MV's ANH TK Stunt [ATA] 1st Build Thread for Centurion

MaskedVengeance

Hello there Troopers!

My name is Caleb, and I'm from Chickamauga, GA, right outside Chattanooga, TN. I've been a lifelong Star Wars fan and have wanted to build a stormtrooper outfit and join the 501st for over a decade. I am finally taking steps to become a TK, spending much of my free time on this FISD forum saving links and soaking up a wealth of information, and I thought I'd start my official build thread to begin getting feedback. The goal: ANH Stunt, likely from ATA, built to Centurion rank specs.

My wife and I have a 7-month old little girl, so my build time and financial resources (I'm having to sell personal items to make this dream a reality!) will be limited, and I expect this project to take 6-9 months to complete. My hope is that I can be a TK for Halloween in 2020, and walk my little baby Princess Leia (not her real name) down the street. I can just picture her holding my black-gloved hand (with flex guard!) and taking tiny 1.5-year-old baby steps. Maybe her candy bucket will literally be a small TK bucket turned over with a handle added. Ok, enough fantasizing and mushy talk. In a perfect world I'd be done with my TK build and Legion-approved in time to participate in some May 4th events (if any exist in my area).

50697086297_5377d5fd30_o.png

INDEX OF PROGRESS (THREAD LINKS)

All-In-One Index of Tips, Tutorials, and Build and Request Threads

Photos of Tools, Supplies, and Parts:

Dremel, E-6000, and sanding sponges

E-11, TB flexible hand guards, TB helmet decals, Testors enamel paint

Snap fastener kit and monocular for blaster lenses

Build Your Own blaster bases for DLT build

Jigsaw, heat gun, digital caliper, and Joseph's Centurion hardware

Hasbro blasters (for backup) and scratch build DLT pvc pieces

3M chemical gloves and lexan scissors

Darmon E-11 holster and neck seal and rare earth magnets

3M 6200 respirator and filters

Pre-attached flexible hand guards and gloves from Joseph

Cut-resistant gloves, hand rivet tool, and holster lubricant

Mounting hardware that came with ATA armor

Sandpaper, Dritz drop box elastic, heavy chemical gloves, black nylon strapping, and Novus polish

Humbrol and Testors enamel paints, Model Master spray and acrylic paints, craft foam, TB masking templates, Sugru, acetone, mineral spirits, and screw thread covers

Thermal Detonator (TD) clips from Ukswrath

Fabric by the yard and pinking shears

Kittell Belt (Imperial Issue), enamel paint, Milliput, white adhesive velcro, and Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating spray

DIY dowel sanding tool

E-11 Blaster Arrival

E-11 Photo Review (separate thread)

Flexible Hand Guards Comparison

421 Imperial Boots Unboxing

HWT Build Thread Tangent (separate thread)

Updated Build Component List

Double Snap Strap System Arrival

BBB Day and Unboxing

Raw PRE-CUT ATA armor pieces:

Forearms

Biceps, Shoulder Bells, Thighs, and Calves

Forearms, Biceps, and Shoulder Bells (additional)

Torso pieces: Chest, Ab, Back, Kidney, and Posterior

Sniper Plate, Shoulder Bridges, Drop Boxes, TD, and Ab Buttons

Helmet Components: faceplate, top/back, ears, Hovi tips, hardware, TD end caps, extra ABS, Brow & S-Trim

Belt and Knee Pack

ABS hand guards

First Armor Cut & Trimming:

Return edge trimming:

Forearms and Biceps + second round (separate post)

Thighs, Calves, and Shoulder Bells

All torso pieces

Rough trimming:

Sniper plate, shoulder bridges, drop boxes, TD, ab plates + additional sniper plate (separate post)

ABS belt and knee pack

Closer trimming:

Thighs and calves

Ab and Kidney seam connection

Chest, Ab, and Backplate

Posterior

Sanding:

Drop boxes and shoulder bridges + additional drop boxes (separate post)

Holster Stretching/Forming + part two (separate post)

Cover Strip Cutting

Paint Colors Discussion

Making Magnet Sachets

I Dreamed A Dream

COVID-19 Update

Thermal Detonator Part 1

Thermal Detonator Part 2 (including MANY screen captures)

Troopers Helping Troopers

Helmet:

Helmet Components: faceplate, top/back, ears, Hovi tips, hardware, TD end caps, extra ABS, Brow & S-Trim

Helmet Work Begins

Rough Helmet Trimming

Imperial Dentistry (Teeth Trimming)

Helmet resources, ear & brow Intro, side trap painting

Vocoder test painting & teeth sanding question

Teeth & eye sanding, Hovi tip reinforcement & painting, lens installation, interior painting, vocoder height adjustment

Vocoder painting, frown painting, Hovi mesh installation, frown mesh installation

Traps and Tears painting

Helmet Repainting: traps, frown teeth, ears, interior hardware. Faceplate and cap alignment, neck opening

Helmet Completion: Face-Cap attachement, Brow, Ears, Tube Stripes, Neck S-Trim, FINAL PHOTOS  [NEW]

The Empire Strikes Back

Tribute to Terrell Reber, ATA Founder

Personal Life Update

Printable/downloadable PDF of my entire build thread to this point contained in [THIS SHARED FOLDER]. The PDF will typically be updated within a few hours of my own new posts and will note sequential version numbers and revision dates.

50697086297_5377d5fd30_o.png

Anyway, here are the components I will likely move forward with. If any of you Troopers have experiences (good and bad) with any of them, reach out to let me know if I'm heading in the right direction, or need to reassess. As of today (11/20/19) I have not pulled the trigger on any of these purchases, but I will be doing so in the next few days and weeks. For reference, I am 6' tall and my weight ranges from 175-190 lbs, depending on the time of the year (Thanksgiving and Christmas are blissfully dangerous).

UPDATED COMPONENT LIST IN THIS LATER POST (link)

Bucket: ATA

Armor: ATA

Undersuit: tbd. Likely two-piece.

