StarTrooper's TFA/TROS FOTK Build Thread (KB Props)

StarTrooper

Just in case you haven’t joined them yet, there are actually two build groups on Facebook. Several good shots of our kits and some really good threads of advice (mainly from the fellas right here on this forum).

0b9efc99d0ea33379fbc8ae71c501277.jpgf600c62ef80fdf02147dfd50aac28a54.jpg

I noticed you aren’t painting some of your pieces. Seems that even though KB has made some big changes to their molds since even the last run of kits, you’ll still need to paint.. especially given the yoke to back connection is so large and will require some blending to look seamless. Just wondering how closely the ABS that’s used will match up to the paint.

Also, just a forewarning.. don’t cut the bottom line on the shins. It’s a guide for the spats to ride on, not a cut line.

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAFO said:

I guess the answer is whatever you’re comfortable doing to get the desired look is the way to go. Are you able to trim more from the other side to get the result?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

33 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Looking good Jayke.  Once you fill in the seam the area will look more proportionate. You don't want to trim off too much as it may leave the bicep too small for your arm, especially after you install the gaskets.   

Thank you guys for both for your inputs. I might be worried if I took off too much, and then the gaskets wouldn’t fit under the bicep. That being said, I might be going out to look for some gasket material today, so if there is some room still with the gasket on, I’ll adjust the bicep accordingly

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Krisko720 said:

Just in case you haven’t joined them yet, there are actually two build groups on Facebook. Several good shots of our kits and some really good threads of advice (mainly from the fellas right here on this forum).

0b9efc99d0ea33379fbc8ae71c501277.jpgf600c62ef80fdf02147dfd50aac28a54.jpg

I noticed you aren’t painting some of your pieces. Seems that even though KB has made some big changes to their molds since even the last run of kits, you’ll still need to paint.. especially given the yoke to back connection is so large and will require some blending to look seamless. Just wondering how closely the ABS that’s used will match up to the paint.

Also, just a forewarning.. don’t cut the bottom line on the shins. It’s a guide for the spats to ride on, not a cut line.

Thank you very much for the info, I will definitely check out those groups! Also, it appears that I will have to paint my kit, so I’m planning to use Rustoleum 2x gloss white. It’s cheap and I’ve heard looks pretty good.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the info, I will definitely check out those groups! Also, it appears that I will have to paint my kit, so I’m planning to use Rustoleum 2x gloss white. It’s cheap and I’ve heard looks pretty good.

Yeah, same stuff I’m using. And good work so far! I’m almost to the assembly stage myself and it’s a little overwhelming knowing I have to start permanently gluing everything together. Thankfully this new run of KB kits has evolved into being a simpler assembly and isn’t as involved as some of the older ones.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krisko720 said:

Yeah, same stuff I’m using. And good work so far! I’m almost to the assembly stage myself and it’s a little overwhelming knowing I have to start permanently gluing everything together. Thankfully this new run of KB kits has evolved into being a simpler assembly and isn’t as involved as some of the older ones.

Thanks, yeah I’ve seen some of the earlier kits, dodged a bullet with those 4 piece forearms:laugh1:

1 hour ago, StarTrooper said:

Thank you guys for both for your inputs. I might be worried if I took off too much, and then the gaskets wouldn’t fit under the bicep. That being said, I might be going out to look for some gasket material today, so if there is some room still with the gasket on, I’ll adjust the bicep accordingly

By the looks of it you could stand to remove a bit more return edge in some areas, this may free up some room for your gaskets. Speaking of which if you're interested Geeky Pink sells great looking gaskets here and through FB. 

2 hours ago, ukswrath said:

By the looks of it you could stand to remove a bit more return edge in some areas, this may free up some room for your gaskets. Speaking of which if you're interested Geeky Pink sells great looking gaskets here and through FB. 

I agree, especially on the forearms, still need to trim more off.

I did just make a run to a fabric store, couldn’t find anything, although I’ve decided that cloth gaskets can come later, I’m going to look for rubber first.

I agree, especially on the forearms, still need to trim more off.
I did just make a run to a fabric store, couldn’t find anything, although I’ve decided that cloth gaskets can come later, I’m going to look for rubber first.

Good luck and let me know what you find. All roads lead to dead ends from when I did a search a month ago. The two that made them no longer do so.

When in doubt you can also check out the gallery section ;) 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/27-tfa-tk-reference/

21 hours ago, Krisko720 said:

Good luck and let me know what you find. All roads lead to dead ends from when I did a search a month ago. The two that made them no longer do so.

For sure! I hope to eventually have an easy way for people to make gaskets rather inexpensively.

