Mimban is truly ANH Hero/Stunt

https://imgur.com/gallery/eVapQDH

Hello everyone, not sure if this I where I post my help me section lol but I need help. I purchased armor from someone who stated it was his room mates and it was supposed to be mimban armor that was at the Solo world premier in Hollywood. Little did I know though, the armor was from ANH era and looked nothing like the Rogue 1 armor which is used by mimban troopers(I didn't know this at the time they were different) So I sent pics in to my GML which he stated the many issues wrong with it, but my question is, can I sand this armor down, and repaint it to match ANH Hero/Stunt white? I posted a link to the pictures from IMGUR, hope I able to still fix this....thanks 

I don't know that you would want to sand it. Depending on the paint used, you could grab a towel and some mineral spirits and give it a run down.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Really depends what paint has been used, if water based you may be able to wash with warm soapy detergent. If that doesn't work as Rat mentioned try some mineral turps.

Painting the whole armor will be fine BUT you will find that areas will get scuffed and the paint will rub off. If you do paint I would try to sand most of the dark weathering off first, using wet and dry @ 240 grit then prime and sand lightly with a 600 grit prior to paint.

A big job and you'd have to toss up weather the cost of paint makes it feasible or is it worth turning into a zombie (death trooper) ;) 

• Like 1

look at what it cost you vs. what it will cost to turn into ANH clean.  Or Death Trooper, but then you may not get to wear it as often. it it washes clean / wipes clean, great. repainting it properly will likely cost more than just buying a new clean suit and building it.

I paid 800 shipped for this armor, only reason I was thinking of sending it and painting is because the paint doesnt seem to thick, you can see the white coming through on most of these pieces even though it looks pretty dark. Now one thing I was looking into as well, is what do you guys think of a shadow stormtrooper? Same requirements of a ANH stunt, just black? 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Alex, but this armor is going to take quite a bit of work to bring it to Basic ANH TK or Shadowtrooper level.  As for the Solo Hollywood premier lineage, I am kinda' doubting that.  The paint job appears to have been done with a can of Krylon and a paint brush and doesn't have the "mottled" effect seen in the film.  It is also not R1 armor.

OP3PYh4.jpg?2    4q9NwIb.jpg?1

Upon closer inspection, the right shoulder bridge would need to be replaced or have some serious work done, as the patch job looks awful.  Not sure of your size, but the biceps have an unusually large space on the sides and was built for someone with some pretty big guns and may have to be cut down.

UQmuKyY.jpg  acY1ofq.jpg

As mentioned, a Death Trooper could be an alternative https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_deathtrooper,  If you do decide to purchase a new kit, I would highly recommend checking out this thread and asking lots of questions here on the FISD.  We are here for ya' whichever way you go.

Biceps are actually not to bad, they seem to fit ok, the shoulders bridges I was informed were bad so I was planning on replacing them, and repairing them. As far as my legs, are the shin guards the right ones for a shadow or white stormtrooper? I dont want you guys to think I'm not accepting to other options, I guess im just getting a little discouraged, it's my first build and I spent a lot to try and join, but now figuring out I got screwed just kinda sucks, and giving up on what I spent is a little hard lol. So turning this into a shadow trooper or something is out of the picture?

Truly sorry you got a bad deal on that, Alex, but nothing is impossible.  It all depends on how much time you have to spend on it.  Before you go any further, can you post up some photos  (front/side view) of the helmet?  This will help determine the maker of the armor. (Important).  It would also help immensely to post up some photos of you actually wearing the armor to determine any fitment issues.

Once we can see where the work needs to be done we can better assess how to proceed from there to get you started. 

Hang in there, and try not to get too disappointed.  You are in the one true home of shiny white armor here, and there are more people than you imagine who are willing and ready to help.

• Like 1

This means a lot to me guys, I'll post pictures as soon as I'm able, and post the link on here as well, helmet is a different story, I havent explained this yet but my Helmet is a black series helmet made to look like a mimban trooper, this I already know I can not use and planned on finding a ANH helmet to match my armor, only main question I have is what paint is usually recommended for the gloss white on stormtrooper armor? Meanwhile though I'll get pics asap and post soon 

30 minutes ago, slmalgus said:

This means a lot to me guys...