Boots: Imperial Boots 421

Gloves: Trooperbay (glove + flex guard combo)

Strapping: tbd. Likely double-snap strap system

Blaster: Trooperbay E-11 rubber, similar to Hyperfirm and Praetorian (gotta splurge somewhere)

Holster: DarmansProps (Etsy)

Neck seal: DarmansProps (Etsy)

Belt: Imperial Issue (TKittell)

TD hooks: tbd. Preferably something prefabricated, with Centurion screen-accurate screw hole locations

Since I would like to build my ANH Stunt TK kit with Centurion rank in mind, any tips regarding those specific details would be most helpful. In following different build threads I've found various photos of the requirements listed on the CRL, but I'm sure there are more things to learn and see diagrammed or photographed. The TK, EIB, and Centurion approval request threats have already been very insightful, and shout out to @zv288bot who has been extremely helpful on my local Georgia Garrison forum! I've also read that @pandatrooper has a great ATA TK build thread, but I can't seem to locate anything other than the TD thread on MEPD. Can anybody help with the link? Perhaps I don't currently have the proper account permissions?

Here are a few questions I currently have.

• I understand that darkening the inside of my bucket will NOT disqualify me from Centurion status, and based on reading and advice, I'm considering using thin neoprene to "black out" the inside. Any tips as far as that is concerned?
  • What members/vendors can provide pre-made double-snap strapping systems? I know that @TheRascalKing makes some, but he is currently out of commission due to medical reasons (we should send him well-wishes and encouragement from the Detachment and Legion!)
  • I'm planning on using the "hand painted look" Classic Trilogy decals from Trooperbay. The 501st ANH stunt TK CRL states "Tears/traps shall be hand painted or use decals that emulate hand painted (with correct ANH TK details)," which leads me to believe that the Trooperbay decals could work. Would this also apply to the tube stripes? I'm a perfectionist, and I'm just not confident that I'd be happy with an imperfect [hand] paint job, though perhaps I should simply convince myself that perfect screen accuracy would actually be an imperfect paint job. I do understand that I'll still need to paint the teeth and ear/rank area.
  • Should I really order a full size up from my regular shoe size when ordering from Imperial Boots? I normally wear an 11/11.5 US, so perhaps I should go with a size 12? Any personal experience with this? Obviously I'd prefer to wear extra socks than have shoes that are too small.
  • I've been told that helmet fans are very necessary, and I'm wondering how easy it is to put something together myself (purchase components), rather than purchase a pre-made system. Component recommendations?
  • Helmet padding: What pre-made pads have you used? I envision using velcro for ease of adjustment and removal for cleaning. I like the idea of padding rather than a hard-hat liner, but I hear that helmet shift could be an issue. Would a chin strap disqualify me from Centurion (assuming it's OUT of view)? Strap recommendations?
  • I've been eyeing the iComm and Aker systems for voice modulation/amplification, but they're not exactly pocket change. (I've sorta viewed my blaster as the splurge of this build, but I'm not gonna lie, a TK voice would be AWESOME!) I hear that Aker mic placement and overall cabling can be tricky; any recommendations on after-market mics? I may also just look for a USED iComm down the road.

Now that this post is sufficiently too long, I'll try to wrap it up. The pinned posts in the "Getting Started" area have already been, and will continue to be super helpful, as I'm sure all your feedback will be as well. Here shortly I will make a post in the "New Member Introductions" forum, but I wanted to start this Build Thread first so I can link to it in my Introduction post. I will, of course, be adding a lot of images to this thread as my build progresses.

I look forward to joining the Legion, GA Garrison, and Venator Squad in the not too distant future! Thanks in advance, Troopers, for all your help! This is going to be a long, but glorious ride! Now off to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters...

Until next time - MV

Edited by MaskedVengeance
Added link to updated component list, added INDEX
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:
  • I understand that darkening the inside of my bucket will NOT disqualify me from Centurion status, and based on reading and advice, I'm considering using thin neoprene to "black out" the inside. Any tips as far as that is concerned? You can pretty much do whatever you want to the inside of your bucket - sound dampening and darkening is something many troopers do.  Myself, I lined much of the interior with Velcro - that way I can move around my electronics and padding anyway I want.
  • What members/vendors can provide pre-made double-snap strapping systems? I know that @TheRascalKing makes some, but he is currently out of commission due to medical reasons (we should send him well-wishes and encouragement from the Detachment and Legion!) Making your own strapping is very easy - there are How-to tutorials in the how to section.  The thing is, the strapping is a very personal thing that will need adjusting - you are probably better off doing it yourself.  For example, I use a combination of nylon webbing and elastic to maximize comfort and to maintain the proper look when wearing it.
  • I'm planning on using the "hand painted look" Classic Trilogy decals from Trooperbay. The 501st ANH stunt TK CRL states "Tears/traps shall be hand painted or use decals that emulate hand painted (with correct ANH TK details)," which leads me to believe that the Trooperbay decals could work. Would this also apply to the tube stripes? I'm a perfectionist, and I'm just not confident that I'd be happy with an imperfect [hand] paint job, though perhaps I should simply convince myself that perfect screen accuracy would actually be an imperfect paint job. I do understand that I'll still need to paint the teeth and ear/rank area.  I didn't use the decals, but I did use Trooperbay's painting templates for my TK.  If you are going for the authentic look, hand painting is the way to go.  I'd be more than happy to pass along some tips to help you out.  
  • Should I really order a full size up from my regular shoe size when ordering from Imperial Boots? I normally wear an 11/11.5 US, so perhaps I should go with a size 12? Any personal experience with this? Obviously I'd prefer to wear extra socks than have shoes that are too small.  Sorry, I have never ordered from IB. 
  • I've been told that helmet fans are very necessary, and I'm wondering how easy it is to put something together myself (purchase components), rather than purchase a pre-made system. Component recommendations?  YES!  get fans!  I've used a few different options.  My current set-up is two fans connected to a USB power source.  I believe Trooperbay sells the Henry fans - which I have in two of my buckets - this kit works great and comes with options to add a switch.  Installation is easy.
  • Helmet padding: What pre-made pads have you used? I envision using velcro for ease of adjustment and removal for cleaning. I like the idea of padding rather than a hard-hat liner, but I hear that helmet shift could be an issue. Would a chin strap disqualify me from Centurion (assuming it's OUT of view)? Strap recommendations? I used padding then switched them out for hard hat liners with some extra padding in select spots for comfort.  It depends on the size of your head and how things fit I suppose.  I believe some of the original buckets had chin straps, so you will have no issues with adding one to your bucket if you find you need it.  As for types of padding, I have mostly used tactical padding or helmet padding kits found on Amazon.  I have also used adhesive weather stripping in some cases.
  • I've been eyeing the iComm and Aker systems for voice modulation/amplification, but they're not exactly pocket change. (I've sorta viewed my blaster as the splurge of this build, but I'm not gonna lie, a TK voice would be AWESOME!) I hear that Aker mic placement and overall cabling can be tricky; any recommendations on after-market mics? I may also just look for a USED iComm down the road.  The TK voice really sells it!  People always give you that second look when you say something.  I have a Icomm system.  It works great with the Aker and the supplied wired mic.  I have the amp in my chest facing outwards and the mic attached to my bucket with velcro.  Some use a wireless mic but I could never find one that worked for me on a continual basis.  I don't have any issues with feedback.  I used to use the TrooperTalk system, it is a cheaper option but you need to use a iphone with it.  It is a really cool app but I find the icomm much easier to use (it can be hard to fine tune TrooperTalk to eliminate feedback - well, for me anyways).

