StarTrooper's TFA/TROS FOTK Build Thread (KB Props)

StarTrooper

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Looking good! Will you shim the seam or overlap slightly?

Speaking over overlaps, have you got enough on the inside of each greave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didn’t even know that overlap was allowed, will it affect approval at any level?

Edited by StarTrooper
  • Like 1

I didn’t even know that overlap was allowed, will it affect approval at any level?

Overlaps were a feature of the TFA and TLJ kits, but more pronounced on the latter. Biceps, thighs and greaves.

13735bd78158fabbe107650b4a3b4884.plist

Okay cool, thank you both so much, I think I'm going to overlap then, as it's screen accurate as well. It also looks a bit cleaner than trying to use inner cover strips.

Here's how much I have for the overlap on the inside of the shins.

QniHn3w.jpg

Also here's a side by side of the slight overlap on the outside compared to the join.

2iQQjkv.jpg

Join

wBAye7q.jpg

Overlap

I think the overlap looks much better.

Thanks again.

Edited by StarTrooper
Mistake
  • Like 1

I prefer the overlap look, I used enough overlap for a piece of Velcro to run along.

Coming along nicely :D 

• Like 2

Just now, gmrhodes13 said:

I prefer the overlap look, I used enough overlap for a piece of Velcro to run along.

Coming along nicely :D 

Cool, yeah I only thought overlap could be used for the inside of the shin, I didn't know it could be for the outside of the shin as well:)

• Like 1

The ‘tab’ you have is your inner shin/calf area for the velcro. There doesn’t seem to be much room on the outer side to do very much of an overlap. Check your clip greeblie to make sure you have enough room to apply it. The indentions as-is are almost the same size as the clip greeblie. I believe from the research I’ve done on these that the outer seam is meant to be fitted as a butt seam with a strip inside to glue each piece to.

The other thing I’ve found is that if you use the formed trim lines, it seems that once you put the shin and calf together the spat doesn’t go around them. I wanted to leave the top part where it was and trim around the ankle to help the spat fit, but I have yet to have time to play with it all. The spat needs almost all of its return edge removed.

If anyone else had better information or some tips, please chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

• Like 1

Okay maybe I should have posted a picture of what I was asking earlier.
Just to confirm, is overlaps on both sides accepted, or is it only on the inside.
54qTIxK.jpg&key=05785abdcabafb182262d1d4f31c6372c6f5e317bfd4df3bf56dc7ff371a7f67
2L21He5.jpg&key=7f412e3d731a2fd878007f954608ed708b5665fb0f11187bc7a29eceed3e3c0e

I would say you’ll need to shim the outer greave to create the required seam. Make sure the large greeblie fits well to determine final fit.

The inner seam can overlap as you wish.

8 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I would say you’ll need to shim the outer greave to create the required seam. Make sure the large greeblie fits well to determine final fit.

The inner seam can overlap as you wish.

Okay cool, thank you! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Back with another update!

First off...

Shins

I've glued the outsides of the shins together, and then added a strip of Velcro down the insides.

Now the shins are almost done.

Here's a funny looking picture of the glueing setup.

pmjrKLC.jpg

XKniHjI.jpg

urX98cE.jpg

g36nQH4.jpg

Also I took a page out of TheSwede's book, er build thread and clipped the corners of the inner strips. Just because no-one sees it doesn't mean it can't look nice!

oMFez7W.jpg

Shoulder Connectors

Trimmed and almost ready for glueing.

1b24gUK.jpg

N7Bi4Eo.jpg

Knees

Knees are trimmed as well.

Untrimmed

kXoCAtg.jpg

Trimmed

l9ovEHk.jpg

Forearms

The forearms are almost ready to be glued, I just have a question about the wrist end. At the moment, I can get my hand through, although it's kinda a squeeze. So can I take any more of the edge off? Or is it about right. (I also need to finish sanding)

C9lsLW1.jpg

And thats pretty much it.

Until next time

Edited by StarTrooper
Forgot a picture
  • Like 3

Nice work, there are a couple of references. You may notice the front @1/3rd of the forearms weren't glued to allow them to open up for larger hands.

CX7j6JO.pngJrT5BOg.pngr1PYZJX.png

Looking good buddy.

I’ve never been a fan of the detail on the CommPad edge - it’s oval rather than rectangle.

Is it too late to cut it out and back with a piece of black styrene?

48 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work, there are a couple of references. You may notice the front @1/3rd of the forearms weren't glued to allow them to open up for larger hands.

