3D printed E-11

Greetings all, 

opinions please. I’m guessing that the sight rail is too short. It’s from the Dutch firm 3D-props.com

https://www.3d-props.com/

Tbh, I’m leaning more towards foam-rubber, given the reduced risk of breakage. Also,  I’ve a five year old who is determined to be a Stormtrooper when he grows up, but I’d be interested to see what people think. The detailing is great, and even has a separate breech block, and main spring. Actually looks like an SMG (or Sterling for you non ex British Army folk) before all the greeblies are added. 

60652FD8-A036-406C-8B95-0A9C3542FD75.jpeg

Edited by Rosenlund 66

My $0.5.

I trooped with resin cast, 3D-printed, rubber.

They all have their pro and cons. A resin cast (like a Doopydoos, which is popular within our circle) and a 3D-printed one has a higher accuracy look, if you have the skills and willing to put the extra time in to work on them, but they are quite venerable in trooping event, especially when there is a lot guests/kids would like to handle them during photo ops.

A high density rubber E-11 on the other hand may have less details on it, but it can take a lot of abuse. Recently a lot of makers produce very high quality HD rubber ones with high details on them (I personally prefer a rubber E-11).

But at the end it really comes down to your trooping pattern and personal preferences, on which best suits your needs.

Edited by giskard8
  • Like 1

I agree with Giskard8 above. I own a doopydoos resin cast because I wanted to aim for an accurate blaster and also feel like I am holding 'something' in my hands and not a toy. But after a few years of trooping I would say; give the foam or 3D print a shot. The resin cast can become quite heavy holding it for a hour and more. Also in your holster it will swing a bit and pull some on the belt. Another pro about the 3D is that most of them are ready to add/install Blast FX. (I know 3Dprops NL does so)

It all comes down to personal preference, and troop pattern indeed. If you give out your blaster to other people for photos easily I suggest going with something more sturdy or easy/cheap replaceable such as the rubber or 3D print. Yesterday I saw an F-11D from a fellow trooper fall into pieces since he gave it to a cinema vistor. But since he 3D printed his one he could easily and quite cheap repair it.

Each options has pro's and cons.

Now an SLA printed E11, that would be really something.

Still lighter than resin, somewhat stronger than an FDM printed version, with next to no clean up and extreme detail. That would really float my boat.

But as mentioned by my fellow troopers above, rubber is by far the most resilient.

On 12/22/2019 at 2:21 AM, Rosenlund 66 said:

Greetings all, 

opinions please. I’m guessing that the sight rail is too short. It’s from the Dutch firm 3D-props.com  Yep, the scope rail is way too short, Adrian.  This is a nice blaster overall but has a few issues (listed below).  While it would certainly get you (or anyone) to level 2, it would not pass for level 3 (Centurion) without a few mods.

Tbh, I’m leaning more towards foam-rubber, given the reduced risk of breakage.  With a 5 year old, I don't blame you!  Also,  I’ve a five year old who is determined to be a Stormtrooper  (AWESOME) when he grows up, but I’d be interested to see what people think.

As mentioned, this is one fantastic looking E-11 with a few exceptions.   Lots of great details, especially the inner spring.  But, as you mentioned the scope rail does not extend to the rear sight, and the scope has WAY too much "brass" showing. Both are fairly easy fixes and would get you to Centurion if that is what you are (hopefully) aiming for.

yMD3IRX.png

Many of us use resin-cast E-11s because we are just accuracy nuts.  Some like to let fans hold them when asked, but I normally reply along the lines of "Sorry, but the Emperor forbids it" or "It's against Imperial regulations".   Otherwise, there are alternatives that are made from rubber which are basically indestructible but are still approvable to level 3 depending on the maker.

Great. I do like this forum.

Another reason for foam rubber is in fact (oddly enough) the very lack of detail. We have very strict weapon laws where i live, and something that looks like a prop or fake (at least to the trained eye) could actually make my life easier. Also, i have read comparisons between resin and foam rubber, and don’t want anything too fragile. As long as it bears scrutiny from a few foot, then I’m good with it. Oh, then there’s the nipper. He’s already running around with a foam rubber DL-44 I bought, making blaster noises. Don’t see why he shouldn’t do the same with an E-11. I want to get him good and imprinted :tkbig: 

Thanks, guys. As always, properly useful information 

• Like 1