I've added my two cents where I can - see above. Good luck!

• Like 2

On 11/20/2019 at 7:54 AM, MaskedVengeance said:
  • What members/vendors can provide pre-made double-snap strapping systems? I know that @TheRascalKing makes some, but he is currently out of commission due to medical reasons (we should send him well-wishes and encouragement from the Detachment and Legion!)

Much appreciated, my dude! Hit me up in the new year if you still need some. I should be finishing up treatment by then. Trying to stay active on the boards when I can though. I'll jot down some thoughts on your build too when I have more time!

OP (MV) Post #2

Research here on FISD continues, and several purchases have now been made, including an E-11 blaster, decals, and flex hand guards from Trooperbay (Holiday sale!), and several crafting supplies from Walmart. In my next post I will document all my running purchases and costs for this build, and will update that specific post throughout this build process. For now I simply have a few thoughts and more questions for those already indoctrinated.

Since TK-4510 shipped my Trooperbay order so quickly (ordered day before Thanksgiving and shipped on Black Friday), I am expecting tomorrow (Monday) to be a MBB Day. That is, a medium brown box day worthy of recognition since my rubber E-11 will be inside! I'm new to this 501st universe so I must preface this by saying I've never even seen the old Hyperfirms or newer Praetorian blasters before, but based on the social media images and videos from Mike and Hellhounds Props, I have HIGH HOPES and am super excited! I will try to do a review of the blaster by this next weekend, with many close-up images. Stay tuned in the Weapons Locker forum for my post!

In my initial new member introduction and first post in this thread I mentioned that I'm expecting this build to take 6-9 months, and while I still suspect that such a time frame is still likely, I've identified another sub-goal which I'd like to aim for. After checking out the FISD monthly newsletters from the present back to July, I realized that I may be able to land in the first 1,000 individuals to be awarded EIB status (a current program by FISD!), and also the first 500 for Centurion. Based on the number of current awards in those areas (947, 451 as of the Nov newsletter), and the monthly trends from the past five months, I should be able to remain in those thresholds if I finish in the next 8 months. Sure, I know such a goal may not have much meaning, but I thought it'd be neat. I like nice round numbers.

Speaking of numbers, I've been pondering what five 501st ID numbers I'll be submitting on my application, and I found the threads mentioned in one of the recent newsletters fun to read. I like how the posts offered a personal look into the individuals in the faceless suits. I currently have seven TK numbers I'm considering for various reasons, and look forward to being able to post the significance of my eventual selection on those threads.

Questions

• First, late last week I had a freak-out moment when I realized that I may be too large for ATA armor. I am 6' tall (some Doctors say 5' 11 3/4") and currently about 185 lbs (I fluctuate between 180 and 190). I wear size US 34 pants, and the actual measurement around my pants-line (hips) is 38 inches. The largest circumference of my stomach is 40 inches around. Should I expect to need to shim the kidney and ab sections of ATA armor? Similarly, I wondering about the height of the high pieces, which cannot really be shimmed. The height from the top of my knee to my pants-line (hips) is 18 inches. Are ATA thighs tall enough to minimize black caps and enable me to pursue Centurion status?
  • Regarding TD clips: I am planning on purchasing some but want to make sure I get the proper curve for Centurion status. Does it matter which way the bend on the armor side of the clip bends towards? I'm currently eying @ukswrath's pre-made clips.
  • The photo below shows a few of the craft items I purchased, and I am working off of @justjoseph63's supply list, also linked below.
  • Can anybody speak to the quality of the Dremel 7700? It received mixed reviews on Amazon due primarily to the battery, but I'm curious about whether even a low-model Dremel brand product would be similar to a different brand (i.e. Avid Power "Rotary Tool Kit 1.5 Amp with 110pcs Accessories" on Amazon).
  • Did I purchase the correct E6000? I got two tubes, and figured the clear color would be best. I plan on over-applying the flue when doing my cover strips so that I can easily pull off the excess in one fell swoop.
  • Are these the sanding "sponges" that Joseph intended in his supply list? I also plan on getting the flexible sandpaper that he mentioned, as well as the appropriate files. Should I look in a cosmetics section for such files?
  • Additionally, I'm utilizing imgur for the photo below, and it wasn't as easy as I was expecting. It wasn't difficult, but the steps noted in a recent FISD thread didn't work for me. I couldn't find the BBCode link to share, and instead had to right-click and copy the image location, rather than just copying the imgur post URL, which wouldn't paste properly here into the forum. All that is beside the point, though, since my real question is whether or not there is a way to resize the photo below. I figure there may be times when I'd like to insert smaller images for various reasons.
  • Finally, what's the proper forum etiquette for tagging other members? I didn't see mention of that in the forum guidelines, and I wouldn't want to be inappropriately tagging the awesome Troopers whose information and products I'm referencing.

