Help with the "S" Neck Trim

Hello again, 

I recently bought a custom built RS Prop Masters ANH Stormtrooper Helmet off eBay and I need help with the "S" Neck Trim.

FXhf4k8.jpg

I've seen that the "S" Trim doesn't cover the whole helmet. Is there a way to redo this? Would it be too short if I remove and reattach it correctly? 

Thanks in advance! 

Marc 

Where is the join point of the trim?

I usually add a piece of material between the join point, just under the chin (black vocoder), it is the least visible place to do it if yours is too short for lining the whole length. 

1 hour ago, giskard8 said:

Where is the join point of the trim?

I usually add a piece of material between the join point, just under the chin (black vocoder), it is the least visible place to do it if yours is too short for lining the whole length. 

The join point is at the end of the helmet. What kind of material do you put between it? 

Is your trim glued or free to pull it off?

I used a piece of U trim left over to fill that space, since it’s under the chin, it’s hardly noticeable.

One other thing you could try, take a photo of your helmet top and bottom, send it to RS prop CS and ask if you can buy a strip of new S-trim from them. They are quite friendly and there is a high chance they will help you out.

12 minutes ago, giskard8 said:

Is your trim glued or free to pull it off?

I used a piece of U trim left over to fill that space, since it’s under the chin, it’s hardly noticeable.

One other thing you could try, take a photo of your helmet top and bottom, send it to RS prop CS and ask if you can buy a strip of new S-trim from them. They are quite friendly and there is a high chance they will help you out.

Alright, thanks for the info! 

It's not glued, seems to be free to pull it off. Should I try it out? 

Actually the trim does not need to be glued (well, unless you are bend on having the both side of the trim just under the tip of the tube strips sit perfectly flush).

Cut the space filling material a bit longer than measured, the pressure from compressing the rubber will keep the trim in place.

P.S. the screen used prop has the join point at the back. So in case you obtain a full new S-trim, do not cut at the exact length straight away, cut it a bit longer that measured and trim your cut bit by bit, apply some pressure to the S-trim until both ends meet each other.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, giskard8 said:

Actually the trim does not need to be glued (well, unless you are bend on having the both side of the trim just under the tip of the tube strips sit perfectly flush).

Cut the space filling material a bit longer than measured, the pressure from compressing the rubber will keep the trim in place.

P.S. the screen used prop has the join point at the back. So in case you obtain a full new S-trim, do not cut at the exact length straight away, cut it a bit longer that measured and trim your cut bit by bit, apply some pressure to the S-trim until both ends meet each other.

Once again, thanks for the infos. Should I try to re-attach the S-Trim? 

What else could I use to fill the space between the ends? 

Edited by theshape.78

If the trim is not glued I think it is safe to remove it.

Here is how I fixed a helmet with under-cut trim under the vocoder. If you don't have the same S-trim material at hand, use a U-trim instead. U-trim are fairly easy to find at local hardware store.

Z8g2kiyN4tgV2XheVSJCtVOo6ZQwTdPx48P8Efoe

35 minutes ago, giskard8 said:

If the trim is not glued I think it is safe to remove it.

Here is how I fixed a helmet with under-cut trim under the vocoder. If you don't have the same S-trim material at hand, use a U-trim instead. U-trim are fairly easy to find at local hardware store.

Z8g2kiyN4tgV2XheVSJCtVOo6ZQwTdPx48P8Efoe

I removed it and tried to put it over the part ai circled above. It seems like it doesn't fit on there. 

Edited by theshape.78

You might need to apply a bit of pressure, gently. If it doesn’t want to go in, you might want to try flipping the S-trim and use the other grove instead (I usually have the curved edge facing outside).