Question about sanding before gluing

Hi everyone

I am about to start my build soon and just wanted to ask this before I make a start.  After I trim all the parts and get ready to attach the coverstrips, what would be the best thing to do for gluing?  Is it best to sand the back of the coverstrip surface and the front part of the armour surface that it would be glued on?  Or should I just glue the coverstrips onto the armour without sanding the surface at all?  If I need to sand the surfaces, what grit/method should I use?

I have heard about some troopers sanding the surface so the parts stick better, but others have strongly advised not to sand the surface at all.

Any advice would be great before I make a start, thanks. 

Always give a bit of a sanding. It gives the glue something to grab and makes for a better hold. It doesn't matter if you use R-6000 or CA glue sanding promotes adhesion.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

I always sand before gluing, as Rat said it gives the glue something to grip too, you don't need to go right to the edges as long as you sand the majority of the pieces. 

Assuming you will (hopefully) be using E-6000 adhesive on your build, giving the areas to be glued some sandpaper love (and then cleaning them after to remove any dust) will definitely help and will give the glue something rough to bond with.  I suggest 120 grit sandpaper for this.

When in doubt, before attaching any parts be sure to post up a pic or two before you do.

• Like 1

Don’t be like Anakin and hate sand lol. Sanding is good for glueing surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4