49166676186_cae14a22c5_o.jpg

Alright, I think that's it for me. It's 2:15am here in Georgia and I need to wake up in less than four hours for work. I have a bad feeling about this...

Caleb

[MV]

image URL updated from imgur to flickr
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Questions

• First, late last week I had a freak-out moment when I realized that I may be too large for ATA armor. I am 6' tall (some Doctors say 5' 11 3/4") and currently about 185 lbs (I fluctuate between 180 and 190). I wear size US 34 pants, and the actual measurement around my pants-line (hips) is 38 inches. The largest circumference of my stomach is 40 inches around. Should I expect to need to shim the kidney and ab sections of ATA armor? Until you get it trimmed and do a dry fit with your undersuit on it will be hard to tell, but you should be good to go.
  •  
  • Similarly, I wondering about the height of the high pieces, which cannot really be shimmed. The height from the top of my knee to my pants-line (hips) is 18 inches. Are ATA thighs tall enough to minimize black caps and enable me to pursue Centurion status?  You should be fine, but some pics will help determine this.
  • Regarding TD clips: I am planning on purchasing some but want to make sure I get the proper curve for Centurion status. Does it matter which way the bend on the armor side of the clip bends towards? I'm currently eying @ukswrath's pre-made clips.  Tony's are spot-on, so no worries there. :duim:
  • The photo below shows a few of the craft items I purchased, and I am working off of @justjoseph63's supply list, also linked below.  :D
  • Can anybody speak to the quality of the Dremel 7700? It received mixed reviews on Amazon due primarily to the battery, but I'm curious about whether even a low-model Dremel brand product would be similar to a different brand (i.e. Avid Power "Rotary Tool Kit 1.5 Amp with 110pcs Accessories" on Amazon).  Dremel makes a quality product, so you should be good.  I would advise picking up an extra sanding drum attachment and replacement covers (see photo below).
  • Did I purchase the correct E6000? I got two tubes, and figured the clear color would be best. I plan on over-applying the flue when doing my cover strips so that I can easily pull off the excess in one fell swoop.  Clear is best.
  • Are these the sanding "sponges" that Joseph intended in his supply list? I also plan on getting the flexible sandpaper that he mentioned, as well as the appropriate files. Should I look in a cosmetics section for such files?  Those sponges are perfect, and the flexible sandpaper will last you forever.  Seriously.  I did an entire TK build plus a resin E-11 build and used one sheet.  I still have that sheet.
  • Additionally, I'm utilizing imgur for the photo below, and it wasn't as easy as I was expecting. It wasn't difficult, but the steps noted in a recent FISD thread didn't work for me. I couldn't find the BBCode link to share, and instead had to right-click and copy the image location, rather than just copying the imgur post URL, which wouldn't paste properly here into the forum. All that is beside the point, though, since my real question is whether or not there is a way to resize the photo below. I figure there may be times when I'd like to insert smaller images for various reasons.  Left click on the image in your imgur Gallery.  On the menu that pops up, left click on Copy next to the Direct Link option and paste it.  To edit (reduce, crop, etc.) scroll over the image in the gallery.  You will see a pencil underneath on the left.  Click on that, which will highlight the image, then click the Edit button above the images on the top.  This will bring you to the editing page.  
  • You can use the mouse to crop (then hit Apply).  To change the size, on the upper right you will see two numbers, i.e. 175 x 286.  These can be changed manually to get the size you want.  After editing you MUST hit SAVE at the top.  Also, if you delete a pic in your gallery, it will disappear from your post as well.
  • Finally, what's the proper forum etiquette for tagging other members? I didn't see mention of that in the forum guidelines, and I wouldn't want to be inappropriately tagging the awesome Troopers whose information and products I'm referencing.  As long as it's not derogatory, like@justjoseph63 is a pin-head" (lol) you are fine to tag anyone you like.

Hope this helps, and keep the questions coming!  Y9dwwob.jpg?2

OP (MV) Post #3

Thank you all for your helpful comments! Family life with an 8-month old has been busy, and since my time on FISD is primarily squeezed in here and there on Tapatalk, it takes me a couple of days to get back to my desktop machine and type out a post such as this. So here's an update.

MBB (medium brown box) Day was the day before yesterday!!! Christmas came early! Needless to say, I was eager to rush home from work.

49166202068_aa940c2aa3_b.jpg52470865745_57636f5a9f_o.jpg

While I don't have anything to compare it to, that rubber E-11 is sweet. I still plan on posting a review in the appropriate Weapons Locker forum, but based on reviews I've read, the quality of this one from TB and Hellhounds appears better than at least the old Grade B Hyperfirms (I've never seen photos of the top level). Praetorian does seem to have cleaner seams, and a few fine details which this one doesn't, but here's the kicker: this rubber E-11 has a separate metal scope rail, with open space underneath! I know, the image above doesn't clearly depict that. Stay tuned for my review post! (I'm also curious to know if this E-11 would be approved at level 3).

I also checked out my local Michael's store for paint, and only found Testors. Perhaps Humbrol is only available in the UK or online. This was a tiny 0.25 fl oz bottle I got for $0.90. I wonder how much I will need for just the frown, since I plan on using "painted-style" decals for the traps and tears. I may try Hobby Lobby to see if they have larger bottles, and also the satin black and French blue colors.

