Getting my ANH TK armor soon.

Mad Dog 20/20

I want to start by saying that I'm stoked to have found Whitearmor.net forum. It saved me from a massive migraine from knowing who not to buy armor kits from. Once my BBB arrives I will post pics of that and my build progress. Also I was wondering about proper TK armor builds. I noticed in ANH that it looked like only the left handed troopers have gun holsters. So do I have to have a holster on the left side to be 501st approved? I am right handed. And could I have holster on right side or not worry about it? Thanks for input :')

• Like 1

Hey Alan welcome to the FISD.

It's the ANH Stunt and Hero movie gun (prop) design that requires the holsters to be mounted on the left. ESB and ROTJ armor holsters are on the right.  So long as the armor you buy allows for the correct build type you're golden.

The build threads offer an abundance of information that will assist you with this as well as every other aspect of armor types.  

Edited by ukswrath

2 minutes ago, Von Goodleef said:

I wanted to add this. Every time I go to TKboots.com the website is no longer in existence and up for sale. I don't know who to direct this to. So maybe everyone will know that website is closed.

Yea they're closed. You can buy them from Imperial boots but they take orders in waves then shut down to complete the orders. https://www.imperialboots.com/# 

Similar boots can be found elsewhere you'll just need to do a little research.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Hey Alan welcome to the FISD.

It's the ANH Stunt and Hero movie gun (prop) design that requires the ANH Stunt and Hero holsters to be mounted on the left. ESB and ROTJ armor holsters are on the right.  So long as the armor you buy allows for the correct build type you're golden.

The build threads offer an abundance of information that will assist you with this as well as every other aspect of armor types.  

Sweet. Thank you for that info. And thank you for the warm welcome. I more than likely will be buying from Dave's dark side Depot. I will do more research on a right handed holster. 

1 minute ago, Von Goodleef said:

Sweet. Thank you for that info. And thank you for the warm welcome. I more than likely will be buying from Dave's dark side Depot. I will do more research on a right handed holster. 

You're very welcome

Dave's dark side depot, never heard of him, have a link?

Edited by ukswrath

5 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Yea they're closed. You can buy them from Imperial boots but they take orders in waves then shut down to complete the orders. https://www.imperialboots.com/# 

Similar boots can be found elsewhere you'll just need to do a little research.

I've seen lots of places that sell boots. I just want good and comfortable quality ones.

• Like 1

Just now, Von Goodleef said:

I've seen lots of places that sell boots. I just want good and comfortable quality ones.

So long as they meet the requirements in the CRLs you'll be ok. https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

Just now, ukswrath said:

You're very welcome

Dave's dark side depot, never heard of him, have a link?

He's on Facebook and here is his email: davesdarksidedepot@gmail.com

I've talked to him on the phone and he seems like a cool dude and was very helpful.

• Like 1

For boots there’s always the traditional method: black Chelsea boots painted white. 

For an ANH trooper the holster is always on the left hip. It’s nothing to do with the handedness of the trooper it’s how they were on screen. In many scenes you see all troopers carrying lefty. I know many troopers who emulate this when trooping but I personally struggle so only do it when the look requires it. 

Welcome to the FISD, Alan!  As you have probably realized, there is a ton of information here but we are here to help every step of the way, so always feel free to ask any questions you may have.  I have a few links under my signature image below that may help.

33 minutes ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

For boots there’s always the traditional method: black Chelsea boots painted white. 

For an ANH trooper the holster is always on the left hip. It’s nothing to do with the handedness of the trooper it’s how they were on screen. In many scenes you see all troopers carrying lefty. I know many troopers who emulate this when trooping but I personally struggle so only do it when the look requires it. 

Aawesome. Thank you much

Welcome!!!! I'm a newly approved member of the 501st as of September. This past summer I built my first set of armor with the help of all these awesome people her on the FISD! Listen to the advice and always ask questions if you're not sure about something. No question is stupid or unimportant. Chances are someone has dealt with whatever problem you're having. Also, be open to changing your feelings about things. I found myself so sure of something then to be shown that I was wrong or misinformed. Trust the process and your fellow crazies. We are here to help. Check out my build thread and good luck on your journey!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

So do you use white leather paint on the boots once you prep them for painting?

Hi Alan and welcome to the FISD.  There is ton of info here to help you.  To get you started, check out this new post that really helps visualize what is required for the original trilogy TK builds.  And, as mentioned above, don't be afraid to ask questions.  Good luck!

22 hours ago, echo327 said:

...and always ask questions if you're not sure about something. No question is stupid or unimportant. Chances are someone has dealt with whatever problem you're having. Also, be open to changing your feelings about things.!  

Well stated, Erick.  You hit the nail right on the head with that advice!!  :duim:

1 hour ago, Von Goodleef said:

Should I have someone help me with the fitting of my armor while I'm building it? Or can I do it by my self? Mostly with the chest and back.

For most parts you can fit them yourself... a roll of blue painter's tape and a full length mirror will be your best friends for this.  It does help to have someone when getting fully kitted up, but is not a 100% necessity.

I would highly suggest starting your own build thread, and here is why:

1.  You can ask as many questions as you like.  As Erick stated, "No question is stupid or unimportant" and you will get more responses.

2.  You can (and should) post progress pictures, and lots of them!  This especially helps when you have an issue.  Seeing an actual photo makes it MUCH easier to help.

3.  Keeping everything in one thread helps you (and us) keep track of your progress.

4.  Since others may have a similar issue or question it can help them as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that building a quality set of armor takes time.  Like all of us, I'm sure you want to get it done and start trooping, but rushing leads to mistakes.  When in doubt, always measure twice (or more), and ask for advice before cutting.  Consider this a marathon and not a sprint and you will come out with a truly spectacular set of TK armor.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

For most parts you can fit them yourself... a roll of blue painter's tape and a full length mirror will be your best friends for this.  It does help to have someone when getting fully kitted up, but is not a 100% necessity.

1.  You can ask as many questions as you like.  As Erick stated, "No question is stupid or unimportant" and you will get more responses.

2.  You can (and should) post progress pictures, and lots of them!  This especially helps when you have an issue.  Seeing an actual photo makes it MUCH easier to help.

3.  Keeping everything in one thread helps you (and us) keep track of your progress.

One thing to keep in mind is that building a quality set of armor takes time.  Like all of us, I'm sure you want to get it done and start trooping, but rushing leads to mistakes.  When in doubt, always measure twice (or more), and ask for advice before cutting.  Consider this a marathon and not a sprint and you will come out with a truly spectacular set of TK armor.

Awesome.  Thank you much

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

I do indeed want to to have a Quality set or armor =')

I also was wondering? Is it ok for me to build my Stormtrooper armor from either of the original trilogy styles and still be 501st approved?

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

I do indeed want to to have a Quality set or armor =')

20 minutes ago, Von Goodleef said:

I also was wondering? Is it ok for me to build my Stormtrooper armor from either of the original trilogy styles and still be 501st approved?

Yes, you’ll find there are CRLs for all three of the original trilogy Stormtroopers, they have their differences though, so keep that in mind when picking one.