Bishop's 850 Armor Works FOTK Build

bishopdonmiguel

Guest Empire 3D

Why would you go the expense of casting them if you weren't going to sell them? 

You may not openly sell them but whos to say you won't behind closed doors.

Its also called common courtesy.

Just now, Guest Empire 3D said:

Why would you go the expense of casting them if you weren't going to sell them? 

You may not openly sell them but whos to say you won't behind closed doors.

Its also called common courtesy.

I don’t like PLA. I make props so I have the supplies available to make castings in the material of my preference. Like I said, I left the watermarks in so it would be impossible for me to get away with anything shady. I’m being open and honest and my build illustrates that.

I do agree that some, perhaps even many, people are unethical. That is a shame but if you knew me personally you would know I would never sell anything based on someone else’s work without permission and without compensation. My reputation is worth more than the few bucks I could make selling these.

So rest assured, you’ll not see these on anyone else’s kit.

Since you bring it up, should anyone ever express any interest, YOU would have the final say in that. Period. And you would get set the amount of compensation you wanted for each sale. But that assumes there would be interest and frankly, I assume I am the only one who prefers the heavier resin over PLA.

• Like 3

If the design was legitimately purchased (as it was in this case) but required some modifications to reach the particular needs of the person who paid for it, in my opinion I see no issue here.  The "watermark" was not removed, so any future castings would be instantly recognizable, and I do not believe this trooper is out to recast them or make a profit from selling them in the future.  He has simply taken the time and expense to alter your design slightly to better fit his goal.

As one who has made many a silicone mold, it's not easy (or inexpensive).  The fact that he has done this does not reflect badly on your design, but instead shows his desire to ensure that his end result is what he needs to make his armor look it's best.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 6:58 PM, justjoseph63 said:

If the design was legitimately purchased (as it was in this case) but required some modifications to reach the particular needs of the person who paid for it, in my opinion I see no issue here.  The "watermark" was not removed, so any future castings would be instantly recognizable, and I do not believe this trooper is out to recast them or make a profit from selling them in the future.  He has simply taken the time and expense to alter your design slightly to better fit his goal.

As one who has made many a silicone mold, it's not easy (or inexpensive).  The fact that he has done this does not reflect badly on your design, but instead shows his desire to ensure that his end result is what he needs to make his armor look it's best.

I have to agree with Joseph here. From what I can see he has consent to print the files. So long as he doesn't remove the watermark and resell them it shouldn't matter what material they're made from of as a finished product. 

Bishop has shown no desire to resell them so it's safe to say they are for his own personal use. 

• Like 5

Belt Boxes:

Finished up the last of the boxes. The cast-in Chicago Screws should allow for a good connection to the belt. Will probably use a piece of 1/8" ABS as a mounting point for some elastic cord that will connect to the belt. I've heard from JAFO that these get banged around a bit and he recommended a similar solution.

I'm really impressed with these models from Empire3D. If you are looking to replace the boxes in your kit with ones that are more accurate, you will not be disappointed. Highly recommended.

IMG-5356.jpg

IMG-5357.jpg

IMG-5358.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Torso Strapping:

There are many solutions to fit the armor. Based on my experience with my OTTK, I am comfortable with using nylon webbing and elastic. I'm adding a few quick disconnects at the shoulders for adjusting the hang height. Not really sure what the optimal fit is so those should be helpful.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, which is a frequent offense of mine, is there are reason why all the kits have a split back? This kit is designed with side seams and a solid back. I had originally planned to cut a seam as I have seen on many other kits. But that would introduce a point of weakness. I can "step into" the torso and simply pull it up, eliminating the need for a seam. I will need a handler to help snap on the thighs and shins... but I'd probably need one anyway for the back/chest.

QUESTION: Am I overlooking something obvious?

Torso straps attached with CA. Will criss-cross the back straps.

IMG_5420.jpgIMG_5421.jpg

Posterior:

I will be attaching the Posterior with snaps and nylon webbing. I prepped the straps with Line 24 snaps leaving some extra material. I then temporarily attached the Posterior with blue tape for positioning. Once I was happy with the look, I attached the straps with CA. I will probably trim the tabs a bit to prevent any binding.

IMG_5407.jpg

IMG_5408.jpgIMG_5418.jpgIMG_5419.jpg

Edited by bishopdonmiguel
Add image.

Codpiece:

For those with an OTTK, you know the discomfort having a "fixed" Codpiece. So I opted for a "floating" Codpiece here. First, I created a support system at the base of the Torso using nylon webbing. Snap on the back will connect to the Codpiece and allow it to float. Will probably add a few snaps to the front later to help keep the belt in place.

IMG_5412.jpgIMG_5415.jpgIMG_5414.jpgIMG_5416.jpgIMG_5417.jpg

• Like 1

First off best to try on your undersuit when fitting, normal clothes can make a difference but in saying that it's looking pretty good, you may find you may have to bring the ab/cod up a bit once you get your thighs on but time will tell.

Just with the TD it normally sits just over the belt so that may have to come down a little. 

Nice work, keep it up

11864945_871581766250439_714704688931996419_o.thumb.jpg.3e6f105e5661916cde048a43b7d96e62.jpgblast4.png.b32d63caa592e6a4191e403bed3eef82.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bishopdonmiguel said:

Codpiece:

For those with an OTTK, you know the discomfort having a "fixed" Codpiece. So I opted for a "floating" Codpiece here. First, I created a support system at the base of the Torso using nylon webbing. Snap on the back will connect to the Codpiece and allow it to float. Will probably add a few snaps to the front later to help keep the belt in place.

A flexing cod piece is very handy for those long stretches or bends down to youngling level, nice work

• Like 1

15 hours ago, darthkenny said:

Good to see another 850. Nice to see some updates in the molding. Had major issues with TD

Unfortunately, I had issues with the TD as well. Essentially had to rebuild it using the original parts as the base. Hopefully 850 updates that part for future builders.

Thermal Detonator:

Speaking of the TD, I failed to provide details on how I created the hangers. As previously noted, I plan to make some changes to improve the fit and prevent movement but needed to see how everything fits before making final adjustments. The hangers are ABS strips, bent with a heat gun.

IMG-4097.jpgIMG-4098.jpgIMG-4099.jpgIMG-4100.jpg

• Like 2