On the armor front, I've been in touch with Terrell (ATA) and he says that his right-side thigh piece is 16" tall with the recommended trim lines, and the left-side piece is a little over 15" tall, I imagine to accommodate the sniper plate. In my previous post I mentioned that the distance from the top of my knee cap to my belt-line is 18", but since I've never worn armor before I don't know how far below a Trooper's normal belt-line the top of the thigh pieces should end. I know the black gap is supposed to be minimal. Below you'll find diagrams of what I'm attempting to describe. That's me on the left, and the Legion ANH Stunt TK CRL model on the right. I'd assume that a TK's normal belt-line would be somewhere underneath the actual armor belt, but my question is would the thigh armor end any closer than two or three inches below said belt-line. I don't want increased gaps to disqualify me from Level 3.

49171288448_ec405e1a06_o.jpg     49171994412_9c2cfdd0ae_o.jpg

Imperial Boots opens up their next wave this Friday, so I'll be grabbing some 421s, ordering half to a whole size up from my regular shoe size. It's too bad that the shipping cost is equal to half of the price of the shoes. Perhaps I'll ask my local squad (Mos Nooga of the Midsouth Garrison) if anybody else is planning on ordering, and potentially pool shipping costs.

Finally, I've decided to give Flickr a try for image hosting, since I'm already a user on that platform, but I'm still having trouble pasting BBCode here into FISD. Am I supposed to use the Code feature on the menu above, or just past here into the body? I will continue to try imgur as well, to see what ends up working for me. I did discover the image resizing feature here on this forum's platform, so that has been helpful.

Now to continue sourcing snaps, rivets, and Chicago screws/rivets...

MV

p.s. It's no Throne Room or Imperial March, but currently my 8-month old daughter loves when I sing her the Cantina Band song. Amusing.

Updated image sizes for smaller monitors; prev post link; photo width reformatting, collage insertion
  • Like 1

OP (MV) Post #4

In my previous post I mentioned that I'd received my rubber E-11 from @Hellhounds Props / Trooperbay, and this week I completed my photo comparison review (thread) of it verses the two other main rubber E-11 suppliers: Hyperfirm and Praetorian. Below are some of the images I took of my blaster and utilized in the review. It's my first E-11, and as such I'm giddy with it in-hand, but I think others would also find that Hellhounds holds their own with their rubber blaster.

49185816553_b73cf290cb_k.jpg

49185785028_648c26d80b_k.jpg     49185810298_7be0013843_k.jpg

Now back to my actual armor build progress. In my previous post on this build thread I added several photos showing my thigh height (knee to belt-line) versus the armor thigh piece height from ATA, and I'm still hoping to hear some feedback from some of you Troopers. The right-side ATA thigh piece is 16" tall with the recommended trim lines, and the left-side piece is a little over 15" tall, I imagine to accommodate the sniper plate. The distance from the top of my knee cap to my belt-line is 18", but since I've never worn armor before I don't know how far below a Trooper's normal belt-line the top of the thigh pieces should end. I know the black gap is supposed to be minimal. In that previous post above you'll find diagrams of what I'm attempting to describe. That's me on the left, and the Legion ANH Stunt TK CRL model on the right. I'd assume that a TK's normal belt-line would be somewhere underneath the actual armor belt, but my question is, would the thigh armor end any closer than two or three inches below said belt-line. I don't want increased gaps to disqualify me from Level 3 status.

This week I also spent a lot of time pouring over @justjoseph63's Quick Reference Guide for armor from the OT. While compiling research for my build I've used a combination of electronic files and printed pages from FISD, and I felt the extensiveness of that AMAZING thread deserved to be printed out. Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something (I probably am), FISD posts don't print well, and I also wanted to remove the repeating post signatures and create clickable links in an index. After many hours of copying, pasting, image resizing, font coloring, and page formatting, I completed a PDF version of the guide which I can then easily use as a resource on my iPad throughout my build, and also print out for my research/reference folder. (Joseph, I sent you a PM about all this). An added benefit of doing all this is that I was staring at and reading the content repeatedly, and thus I have a better understanding of all that will be required for me to reach Level 3 Centurion status. Seriously guys, Joseph is amazing. But I'm sure you already knew that.

This week I also received some new materials for my build, shown below. The snap fastener kit came from Amazon, and I do not intend to actually use any of the snaps for functional purposes. I really just wanted the fastener tool, and the bonus snaps will just be used cosmetically (think Han snap). The snaps and strapping will be of high quality from TheRascalKing. The monocular will hopefully be the source of the optics for the E-11 scope, per @T-Jay's research/poll thread. My hope had been to simply jam the lenses into the both rubber ends of the scope, but unfortunately upon disassembly I discovered that the lenses are thicker than I anticipated, so I may need to bore into the scope ends a bit for added depth. Big bummer, since I had hoped to avoid cutting into the rubber and foam. It also appears that the smaller lens may be a bit too large for the front of my scope. Might anybody have some alternate lens piece suggestions that aren't too costly?

49203372356_a2769f7ee5_k.jpg

Yesterday I also stumbled upon the DLT-19 threads here on FISD and on MEPD, and I'm now kinda hooked on the low-cost scratch build idea. I have a bad feeling about this. I should probably concentrate on my first TK build first before foraying into the world of blaster construction. Side note related to this: Where have folks sourced their T-tracks? It seems that Super6Props is one of the more popular ones, and I know that @SlyFox740 also found what appears to be the screen-used RO variant.

I do have one last question, related to FISD forum posts. Is there a method to save drafts of posts or responses to be opened later on a different device? It appears that when I close a draft response on my desktop computer the typed text and images remain when I next go back to it on that same browser and machine, and I've experienced the same thing on Tapatalk, but the draft content doesn't appears to be saved for retrieval on a different device. Am I missing something?

Finally, if it isn't obvious by now, I'm considering this TK build process as a journey, and as such I want to integrate some semi-related (but not always so) personal notes along the way. Last week we finally finished decorating our Christmas tree, and I chuckled at the juxtaposition of Fett next to the angel. I'm surprised my wife continues to give me Star Wars ornaments, but hey, not gonna complain.

52471011443_80608f6808_o.jpg

Until next time.

MV

photo width reformatting, collage insertion
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

I do have one last question, related to FISD forum posts. Is there a method to save drafts of posts or responses to be opened later on a different device? It appears that when I close a draft response on my desktop computer the typed text and images remain when I next go back to it on that same browser and machine, and I've experienced the same thing on Tapatalk, but the draft content doesn't appears to be saved for retrieval on a different device. Am I missing something?

Hi Caleb, i think It could be due to when you open the Forum in another device, a new session is open as well, so the draft content remains active only in each session for each different device.  :coffee2: :salute:

Cheers

I do find when I come back to a post I have started but not submited it does keep a copy when I return, but this is only via computer ;) 

On 12/11/2019 at 5:31 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

I do find when I come back to a post I have started but not submited it does keep a copy when I return, but this is only via computer ;) 

On 12/11/2019 at 5:33 PM, TKSpartan said:

the same with me.  :coffee2:

Thanks gents - That's been my experience as well. I was just hoping that I could continue drafts on multiple devices, since I use up to four different ones. It took me a couple days to put together my E-11 blaster photo review since I had to wait to get back to my desktop at home late every night. Cheers.

Typo fixed
  • Like 2

Hi Caleb. Wow, what an awesome thread so far. Your statement of being a perfectionist, is clearly visible in every post. I really like that and being so will help you in this hobby. :)

14 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

(...)   The monocular will hopefully be the source of the optics for the E-11 scope, per @T-Jay's research/poll thread. My hope had been to simply jam the lenses into the both rubber ends of the scope, but unfortunately upon disassembly I discovered that the lenses are thicker than I anticipated, so I may need to bore into the scope ends a bit for added depth. Big bummer, since I had hoped to avoid cutting into the rubber and foam. It also appears that the smaller lens may be a bit too large for the front of my scope. Might anybody have some alternate lens piece suggestions that aren't too costly?   (...)

The lenses from such a monocular are indeed a very good source. Over the last few years they have successfully been used in countless resin-scopes, so there is no need to search for anything else. Okay, simply gluing them onto a rubber-scope won't work, but you bought a Dremel and can hollow a recess for them to sit in. Just keep in mind, transparent lenses will always show what is behind them, no matter if glue or grinding marks. Therefore I would suggest to give it a try and hollow that rubber scope from both ends. On the bigger side you could then even install the lens-carrier with retainer ring. See here and here for inspiration.

However you decide to attach the lenses, do NOT us CA (super) glue, as it will permanently fog up the insides of the lenses, (trust me on this one).  I would go with @T-Jay's method and Dremel out a recess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T-Jay said:

The lenses from such a monocular are indeed a very good source. Over the last few years they have successfully been used in countless resin-scopes, so there is no need to search for anything else. Okay, simply gluing them onto a rubber-scope won't work, but you bought a Dremel and can hollow a recess for them to sit in. Just keep in mind, transparent lenses will always show what is behind them, no matter if glue or grinding marks. Therefore I would suggest to give it a try and hollow that rubber scope from both ends. On the bigger side you could then even install the lens-carrier with retainer ring. See here and here for inspiration.

2 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

However you decide to attach the lenses, do NOT us CA (super) glue, as it will permanently fog up the insides of the lenses, (trust me on this one).  I would go with @T-Jay's method and Dremel out a recess.

Thanks guys. I will likely end up hollowing out some of the scope, but probably not the entire length since I suspect the foam and rubber would lose structure and strength, at least to a greater degree than resin. The solution I have in mind to deal with the transparency or translucency of the lenses it to cut out a circle in a white (or maybe orange/red) index card and then place a piece of semi-reflective material like silver/mirror cellophane on top of it. This would then be installed behind the lens—likely at the back of the hollowed out scope section, not touching the lens. I intend to use E6000 for this, and everything on my armor build, since I'm expecting to make some mistakes with this being my first build.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 9:19 AM, MaskedVengeance said:

I intend to use E6000 for this, and everything on my armor build, since I'm expecting to make some mistakes with this being my first build.

E-6000 is forgiving for sure, but I suggest posting up pics of all areas to be glued (held together with painter's tape) before actually attaching them.  The same goes for potential cuts.  I know posting a lot of photos can be a bit of a pain and extend your build time a little, but it's better to make sure it's done right on the first go-round to avoid having to re-do them later if there is an issue.

I know you want to get your armor done as soon as possible, (we all did, lol), but patience is the key.  

• Like 1

OP (MV) Post #7

Hey there all you popcorn lovers! Grab a bucket—this is going to be a lengthy (or perhaps simply photo-filled) update! I've been busy putting together my Reference Guide folder, with formatted copies the 501st CRL, [just]Joseph's quick reference guide (PRINTABLE), @Billhag's excellent diagrams, Cricket's magnetic shin closures, the GA Garrison's Handler Training Guide, and several other documents. More will be added as my research continues, and it won't be long before I outgrow my current binder!

52470765064_d8c9f9d38c_o.jpg

52470952225_44e134d0eb_o.jpg

As for the continuing receipt of items for my build, I was excited to hear that my ImperialBoots 421 boots order from the December wave has already shipped and is anticipated to arrive tomorrow. That's far earlier than I expected, and it means I'll have another pre-Christmas MBB day! I also received some mounting hardware the shiny flexible hand guards from Joseph, and boy do they blow away at least some of the competition. Add me to the list to builders who initially ordered some from TB only to find theirs to be thin and dull—generally not matching the color, shine, and lines of TK armor. Below are some comparison photos, and keep in mind that I did not correct the white balance on these phone images, so they appear more tan in color than they actually are.