Cool thank you for these images!

14 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Looking good buddy.

I’ve never been a fan of the detail on the CommPad edge - it’s oval rather than rectangle.

Is it too late to cut it out and back with a piece of black styrene?

That sounds like a good idea, the pull isn't very sharp on that part either.

So I should cut out the area highlighted in red?

P91Uoiq.jpg

That sounds like a good idea, the pull isn't very sharp on that part either.
So I should cut out the area highlighted in red?
P91Uoiq.jpg&key=f01bb7225490ba1d6c7ff54ec53b38a837bdde555bd01411478679002eaa2b5d

That’s it! You can even consider doing the black square in the CommPad. That was recessed too.

Here’s further reference to all wrist/CommPad detail.

2af1e19c5ffb6432a97907dbaba6b57b.jpg127346f4a2beef919a1dee762bffc9e2.jpgd0cce7335437935ae0b0c62191be931d.plist

Pics are from my personal repository. No credit details available.

• Like 1

Alrighty, KB forearm mod is basically completed, just need some black styrene.

I think it looks much better, and it was relatively simple to do!

First use the cutting wheel tool of the Dremel to make a small cut.

Hj5IsCO.jpg

Then go in with Lexan scissors and make it bigger, but not too far.

aCmOwvv.jpg

Finally, finish cleaning up the edges with a needle file and, done!

PU1Kzv1.jpg

nQN6WoO.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work Jayke :duim:

Not sure how accurate you're shooting for but if your up for it the box that you cut the hole in is technically a separate piece from the rest of the forearm. Not quite sure how you would pull that off without some serious work. This would be a good time to consult your GML to see what they have to say. 

Reference photo

l2uCvBB.jpg

Thank you, I’ll see about modding that at a later time. I also checked the CRL and it says that separate wrist boxes are for Centurion, so it shouldn’t be a problem for basic approval. I would like to go for Centurion, but I’m not sure if it’s my goal at the moment. If I were to mod it though, I would maybe 3D print another forearm box, and slip it on overtop.

•  
  • Like 3

Just now, StarTrooper said:

Thank you, I’ll see about modding that at a later time. I also checked the CRL and it says that separate wrist boxes are for Centurion, so it shouldn’t be a problem for basic approval. I would like to go for Centurion, but I’m not sure if it’s my goal at the moment. If I were to mod it though, I would maybe 3D print another forearm box, and slip it on overtop.

•  

Copy that :duim:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Looking for Gaskets
On 11/25/2019 at 7:15 PM, StarTrooper said:

Hey everyone!

This is exciting!:)

So, my birthday was yesterday, and my amazing parents gave me a First Order KB Props kit! (Thank you Mom and Dad)

As you may have seen, I have been building an ANH TK for the past several months, and is now almost complete. Building the armor was one of the greatest experiences of all.

For this build, I will be building the standard TFA Stormtrooper, although that may change in the future. (Pauldron or Riot Control Gear, as I have the Black Series Baton)

Lets get into the specs:

Helmet: KB

Armor: KB

Gaskets: Attempt to make myself before purchasing

The armor is set to arrive in less than 3 weeks, right around the release of The Rise of Skywalker. Get me even more hyped for the movie;)

And that's about it so far

I can't wait to start and to experience this journey with you all again.

Until next time

Hey there Startrooper- I completed my ANH TK build a while back and after quite some time, am getting parts my my First Order build. I’ve found everything I need with the exception of gaskets. Can you tell me where you found yours, I’ve exhausted my internet searches. Thanks, TK10021

47 minutes ago, Guest Looking for Gaskets said:

Hey there Startrooper- I completed my ANH TK build a while back and after quite some time, am getting parts my my First Order build. I’ve found everything I need with the exception of gaskets. Can you tell me where you found yours, I’ve exhausted my internet searches. Thanks, TK10021

Hey! Good to hear another new FOTK! For the gaskets, I managed to pick some up at a local Joann’s which happened to have some in stock from this link:

https://www.joann.com/cosplay-ribbed-pleather-fabric-black/16228017.html

I’m not sure if there are any near you, but it’s definitely worth a check. Unfortunately you can’t order it online, it seems like they are no longer making it.

If not, it might be a good idea to message jimmiroquai on the RPF (Replica Props Forum) or Geeky Pink here on whitearmor.net.

Hope you find a solution!

Edited by StarTrooper
Clarity
  • Like 1