Rank insignia

Greetings all, 

I know the theory of helmet sensors (or something like) has been put forward to explain how Stormtroopers tell each other apart, or know who NCOs are, but is there any rank insignia born on armour? Is it only Sandtroopers in ANH that have coloured pauldrons? I haven’t been able to see any on the Battle Station.

Regular (enlisted) Stormtroopers rarely wear any type of overt outward insignia, and are said to use the identification scanners built into their buckets to determine rank and seniority of other TKs.

CxFTtMt.jpg?2

Yes, only the Sandies in ANH wore pauldrons.  They are worn by TKs in SW Rebels and FOTKs (and of course HWTs :D), but some folks get a little carried away, lol.

uc72ffk.png?1

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I do recall painted ears bars being a display of rank but I don't think I've seen a definitive reference as to which bars would represent which rank.

Although not cannon here is an ear rank guide, remember it was just for fun ;) 

06szojD.jpg

It's not until the sequel trilogy that we start seeing ranked Stormtroopers by their pauldrons.

• Like 2