Darth147s R1 BUILD-Part of the SCG Group Build

Darth147

e2gJ9Tu.jpg

vm6JbfC.jpg

used a razor to try and bring out the details of the cover strips 

will try DarthBiscuits idea of filling some of the pinholes with a paint brush and re sand 

fxgNoOR.jpg

and give the notches a touch up

Edited by Darth147
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

MI1Yq0t.jpg

dark vs light 

PkRHl91.jpg

the barrel is where i wasted most of my time today 

a lot of pinholes to cover and sand

prob cover up some more imperfections and on to white

gDLrTug.jpg

hope to finish the upper body by the end of the month 

Edited by Darth147
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i was able to to apply some gloss white to the back ,barrel, thighs and helmet

was happy with how it turned out 

cfGAa6n.jpgrD8GzXI.jpg

i found some cracks on the barrel and the back 

hopefully i can get away with filling them with spot putty 

SZIl460.jpgx8KCyMs.jpg

• Like 1

found some pinholes and imperfections needing fixing

i got some resin on the abb buttons so they lost some sharpness hopefully i can recover from it 

dlRYQzN.jpgItartYs.jpg

51hsFHZ.jpgM4TG83r.jpg

yesEo3N.jpg?10bLy9Ax.jpg

dNPxIul.jpg

the legs need the most work with sanding 

hope to sand down to 600 and give the pieces another coat 

• Like 2

At some point I just gave up on getting all of the pin holes covered. Glazing putty on them then sand and apply primer and damn if there wasn't more pin holes. I don't know if the glaze got sanded out of the holes but I worked for several days to get as many covered as I could but in the end, my armor still has lots of them. On the positive side, you really have to be searching for them to see them. Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

this is the last time on those pieces that i am going to cover them up.

at some point enough is enough 

plus they kind of look like small grains of sand (battle damage/weathering) which im sure after a few troops it will get scratches and scuff marks 

havent done any work to the build yet been messing around with my printer(replacing the whole heating assembly ) major clog in the nozzle printed out some greeblies for the back vents on the helmet

ciMmd3k.jpg

rTYCgHl.jpg

dBfvTUO.jpg?1

it doesnt  sit flush 

not sure if i should sand them down or cut out all of the back vent and glue it on with some support from the inside

thinking about replacing the main abb greeblie however im close to being done and dont want to mess it up my removing the original 

i downloaded the stls  that   @BigJasoni has been working on to replace my abb armor and some other pieces in the future 

N3GX4bG.jpg

9dPLFRh.jpg

much more detail with the 3d printed piece 

• Like 1

Art, the 3D printed parts look amazing. I recommend you cut out the depressed parts of the helmet, then glue some styrene on the inside (at least to make a stepped down lip) then glue in the 3D printed parts. This method should have them sitting almost flush and provide that rogue one look. 

I also recommend you go ahead and make the changes to the abdomen with the 3D printed parts. If you don't it will always bother you and now is the time to make the change rather than a month down the road.

• Like 1

a lot more ventilation and work now 

hmhRP80.jpg

besides the vent breaking on that spot 

i need to sand it a bit more for it to go in better then fill in the sides with some jb weld and back it with some styrene like  @11b30b4 suggested

TxNoctv.jpg

n19zQj8.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/25/2020 at 3:09 AM, Darth147 said:

thinking about replacing the main abb greeblie however im close to being done and dont want to mess it up my removing the original 

i downloaded the stls  that   @BigJasoni has been working on to replace my abb armor and some other pieces in the future

On 8/25/2020 at 3:09 AM, Darth147 said:

9dPLFRh.jpg

much more detail with the 3d printed piece 

The ab greeblie looks great! If you find anything at all that seems off, or just need some changes that improve the file, they'll be very helpful. I haven't updated my build in a while, but last night I realized how much I like the forearms. There's lots of good parts in that armor set. Glad it worked out,

On 8/27/2020 at 8:39 AM, Darth147 said:

i noticed the cod and the butt plates need reworking 

@Darth147 I ended up modifying the cod piece myself. I think their file was based off of the original trilogy TK. It almost looked "underwear like" if that's what you were referring to. I think I asked some people in another forum about how the cod was supposed to sit and they gave me some good feedback. The butt plate was a disaster when I originally purchased the armor. They actually had the kidney plate attached to the posterior. It does appear to drop down on the sides a little lower than the CRL picture, but when I printed it off and put it on, it seemed to fit how it was supposed to. No one commented on it when I posted a picture of me wearing it. I think I'll post another pic in my build thread tomorrow and see if I can get some input, because I'm about to paint mine.

If you do find anything, hit up Akira-Yuming and let them know. I've probably sent them around 50 pictures so far and they've responded with changes rather quickly.

Also, I'm not sure if you bought their helmet or not, but when I started to print it off, I immediately realized that there's absolutely no way to get your head in it. It would even be a challenge for my seven year old daughter. I didn't feel like bugging them right away, but I may start working with them again on improving the helmet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Art,
I haven't looked at your build in a while, but am now very interested in what you're doing with the tears and traps; we just had a discussion about this on the FB group. Question: I can't tell from the pic whether yours are put in over glued in styrene, or if you just replaced the rear tears with the 3d ones entirely? The reason I'm asking is because of these pictures:
odDYiOT.jpg

JE4UdNK.jpg

V2yHttC.jpg

The top pic is the Nico Henderson helmet, but it's pretty consistent with the other pics which were posted by Paul Prentice. The third pic are resin printed tears and traps with a .5mm black backer. These gave me a few ideas for my Jimi build, which would be similar to what you posted.
Also, one last question, did you ever cut the ab greeblie out and replace it with the 3d one?
Just curious.

Thanks!

in the beginning I cut the all the vents for air flow and thinking the helmets where like that in RO and plan on using a black mesh 

well the vents looks pretty bad so I cut the whole thing out and just glued in the nico vents 

this is the jimmi helmet 

in the future i plan on printing the nico helmet

i actually sanded off the top of the abb greeblies details  and cut the greeblie on meshmixer very thin an plan on just gluing it on top 

havent been working on this project lately i got side swept with my other projects

too many prints not enough time to finish them all

zrq3kO3.jpg