This is what we are here for, Alex.

Don't take this the wrong way, as it is only a suggestion.

Years ago when I saw a Stormtrooper costume on a Halloween cruise I thought "Oh... my.. God..,".  I have wanted to be a TK since 1977, and here is one right in front of me!

So, I went online (eBay) and bought a kit for 280 bucks.  While researching how to put it together I ran across the 501st and FISD.  I was kind of gutted when I found out that it was a cheap re-cast and would never even make Basic approval.

But, I built it anyway for the experience and then sold it on eBay for $340.00 as a "Halloween Costume".  I made it quite clear in the listing that it was not 501st approvable, (I didn't want t deceive anyone) but it sold in 3 hours.

What I am saying is that in a worse-case scenario you may want to consider selling it and purchasing a kit from one of our vetted vendors.

There are LOTS of folks out there who want to be a Stormtrooper but have no interest in joining the 501st... they just want it for comicons (or to scare neighbors), lol.  

Unfortunately, this is not an inexpensive hobby, but if when you get a set of armor approved you have the chance to join the ranks of like-minded folks who come together to bring smiles to a lot of faces, which in my opinion is what it's all about.

"...what paint is usually recommended for the gloss white on stormtrooper armor?   Just as you said, gloss white.  ABS varies in color from maker to maker, but as long as you go with a bright shade of white you are good to go,

Hang in there Future Trooper!

Like Joseph and yourself I got bit by the impulse buy. "Rubies" to be exact.

Like Joseph I sold it and after some research here. I bought my first set from one of the vetted sellers here. 

Whatever way you go we're here for you. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, slmalgus said:

I Just dont know who would buy it. 

You'd be surprised, Alex.  If you do decide to sell, it may help to take photos of you wearing the full set and include your height/weight.

I do have one question, say I go to my armor party with my GML and he says my armor is to far gone to repair or make 501st approved. Could I use it as a secondary build to just have fun in even though its not 501st approved? I didn't know if the 501st had a rule where I could use another suit if I used that suit as like a mashup suit or something? 

I do have one question, say I go to my armor party with my GML and he says my armor is to far gone to repair or make 501st approved. Could I use it as a secondary build to just have fun in even though its not 501st approved? I didn't know if the 501st had a rule where I could use another suit if I used that suit as like a mashup suit or something? 
If it is too far gone for a clean TK, consider using it for a zombie trooper. They are both just for fun and approvable.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Hi Alex.  I think it was me who 1st gave you the bad news over on the MEPD forums (I'm an approved Mimban myself).

One other option not mentioned yet:  the person who you got this from sold it to you as something that you will get approved as a mimban and that it was used at the premier.  This is clearly not true and constitutes false advertising.  My 1st port of call would be to the seller to ask for my money back (especially as the guy is a supposed approved seller).

Edited by Dragon_a

Hi Alex.  I think it was me who 1st gave you the bad news over on the MEPD forums (I'm an approved Mimban myself).
One other option not mentioned yet:  the person who you got this from sold it to you as something that you will get approved as a mimban and that it was used at the premier.  This is clearly not true and constitutes false advertising.  My 1st port of call would be to the seller to ask for my money back.
I tried to already trust me. Honestly what I'm probably going to do is use this armor as either a zombie trooper, a mashup, and then just purchase a kit from RS which I've heard are top of the line.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, slmalgus said:

Could I use it as a secondary build to just have fun in even though its not 501st approved? I didn't know if the 501st had a rule where I could use another suit if I used that suit as like a mashup suit or something? 

You certainly don't have to get 501st approval on it, but it can't be used on an official troop with your Garrison/Squad unless you do.  I still think it would make a cool Death Trooper, though, and approval may be an option if you went that route.  My buddy Charles @Templar726 did one that will knock your socks off!  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31683-templar-726-death-trooper-build/

11 hours ago, slmalgus said:

...and then just purchase a kit from RS which I've heard are top of the line.

You can't go wrong with RS. :jc_doublethumbup: