Bishop's 850 Armor Works FOTK Build

bishopdonmiguel

Similar to the forearms, I'd like to have sharper edges on the Torso boxes. I previously asked about accurate size but after some consideration, I decided I'd just build to whatever size was required to cover the existing bumps. I don't want to compromise the strength of the Torso by removing the existing bumps.

Torso boxes:

Using ABS sheet, I constructed shells that would sit over the existing bumps. These seem to have a flat area that intersect the angled one on the bottom edge. From reference pictures, seems two boxes have recessed details so I tried to replicate those as best I could.

I affixed with CA glue but these do not fit perfectly over the bumps. Have some concern that they will break off without a good bond so I drilled holes in the back and filled with more CA glue and accelerant.

Some filler eliminates the gaps against the Torso. The size and spacing isn't 100% accurate as I decided to use the existing bumps as mounting points. But I think the look is much improved.

IMG_4060.jpg

IMG_4065.jpg

IMG_4070.jpg

IMG_4068.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

• Like 2

Shoulder Bell Modification:
As previously noted, the Shoulder Bells in this kit have the lower bells molded in. After removing the faux lower bells, I cut 1.5mm ABS as replacements using the basic shape I’ve seen in other build threads. Using a heat gun, I bent these to roughly match the Shoulder Bells and then affixed with CA glue.

Unsure if I should trim further or lease as-is.

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG-3525.jpg

IMG-3526.jpg

IMG-3527.jpg

• Like 2

Shoulder Bell Modification:
As previously noted, the Shoulder Bells in this kit have the lower bells molded in. After removing the faux lower bells, I cut 1.5mm ABS as replacements using the basic shape I’ve seen in other build threads. Using a heat gun, I bent these to roughly match the Shoulder Bells and then affixed with CA glue.

Unsure if I should trim further or lease as-is.
IMG_3522.jpg&key=caba63444441ecf46e2b8a772db238d5f8e5217c09cee1e5a9cb0527026babcf
IMG-3525.jpg&key=cd2d0b23796ecd5f3cfbd0507e9cf5b9a7cf11b22115fac5cb3f5af85918f3be
IMG-3526.jpg&key=40bcbd5651b4d78fc7a7c66e5113b80551e1ec143523b774dc6001d041578799
IMG-3527.jpg&key=ad012e11eb30e7a13f088926975806b44c6b45a912b22a7f0b88c2573b71ccc5

Another great mod! The lip looks great shape wise but perhaps a tad wide based on this reference. It’s negligible really so up to you whether you trim.

ab3bb93fef031bf9047b80ace4bd53b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

The lip looks great shape wise but perhaps a tad wide based on this reference. It’s negligible really so up to you whether you trim.

Thank you for the feedback, I was thinking same. Will address this once I get the chest/yoke assembled for comparison against reference.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Forearm Rail:

As previously noted, I wasn't happy with the included resin rail. Modeled a replacement and 3D printed. I don't feel PLA is a resilient material for trooping so I molded this and will be casting using semi-rigid resin.

I included the original kit rail for comparison.

IMG-4151.jpg

IMG-4162.jpg

IMG-4163.jpg

• Like 6

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, Kacrut said:

Hi, ... any Updates with your 850 FOTK build? Thank you.

The whole COVID mess has induced some build depression. Like, all dressed up but nowhere to troop.

I do need to get back to work on this, if for no other reason than to get the parts off the guest room bed.

• Like 4

Hi Don,

Yeah tough times for many out there brother, but we will be hear for you when you can get back to it.

I hope things start looking up for you soon.

Stay safe and well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to make some progress on my kit.

Belt Boxes:

As previously noted, the boxes that ship with the kit are mostly incorrect. The large pouch and front boxes are passable but the other 2 smaller ones are simply unacceptable.

I printed these black boxes from files obtained from 3D Empire. As I do not like PLA as a prop material, I will be molding and casting these masters using a semi-rigid resin. Possibly heavier but will be much more durable. During prep, I added some hardware that will make attaching to the belt easier I think.

IMG-3134.jpg

• Like 2

Small update for today.

Belt Boxes:

Got the molds for the front boxes finished and cast the parts. Reasonably happy with these. I cast Chicago screws into the white pieces so they there will be a strong mechanical connection through the black spacers and into the belt.

IMG-5341.jpg

IMG-5343.jpg

• Like 2

Guest Empire 3D
8 hours ago, bishopdonmiguel said:

Belt Boxes:

Finished the mold for the pouch cover and cast with resin. After painting to match the armor, will use velcro to attach to the pouch I acquired from Trooperbay.

IMG_5344.jpg

IMG_5348.jpg

You don't have permission to do this. 

I'm very disappointed to see this. You should have come to me prior

2 minutes ago, Guest Empire 3D said:

You don't have permission to do this. 

I'm very disappointed to see this. You should have come to me prior

I purchased the files. I left the watermark in the print to ensure people knew where I obtained the models. I haven’t offered to sell my castings to anyone. Not sure I understand your concern.