FOTK PAINT QUESTIONS

Ian_the_gonk_droid

20 hours ago, JAFO said:

RustOleum 2x is not an official paint. It was recommended for the Anovos kits but has no connection to production.

Go for a paint you’re happy with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yea I'm not a fan of them and especially the 2x line I've had ton of problems with for different colors/projects.  I've had folks recommend their pro line paints though, more expensive in the shiny chrome label cans that folks claim is so good, but don't nkow if anyone tried it on a FOTK.

I've painted lot of kits before but never touched white and so many stories I've seen about ppl having cracking problems with how the FOTK is built.  I just keep lucking out in finding a source to get my armor auto painted by a pro so almost giving up and just want to get out rattle cans and go at it.  

I know of course probably best course to go is to just start painting test pieces of plastic/armor and see the results.

• Like 2

Yea I'm not a fan of them and especially the 2x line I've had ton of problems with for different colors/projects.  I've had folks recommend their pro line paints though, more expensive in the shiny chrome label cans that folks claim is so good, but don't nkow if anyone tried it on a FOTK.

I've painted lot of kits before but never touched white and so many stories I've seen about ppl having cracking problems with how the FOTK is built.  I just keep lucking out in finding a source to get my armor auto painted by a pro so almost giving up and just want to get out rattle cans and go at it.  

I know of course probably best course to go is to just start painting test pieces of plastic/armor and see the results.

There’s a growing number of troopers in the U.S. using Montana Gold Shock White. Not the cheapest of options but they report good results.

Testing is the best way forward. Ideally find a paint that you can use with a clear coat. I believe there are some gloss finishes that may dull under a clear so, again, best to test.

Another note...take a look at RustOleum Professional High Performance Enamel. I’ve heard good things about that spray as a rattle can option.

Yea the high performance enamel is what I meant with the pro stuff, heard lot of folks say its great stuff.  I've heard so much good about Montana Gold, used it once and it didn't go over well on me but I'm sure its a bad can, it was spitting globs of paint randomly onto my work.

• Like 1

Yea the high performance enamel is what I meant with the pro stuff, heard lot of folks say its great stuff.  I've heard so much good about Montana Gold, used it once and it didn't go over well on me but I'm sure its a bad can, it was spitting globs of paint randomly onto my work.

You can always give the rattle cans a warm bath prior to shaking. It helps prep the paint for spraying.

• Like 1

• gmrhodes13 pinned this topic
  • 3 years later...

Starting on my TFA FOTK and I’ve been reading up here a lot regarding paint. I plan on painting myself. My question is what shade of white do I need to use? There’s several different shades so I want to make sure I get the right one. 

24 minutes ago, Jen2021 said:

Starting on my TFA FOTK and I’ve been reading up here a lot regarding paint. I plan on painting myself. My question is what shade of white do I need to use? There’s several different shades so I want to make sure I get the right one. 

I used a base white acrylic automotive white in spray cans, matched really well to the Anovos white on the helmets, but the brand was Australian.

There is a paint code a lot of people had been using 

IMG_5370.jpg

In addition, the paint code above was pulled from my Anovos Beta helmet, which was painted by Anovos. Disney supposedly commissioned Anovos to provide the armor for their "Rise of the Resistance" ride characters.  So, though the movie armor is not painted, the color above is a close second I would suspect.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I used a base white acrylic automotive white in spray cans, matched really well to the Anovos white on the helmets, but the brand was Australian.

There is a paint code a lot of people had been using 

IMG_5370.jpg

Thank you!!! I may have to reach out to Customer Service and see if maybe they can send me a color card I can use to match with a more easily accessible paint brand here in Arkansas. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

In addition, the paint code above was pulled from my Anovos Beta helmet, which was painted by Anovos. Disney supposedly commissioned Anovos to provide the armor for their "Rise of the Resistance" ride characters.  So, though the movie armor is not painted, the color above is a close second I would suspect.

Appreciate it so much!!!

• Like 1

Many of us have switched to Behr Premium No. 52 Gloss White, if it is available in your region. It sprays significantly nicer than the previously recommended Rust-Oleum rattle cans, matches the Denuo Novo white ABS decently well, and is still decently inexpensive. I don't own or want to invest in an HVLP spray gun system at this time, so mixing custom automotive colors wasn't really an option.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

Many of us have switched to Behr Premium No. 52 Gloss White, if it is available in your region. It sprays significantly nicer than the previously recommended Rust-Oleum rattle cans, matches the Denuo Novo white ABS decently well, and is still decently inexpensive. I don't own or want to invest in an HVLP spray gun system at this time, so mixing custom automotive colors wasn't really an option.

I will admit the automotive option is considerably more expensive, but then it never dulls, fades, or loses it's luster. Like a vintage car it's stunning, but you're going to pay for it. Everything else in my armor arsenal except the FOTK and ST is rattle can. That said, I'm always looking for a better rattle can option, I'll have to take a look at the Behr. Thanks Justin

• Like 1

Rustoleum is not a great paint, at least the stuff they sell here. Several members and locals here in my garrison have had lack lustre results. Paint fry even after thorough pre-prep and bad batches of paint etc.

This Berh Premium sounds like a good alternative, but haven't seen it in Australia yet.

I have reached out to them to see if they have a distributed here, as I am keen to check it out myself.

Will post their response.

• Like 1

As much as we all love saving money, sadly I think if you want good results you just have to “cry once buy once” and have it professionally painted like @ukswrath did.

• Like 2

I stay away from any enamel based paints, good for props but not for armor in my opinion, and don't get me started on RustOleum paint, I don't know whether its been old stock but I've never had a full can spray perfectly all the way through.

Auto shops here sell automotive acrylic paint in spray cans, (not sure what there is around other parts of the world) from memory I used 6 cans of base white and 3 cans of clearcoat which works out a lot cheaper than having it professionally sprayed, albeit I've done automotive spray-painting in my past, and you can get a very nice gloss finish, just takes a little bit of practice getting used to applying the paint. The other advantage is being able to sand and compound polish if you get any bits of dust or any small runs. 

fMNcI8M.jpg

• Like 5

Here is the response from Behr paints. Exclusive product to Home Depot.

Hi Andrew, thank you for your interest in Behr. As it turns out, our products are sold exclusively through The Home Depot and are not available for purchase or delivery in Australia. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you again for reaching out. Have a great day!

• Like 1

Here is the response from Behr paints. Exclusive product to Home Depot.

Hi Andrew, thank you for your interest in Behr. As it turns out, our products are sold exclusively through The Home Depot and are not available for purchase or delivery in Australia. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you again for reaching out. Have a great day!
That's a shame. Aussies getting shafted as usual.

Behr however does make a 1 gallon tin of the 52, but it's a semi-gloss. The spray cans are essentially impossible to import being an aerosol, but I'm not sure about the 1gal tins

Wondering if that would be a viable option for use with thinner and a spray gun?

12 hours ago, Jedxh said:

Wondering if that would be a viable option for use with thinner and a spray gun?

At that point, have the paint code Glen provided mixed, imo. 

Stay tuned though, I have a project I've been working on that I'll share shortly and it may help with your decision if you're not in a rush.

On 1/8/2024 at 9:01 AM, TheRascalKing said:

Thank you so much! Found some available at my local Home Depot so headed to get some as soon as all this snow is gone. I’m not a fan of Rust-Oleum either.