 said:

Is there anyome producing R1 armors made of the same material used for the screen used armors?

Slightly longer answer - Jim "Jimmiroquai" Tripon's flexible fiberglass kit is probably as close to the screen used injection molded material as we're going to get due to the incredible cost of the tooling. I've seen a couple of makers coming out with CHEAP ABS kits and in my opinion, they just don't look as good. You can't pull the kind of detail you need in ABS, so there ends up being a weird mix of 3D printed, resin cast, and ABS parts. People also assume because of the white ABS that like ANH, they won't have to paint these suits, which is DEFINITELY the most difficult part (strapping is probably #2, as there really isn't much to the assembly or trimming like there is with ANH), but with the mix of materials, you absolutely should paint the entire suit and helmet to match.

As for helmets, the BS conversion was a great option when they were like $80USD on Amazon, but I've seen prices fluctuated up to $300 lately, which is absolutely not worth it for the amount of work that needs to go in. I know 850 is not currently offering a helmet, and that HSP is offering a resin (I believe) one, with separate detail pieces. It looks okay. Nico Henderson's 3D file went up in price (to $70 now, I believe?) but I've seen some absolutely beautifully finished ones, so I daresay it's worth the price if you intend to sand and paint it properly (god I hate print lines). Jim's helmet appears to be a cleaned up version of the BS (there are a few telltale signs like the mic tip area for one) and is one solid piece of fiberglass - I reinforced mine with additional resin and am pretty darn happy with the quality and details. 

Jim's isn't perfect, but the sculpts and proportions on both "legit" ABS makers I've seen just don't look quite right to me, in addition to being the wrong material. I recently saw that one was approved at Basic (I think the 1st ABS ROTK), so it can be done, but will take a lot of work - probably more than Jim's. The downside to Jim's is that it isn't cheap by comparison and shipping outside the Philippines can be pricey - I got mine as part of a large group order that bundled shipping, which reduced cost quite a bit. Just some food for thought when deciding between ANH, Jim's ROTK, and an ABS ROTK.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

Well these are pretty rad. [mention=29345]mr paul[/mention] - you sellin these babies? I'd love some for my ROTK.

Paul has all his stuff available on the “Mr Paul’s Total Grunt fb group, as well as the “Shoretrooper Fam” fb group. Someday I want to build an AT-ACT, so that’s how I found him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 8/2/2020 at 7:45 AM, mr paul said:

The elastic is both brown AND black. The way it is fixed to SU costume is with the brown side facing downwards and black side facing up. That applies to the DT, ST, TK and fair to assume Tanker and ATACT. 

oOYZkn3.png

Oooh right! Thanks for clearing that out Paul. I never even considered that possibility! Awesome.
(But if we consider that all the ref pictures posted here showed the brown underside of the elastic, I kind of was in the right, haha)

6 hours ago, The5thHorseman said:

Oooh right! Thanks for clearing that out Paul. I never even considered that possibility! Awesome.
(But if we consider that all the ref pictures posted here showed the brown underside of the elastic, I kind of was in the right, haha)

Yes you were right. It's pretty clear in the reference images especially the Deathtrooper pics from SWCE 2016 that the elastic is not black on the underside. Regardless of lighting.

Be interesting to see if anyone could actually find a dual colored elastic, I must admit I've not run across any in my travels. 

16 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Be interesting to see if anyone could actually find a dual colored elastic, I must admit I've not run across any in my travels. 

I have. I've been selling it with my Shoretrooper rigging kit for about a year. This is a picture of my Shoretrooper armour with the brown/black elastic on it.

xQDYDyL.jpg

• Like 5