19 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

When in doubt you can also check out the gallery section ;) 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/27-tfa-tk-reference/

Yep! I’ve been studying those photos a lot:)

It’s the rubber gaskets that are impossible to find. From what I understand you’ll need a mold to form them.

The regular gaskets are easy to find. I got all my stuff from GeekyPink until rubber ones are available. But from what I’ve been told on here, rubber is still and hot. And you don’t particularly need rubber just to troop in.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krisko720 said:

It’s the rubber gaskets that are impossible to find. From what I understand you’ll need a mold to form them.

The regular gaskets are easy to find. I got all my stuff from GeekyPink until rubber ones are available. But from what I’ve been told on here, rubber is still and hot. And you don’t particularly need rubber just to troop in.

Ah ok. I’m going to keep doing research on the cloth material, and see what I can find.

Hey everyone!

I apologize for the confusion regarding the gaskets, I made a plan so I'm just going to stick to it!

So, for now until someone makes rubber gaskets, I will use fabric to make my own. Here is the link.

https://www.joann.com/cosplay-ribbed-pleather-fabric-black/16228017.html

Also, work on the armor should resume, as I was traveling over the weekend.

Hey everyone!

So after a little break I decided to get back to it!

First off, I started printing off the F11D made by The5thHorseman.

r9rjSQk.jpg

I must say that it looks incredible!

More pieces on the way.

Next I Dremeled out the chest opening.

JnnYfa3.jpg

And taped the back, yoke, and chest together to see how it looks.

0bghKbV.jpg

Pretty nice, but I need to take the side edges off. It's pretty faint, but I have marked the cut lines in pencil.

ZXLWekk.jpg

ynWfIMB.jpg

Wyy5J1W.jpg

Work continues!

Until next time

• Like 3

If you look on the inner chest piece, there’s a ‘very’ faint line where they tried to give us a place to cut. It’s supposed to match the curvature of the back piece very close to the vents. It’s a bit hard to see.

45ea23705b583856eca9eea9f0e87225.jpg

(Pic is screenshot from KB’s FOTK Armor Building Facebook page)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Krisko720 said:

If you look on the inner chest piece, there’s a ‘very’ faint line where they tried to give us a place to cut. It’s supposed to match the curvature of the back piece very close to the vents. It’s a bit hard to see.

45ea23705b583856eca9eea9f0e87225.jpg

(Pic is screenshot from KB’s FOTK Armor Building Facebook page)

Thank you so much for pointing that out, I wasn’t sure where to cut, so I just cut off a smidge of the edge. I will definitely look for that line:duim:

Hey everyone!

Back with an update!

Rough trimming continues.

Lets start with the chest.

Chest

Trimmed the sides down to accurate size.

WyEfQxf.jpg

4gqBFfD.jpg

For the back/ yoke, I'm going to wait till I glue them together to trim the sides so that it looks like one piece.

Also I found the trim line and drew it out in pencil.

QlESvHa.jpg

Shoulder parts

Dremeled them out using a cutting wheel, made quick work of those.

pZsqEnV.jpg

PuSuFZf.jpg

Abdomen

Didn't do much trimming, KB already rough cut the top and bottom edge and I didn't want to trim too much off. I only trimmed the sides.

BF7VsXT.jpg

ZCL3zOt.jpg

Shins

The shins were relatively easy, and they should be easy to put together, as unlike the thighs they already have the curve molded in which is good.

mErWKjk.jpg

bn87hrh.jpg

Cpb8FOi.jpg

Blaster

My 3D print of the blaster designed by The5thorseman is basically finished, and my does it look awesome! I'm blown away by the detail, it's just incredible.

pTFBFjf.jpg

Forearms

Did a little more trimming on the forearms with the cutting wheel, looking close to where I think it should look.

5VbISH6.jpg

And that is pretty much it.

On a side note, KB's rough trimming job is ok for the most part, but on a couple of the pieces they are slightly hacked at. Nothing major, but still a slight inconvenience.

bm8FFrh.jpg

fMGN4HV.jpg

I'm also trying to make the thread easier to read, note the change in font size.

Until next time

• Like 2

Making speedy progress mate - great job!

I trust the blaster is a quick test build with the smaller detailed pieces and end cap missing? Making sure whoever sent it didn’t forget pieces! Sadly happens all too often.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Making speedy progress mate - great job!

I trust the blaster is a quick test build with the smaller detailed pieces and end cap missing? Making sure whoever sent it didn’t forget pieces! Sadly happens all too often.

Thanks!

For the blaster, I have a 3D printer so I’m printing it myself. Some pieces are not there as they’re still being printed:duim:

• Like 1

Thanks!

For the blaster, I have a 3D printer so I’m printing it myself. Some pieces are not there as they’re still being printed:duim:

You’re doing a great job with the print