Brand newbie from Canada

Canewbie

This community is awesome. I've spent months looking over the forums checking out the various reputed dealers. Can't decide between a biker scout or ANH build but so excited to get started. 

Just wanted to thank all those that have come before, your enthusiasm has made this a far easier world to enter.

• Like 2

Hello Wayne and welcome to the FISD family.

Erm, you can't decide between ANH Stormtrooper and whaaaaat????? :huh: Okay, Stormtrooper then. :smiley-sw013:

Next step: ANH Stunt or ANH Hero? ;)

FYI if you are looking for Biker Scout info head to Pathfinders forum: http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php

• Like 1

Hello Wayne,

Welcome to FISD!

Stromtrooper is an excellent start, many of us have their first costume as a Stormtrooper then move on to build a second costume later. You can find great support on this forum on supplies, building tips and many more.

Good luck and have fun here.

Welcome to FISD Wayne, you are certainly in the right place if you wish to become a Stormtrooper.

We are all here to help you on your journey so ask plenty of questions and the help will flow.

Welcome. Scouts are awesome and much more comfortable but less recognised during events. The classic stormtrooper is definitely recommended. It may over your budget but I recommend RS for ANH armor. They are the best of the best! 

I have both. My first build was the ANH TK then I realized it’s a pain in the butt to get around in and you can’t sit but it’s highly recognizable.

The Scout it more fun, and you have more mobility but can be hotter in my opinion. The jumpsuit is not as breathable. The flip up mask is also easier when taking a break.

I switch between both costumes depending on what the function is. If I know it’s going to be a lot of standing around I use the TK more walking and doing things I switch to the scout.

Sooooooo the moral of the story is build both! Eventually, but not at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 7:19 AM, Frank75139 said:

I have both. My first build was the ANH TK then I realized it’s a pain in the butt to get around in and you can’t sit but it’s highly recognizable.

The Scout it more fun, and you have more mobility but can be hotter in my opinion. The jumpsuit is not as breathable. The flip up mask is also easier when taking a break.

I switch between both costumes depending on what the function is. If I know it’s going to be a lot of standing around I use the TK more walking and doing things I switch to the scout.

Sooooooo the moral of the story is build both! Eventually, but not at the same time.

Best advice I've heard....wish I could win the lottery and fill my closet with armor instead of clothes 

• Like 2

Best advice I've heard....wish I could win the lottery and fill my closet with armor instead of clothes 

It was a tough sell with the wife but she understood and I don’t troop a ton but I make sure I get use out of both of them. If I went for a third there might be problems.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

It was a tough sell with the wife but she understood and I don’t troop a ton but I make sure I get use out of both of them. If I went for a third there might be problems.

That's a good woman you have if she was willing to let you get 2 anyway. I wouldn't push my luck either 

If you’re looking to get multiple costumes then I’d look toward an officer or bridge crew. They are much more affordable if you’re looking to suit up some mannequins or have lots of options. Hard armor is the best but also the most expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wayne and welcome aboard future Trooper! 

Have a read in the “Getting Started-Read this First” section, as there is some really good info in there for new members.

Then, have a read in “Costuming and Builds” section to discover other troopers who are building (or have built) the same armor as you! Really good tips, examples, pictures, previously answered questions, and successes here.

In addition to looking at all the various build threads, I highly recommend checking out the “Advanced Tactics” section where you can see examples of those who have taken their armor to the next levels of screen accuracy (EIB and Centurion).  I’d recommend that you aim to build to one of the certification levels, as TK’s look their best at these levels. It's really not hard to acquire EIB or Centurion, and it’s best to do during your build rather that after.

If, and when, you’re looking for other bits –and-pieces, accessories, boots, blasters, electronics, etc., be sure to check out the “Imperial Commissary/PX” section for items for sale, project runs, and for other stuff that most of the troopers use.

Also, make contact with your local Garrison. They’ll help guide you through the process of becoming a member of the 501st, and may have local Armor Parties in the works where you can get hands-on build advice and guidance, not to mention meet members of your future Garrison.

So, start a build thread here on FISD; post lots of pictures and questions. We are all here to help you out and to make sure you look your best, and represent the 501st as best as possible.

All the best on your TK journey! :dancing-trooper: