Emergency Trooping Kit

As the Boy Scout motto says, "Be prepared"

In most cases, if taken care of a well built set of armor should last a long, long time.  Inspecting the various components before an event is suggested, but when the inevitable "Oh crap" moments occur having things at-the-ready can really help.  Not just for you, but for a fellow trooper as well!

The following is a list of suggested items to have with you for "wardrobe malfunctions" which happen to many of us during a troop.  I'm not saying you have to have each and every item shown below, so the choices are yours for what to include.

1.  Gaffer's ("gaffa") tape (white/2" (5 cm) wide:

This is a heavy cotton cloth tape with great adhesive properties, and is widely used in theatre, film and television productions.  Although strong, it can be torn by hand as needed,  leaves little or no residue and will generally not damage most surfaces.  If you look closely, it was used a LOT in the first SW films, and is a good temporary fix for cracks/splits.

0k9gG4o.jpg?1

-- alternatively --

2Duct tape (white/2" (5 cm) wide: 

Everyone knows it has a powerful adhesive property and super strength, but it leaves behind a strong, sticky residue which can be difficult to remove, especially if left on for extended periods.  Rubbing alcohol, Goo Gone or even cooking oil can remove it, but it is not easy so therefore is not suggested.

xkIb1tx.jpg?1

In case you have a strapping issue (snaps pop out, strap disconnects from an armor piece, etc.) it's not a huge deal if you are prepared.  Installing/setting snaps in the field is not always possible (unless you have a hammer/snap setting device) and can take time.  Though temporary, a quicker alternative is to use nylon strapping (you probably have a few feet left over from your build) cut to length with Velcro (cut to size) in lieu of the snaps.

3Black 2" (5 cm) wide nylon strapping 2' (60 cm) long:

Black 1" (2.5 cm) wide nylon strapping 2' (60 cm) long.

Industrial Strength Velcro *** (2" x 4" sections)

MtTOW0c.jpg?1  ehxBIpY.jpg?1  PBlfGLe.jpg?3

***  Although very strong, it will a leave residue from the adhesive backing.  This can be removed from your armor with Goo-Gone or a similar product.

NOTE:  If you want to be extra prepared, having lengths of other materials (nylon.elastic, white Velcro etc.) used in your build are encouraged.

4.   CA (Super) Glue (Single use sizes)

5Zip-Kicker 

I am not a fan of using CA glue on any armor part, but in an emergency it can certainly come in handy.  If needed, I highly suggest using the GEL type, as it will not run like the regular type does.  Available at most craft and "Dollar" stores.

Zip Kicker is an accelerant that will set CA glue instantly.  There are other name brands, but I used this one as an example.  Available in a spray or aerosol.

xVlyiqS.jpg?1   aDRYROU.jpg?1

6.  Razor knife

7.  Lexan scissors

8 Sanding sponge

Having a sharp razor knife on hand will come in handy for many things, including cutting strapping, Velcro, etc.  For safety, I recommend the folding type as seen below, and always have a new blade in it.  Dull blades are useless.  Be CAREFUL when cutting.  As TKs, we are not known for our shooting accuracy, especially when missing our trigger finger.

Lexan scissors are great for cutting/trimming ABS, especially if you need to cut shims for cracks/splits (see below).  Do NOT use these to cut Industrial Strength Velcro.  The adhesive will gum up the blades.

A sanding sponge is perfect to have in case you need to smooth out any rough edges that may be cutting into you or snagging your under suit.

fdCJJtP.jpg?1  QjrCDuS.jpg?1   pUx0Hst.jpg?1

Scrap ABS

A piece of scrap ABS about 2" x 6" can be used to make emergency shims for cracks.  Just cut it to the width/length needed and CA glue it to the inside of the affected area.

9.  USB battery charger/power supply

10.  Batteries

Whether you use the rechargeable USB type or regular type for your fan system, etc. having a backup is always a good idea.

q7IQn4F.jpg?1    2HEbCna.jpg?1

11.  Screwdriver (multi-bit)

12.  Small pliers

Although these may only be needed for those with the "classic" strapping system, they can be used to tighten helmet screws and such.  I have loaned mine to those with costumes from Lord Vader to Boba Fett on troops.  It's better to "have em' and not need em' than need em' and not have em'".  I have the "stubby" type screwdriver as seen below, as it takes up less room and all the bits are stored in the handle.

Ug61AYw.jpg?1   kAxLsQl.jpg?2

13.  Lens de-fogger

Even if using a good fan system in your bucket, you can still get fogged lenses.  Not only is it annoying, it's dangerous, as our field of vision is not the best to begin with.

You can purchase a product designed to prevent this, or (as I do) rub a bit of shaving cream (foam type) inside and polish it out before each troop.  Your choice.

m6ZAxF4.png?1   eh9TuLS.jpg?1

14.  Magic Eraser

15.  Paint pens

For minor scuffs on shiny white armor the Magic erasers really do the trick.  A single one will last a LONG time.

Paint pens are a quick and easy fix for deeper scratches in your armor (white) or touch-ups on the ear bumps, etc. (black).  I suggest the Acrylic type (not the oil based) paint as it can be more easily removed if/when needed.

4jnQVLF.jpg?1    TuFrfyW.jpg?2

16.  Adhesive bandages

It happens.  Cuts, armor bite, blisters, etc.  I suggest having a few of each in various sizes, especially as they don't take up much room.

rDq5khn.jpg?1

17.  Disinfecting wipes

Let's face it.  We wear compression suits and plastic so we sweat, and sweat can smell bad.  To keep my bin from having the aroma of a gym locker I use these to wipe down my armor before putting it away after each use.  Your fellow trooping mates (and the public) will thank you.  :D

Pt1PuNB.jpg?1

18:  Cleaner/Polish  

No Matter how careful you are with your armor, you are going to get scratches or scuffs.  It happens.  One way of dealing with it is to use a product that cleans and shines all at one time.  Although I have not used it (yet), this product has high reviews:  Link  and reviews here.  Thank you to Greg @Oldracer for this tip!

tdD45Yz.png

Now, there are a lot of other items that I have seen people carry....  electrical tape, a hammer, snap setting tool, safety pins, files, etc.  It all depends on your particular needs and how much room you have, but most of the above items will fit together in a medium sized plastic container.

Please feel free to add anything that you feel may help, and happy trooping!  

• Like 9

I painted up a tackle box that I take with me on troops:

89887782-5FF0-40B7-9B51-676BC9568056.jpeg.0cd480481953c94b1449c7e9689de154.jpeg

64B8FF14-DCC0-4C5A-87E2-675467099A51.jpeg.be6116d345b7bf6b63213b89d6b681f2.jpeg

It has most of the things in Joseph’s list. I also carry white/black/silver paint pens and sharpies for emergency scratch repairs.

• Like 7

On 11/27/2019 at 10:19 PM, Harbinger said:

I also carry white/black/silver paint pens and sharpies for emergency scratch repairs.

Awesome idea, Brien, and THANKS!  Added to the list.

• 8 months later...

Thinking of a scenario in which you may be in a parade and quite some distance from your starting point, staging point or even your car, would it be acceptable to mod your TD tube to open and actually carry some “emergency repair” items in there?

8 minutes ago, Imperial Dentist said:

Thinking of a scenario in which you may be in a parade and quite some distance from your starting point, staging point or even your car, would it be acceptable to mod your TD tube to open and actually carry some “emergency repair” items in there?

I modified mine, a strip of elastic with velcro on the ends ;) 

0lmNkhe.jpg&key=602e21c47576256dccb67b9d

• Like 1

You’ll likely find that there would be more “storage” room inside your chest or back plates than in your TD. Some Troopers Mount their speaker system in their chest, and others also hang a pouch with a lanyard from their neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
6 hours ago, Oldracer said:

Here's the best spray polish on planet Earth. 

I've tried it out on my kit, and it works great!

Added to the list (#18) and THANKS!

45 minutes ago, Bartman said:

Commenting so I can find it later and add this to my things to do while waiting for armor and everything else to arrive.  Good thing I love lists since there seems to be a lot of them in this endeavor.  Bart

Bookmark this thread it contains quite a lot of useful links, this one incldued

This is my compact emergency trooping kit.

Just a few basics to repair strapping, Velcro, spare Han Hooks, extra snaps and the all important Super Glue lol.

This little kit has saved my trooping day a couple of times, is small enough to fit in my armour pack which is a suitcase.

Products not from Trooperbay, just a sticker I stuck on the lid.

JHN6gFg.jpg?1

C3oPn5s.jpg

DY6Qwnj.jpg?1

I am picking away at this list.  About one half I can get locally.  I want to be sure, though, on the Clorox wipes.  This is for sure?  A bleach wipe for the inside of the armor?  I thought this would be bad for ABS so want to be 100% sure.

Also, Since the helmet will have some foam and some velcro in it to collect sweat, is there a product that is better for that?

Bart

I use lysol wipes. They have disinfectant but no actual bleach. I just wipe by hand with no gloves or anything. I bet the clorox ones above are the same. Just whatever you'd use to clean a counter top. You could also just use lysol spray and a paper towel.

For the bucket I try to always wear a head sock or balaclava to help collect sweat. But good helmet padding is removable and washable. I probably should wash mine soon... hmm.

I don't know how the AP helmets arrive.  I know I will add fans right away, but jitters will keep me from doing anything to change it dramatically for quite a while until I get used to the idea of tinkering with it.  I do like the welding green shades that others are screwing in, but until I have it on with my glasses to know for sure I wouldn't touch that either.  I'll look for Lysol instead of Clorax wipes just to be on the safe side.  Most things that I can't get locally I can find on Amzon.ca.  That polish/cleaner is the worst in terms of price, but everything else is straight forward.  Bart

Any automotive compound/polish will polish abs nicely. I use Meguiars Ultimate Compound, ScratchX, or whatever rubbing compound is nearby when I'm cleaning my armor. Even plastic polish works, but requires much more elbow grease. 

No need to go for an exotic polish. Hit your local auto parts for a light scratch remover and call it good. 

Yup, that will work! And if you rub it on by hand (not with a machine) it's extremely idiot proof. It would take probably days straight of hand rubbing to wear through the armor.

Armor is very forgiving. If you have ABS paste at your disposal - made from spare armor trimmings - you can even heal holes in it.

Ok I will add this to my shopping list.  Even my OCD wouldn't allow for machine polishing or4 straight days of hand polishing so I should be ok.  My first "official" accessory (the icomm and amp) should arrive this week.  There is still a lot to unpack on the list of things to get and even something to transport it all in.  Bart

10 hours ago, Bartman said:

I want to be sure, though, on the Clorox wipes.  This is for sure?  A bleach wipe for the inside of the armor?  I thought this would be bad for ABS so want to be 100% sure.

It's just the name brand.. they don't contain any actual bleach.  Anything that kills germs will work!