TB on the LEFT (or first), Joseph's on the RIGHT (or second)

52471030453_5804d29db9_o.jpg

49257621478_235eef6549_o.jpg

49256507822_54dcb4ac48_o.jpg

49256315796_35348fa000_o.jpg

49256504007_e48fb8b66b_o.jpg

Observations of these two sets of guards: Those from TB are of even thickness throughout, and have overly crisp lines which will not match TK armor. Their color is also slightly off-white (not enough to be intentionally for a Sandy), the finishing is dull, and some molding lines are visible. On the contrary, those from Joseph are very white, have shiny finishing to match TK armor, and have no visible molding lines. Joseph's are also quite a bit thicker, featuring a tapered design with the greatest thickness at the the base of the fingers. See the last photo above to compare the thickness of the two guards at that same point. I suppose my pair from TB will now serve as a backup on troop days, but boy do I wish I had found Joseph's sale thread before purchasing the more expensive ones.

I thought I'd also take a moment to mention my method of posting photos, since this build thread will feature quite a few of them in the coming months. I have already been a Flickr user for many years, so I decided to utilize their services for photo hosting, as opposed to Imgur, which seems to be the most popular service here on FISD. However, instead of using the normal image sharing links provided by Flickr (or Imgur for that matter), I found a back-door method to link to the original high-resolution images hosted on the Flickr servers (AWS). This means that the FISD DOs or other users can click on my embedded thread photos, and instead of being redirected to an actual Flickr page or album, the full-resolution image opens immediately in the browser. This will hopefully make it easier for the DOs and other users to zoom in on the tiny details and provide accurate feedback. Also worth noting is that Flickr was recently acquired by Smugmug and the storage capacities for free users have already been decreased (similar to the Photobucket debacle), so I'm hoping that no further action will occur in the future, and that my galleries will remain intact. Then again, the Flickr CEOs letter to users could be interpreted in a less positive light...

As I've continued to wait on my TK items I've also been further exploring scratch-builds of several larger blasters such as the DLT-19 and T-21. I think I've come down with BFG syndrome. In fact, I just received this pair of "Build Your Own Blaster" bases which I found on eBay for $30 shipped, and I'm considering trying two variations of a DLT-19 build based on Astyanax's and HappyTrooper's builds. Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself. First I need Trooper status.

49256290961_73366ba308_o.jpg

So now back to popcorn. Literally. This weekend was the Episode IX premiere, and obviously I had a ticket to go with the guys. Below is a photo of my opening night (Thursday) ticket, taken yesterday (Saturday). Notice anything odd? Some of you will remember that I have an almost nine-month old baby girl, and this was also the last week of the semester for my wife who teaches kindergarten, so let's just say that a MASSIVE sleep regression coupled with an immeasurably difficult week and semester meant I needed to be home to support my family. I joined the guys at our traditional pre-premier Chinese buffet, right next to the theater I might add, then went straight home. This was a new experience for me—not participating in the opening night festivities—but throughout the day (before my plans had changed) I had a little fun at work.

49255806953_68e83b3d15_o.jpg     49255803168_da73a7761c_o.jpg     49255806658_a50b7dea40_o.jpg

My Rogue One Black Series helmet was a gift from my wife, and the first stormtrooper helmet I ever wore, so it holds a special place in my heart and served as a catalyst on this 501st journey. I'm looking forward to seeing what a completed ANH stunt bucket looks like next to this one! And while we're on the topic of gifts, for Christmas this year my nephew asked for the Jar Jar figure shown below, which I was slightly embarrassed to purchase for him. Then again, he is only seven years old, so I'll give him a pass, at least until I can properly indoctrinate him.

52471030503_2e44896d4b_o.jpg

Final thoughts. My build is becoming more and more real with every component package which is dropped on my porch. This immersion into TK armor has also really opened my eyes to details I previously missed when screening the OT. When recently watching ANH and ESB I was shocked at all the dropped biceps and taped armor! (Also what was up with the bubble wrap strips on the should straps of the Rogue Group snowspeeders on Hoth?!). I'm looking forward to continuing this process, and intend to continue to document my progress with lots of supporting photos and questions—pre-cut and pre-adhesion. Next up, photos of my 421 boots when they arrive.

MV

Typos; fixed old PDF weblink; photo width reformatting, collage insertion
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

OP (MV) Post #8

Christmas was last week, and Imperial Boots came through with perfect timing. My 421s came in, and here they are!

49285338591_5d2ac72ddb_o.jpg

49285338861_1746f07913_o.jpg     49284863513_f5d0639da3_o.jpg

49285551852_c299eb6ce9_o.jpg     49284866528_332a51cc47_o.jpg

49285339171_33e94ac383_o.jpg     49285548642_2a1dca7667_o.jpg

49285340106_9733453b46_o.jpg     49285343886_2ba798e73b_o.jpg

49284858393_7bf172845f_o.jpg

In my previous post I mentioned that I've come down with BFG syndrome, and some of you (@justjoseph63 & @TheRascalKing) will be happy to hear that my symptoms have fully developed into a plan to dual build my ANH TK Stunt as a HWT (CRL). For just a moment here I'm going to hijack my own thread and mention/ask a few HWT items.

Pauldron

Perhaps more so than wanting a large blaster, donning an orange pauldron has always been on my bucket-list, but I also want the ability to troop as a shiny TK. Lucky for me a HWT will allow me the option of choosing either while remaining within the CRLs. I've seen Troopers debate between Trooper1 and TB for the purchase of a pauldron, and I'm almost certain I'll be going with Trooper1 for my orange!

MP-40 Pouches

I likely simply need to do more research, but these recommended ebay ones from this thread are sold-out, so I'm seeking alternatives. I'd prefer to go pre-made, but any suggestions would be welcome.

I have many more thoughts and questions regarding HWT TKs, but in the interest of staying on-topic with this thread, I've created my own link-heavy HWT build thread linked below:

As my TK research has continued I also decided I need want more published print material, so I began searching for some books. Here are four books which I acquired for a grand total of $38.55 USD between two purchases on eBay and facebook marketplace. I really only wanted the first two books shown, but they were bundled with the latter two. I suppose there are worse things than having extra Star Wars books.

49295084697_94be729073_o.jpg

A couple other notes regarding my TK build. First, I technically haven't pulled the trigger on my ATA armor yet, but obviously I've already been acquiring build components. I've had a mental barrier with officially adding myself to Terrell's wait list until listing my DJI M2P drone for sale, and I've been held up in photographing it for the listing. As of this morning, the ATA wait time is around nine weeks, so I really do just need to get my name on the list, regardless of whether or not I've sold my drone yet. By the time I have to pay for the armor I will have surely have already completed the sale.

Second, as of today (1/1/20) I weigh 192.4 lbs. That's almost a record weight for me, and something that may be an issue with my ATA build, since the ab and kidney plates are not elongated like some other armors. Thus I'm officially going to be extra intentional about getting down to at least 175 lbs in the next couple of months. Not only will I feel better, but I'll also look better in my armor and I can hopefully avoid shimming.

Lastly, for some compulsory non-build topics. (For those that don't already know, I'm using this thread to detail the story of my TK build—as opposed to solely documenting and detailing the specifics of my build). So, on Christmas Eve and Day my aforementioned nephew (the Jar Jar fan) had a bad cough, and we weren't sure if his family would be able to join us for our gathering. Remember, I have a nine-month old whose immune system is, well, baby-like.  Thus, I made this mask:

49284867333_5853cb79aa_o.jpg

Additionally, in my increasing age (though I'm still young) I've lost both interest and the ability to stay awake for the New Years ball drop without something to occupy my time. This past week, after seeing TROS, my wife decided that she wanted to re-watch the saga, so we bumbled through the prequels (years ago I had already screened the saga to her in the Machete order) and started on ANH last night (New Years Eve). This image below shows exactly how far we made it before our daughter's sleep regression reared its rebel scum head, and the rest of our night until the ball drop was consumed with baby care. Further side note, watching Star Wars with my wife means I get non-bachelor style snacks—we had baked brie during Clones the other night. Yum.

49309128478_09a14b1f7c_o.jpg

Thanks for bearing with me on this extended journey! Happy New Years Troopers!

MV

prev post link; photo width reformatting
  • Like 1

OP (MV) Post #9

For the past week I've been consumed with my HWT build (thread), but I also have a few updates/questions on this TK Stunt side of things. First, an updated component list with some changed items since my first post, and  marks next to items already in-hand.

Bucket: ATA

Armor: ATA

Undersuit: Trooperbay One-Piece Double-Zipper (courtesy of a GA Garrison mate)

Boots: Imperial Boots 421

Gloves: Trooperbay gloves, Joseph's pre-attached tutorial pair

Hand guards: justjoseph63's kit (these are AWESOME!)

Strapping: TheRascalKing's double-snap strap system

Blaster: Hellhounds / Trooperbay rubber E-11

Holster: Darman's thread. 8oz leather (Etsy) (see questions below)

Neck seal: Darman (Etsy). I may consider fashioning my own to start with; see below.

BeltTKitell's Imperial Issue (site), (thread). Will likely purchase two to have a dedicated weathered one for my HWT.

TD hooks: Ukswrath's kit. Something prefabricated, with Centurion screen-accurate screw hole locations.

Mounting hardware: justjoseph63's kit for Centurion level approval

Helmet fans: Possibly Troopertronix (see questions below), B-Grade Echo Bracket from Ukswrath

Voice Mod/Amp: iComm (Etsy) with VB MR1506 (Aker) amp sometime down the road. Will try to find one used; let me know if you ever see one for sale!

Questions

• Are the Trooperbay rubber gloves superior in some fashion to any others on the market? I'm wondering if these two (1) options (2) would be ok. After purchasing the TB flexible hard guards I cam to realize that they are inferior to others readily available, so I want to avoid that happening again with the gloves.
  • Do any of you have experience with either the 4oz or 8oz versions of the Darman ANH leather holsters (thread) (Etsy)? I like the idea of the heavier 8oz construction, but might it be limiting in some way? I'd hate to spend extra only to find the lighter one would have been superior for some non-obvious reason. I did see this thread comparing Darman's soft goods to some others, and several Troopers said the heavier option was great.
  • It appears that Ukswrath's (Etsy) helmet fans are the gold standard, but I'm seeking something a bit more economical. I found the Troopertronix triple fans, which I believe would pair well with the extra USB battery packs I already own. I'm not sure if they come wired with a switch though, so I'll need to investigate further. Any good sources for the small brushless radial fans for a DIY solution?

DIY Neck Seal

When I first began my research I came upon Darman's seal pretty quickly and decided that was the route I wanted to go. However, I later stumbled upon this thread, which peaked my interest in DIY options. Several people have used these Home Depot weather seals, but I recently stumbled upon this Walmart bumper which I thought might also work. I like these options because they are low-cost, but with them I'd need to deal with constructing a rear closure, and it would also not be washable like Darman's is. That last point may actually be the kicker, since I know I'll be sweating down here in the south.

ARMOR ORDERED

My ATA armor has finally been ordered. AKA I'm on the wait-list for delivery sometime in February or early March. The holdup with the armorer is a delayed ABS shipment, but I'm really ok with that since my DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone hasn't sold yet. I'm also clearly still collecting soft goods, and will be working on my HWT backpack while I wait for the shiny white stuff to arrive. =)

Finally, here are some photos of some of my recently tool and hardware (from Joseph) acquisitions. The heat gun will actually likely see very minimal use since I know it can easily  destroy armor, but I am foreseeing needing to bend some ABS (bicep hooks and Cricket's magnetic shins), and I can also use it for other projects. The jigsaw will be for the woodwork on an eventual DLT-19, and hopefully a T-21 for my HWT!

49354794106_0b88f6678c_o.jpg     49354341798_015ef52030_o.jpg

I think that's about it for now. Amazingly, I don't have any non-build life stories to add at this time. Peace.

MV

Added missing photos; updated component list; photo width reformatting
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Questions

• Are the Trooperbay rubber gloves superior in some fashion to any others on the market? I'm wondering if these two (1) options (2) would be ok. After purchasing the TB flexible hard guards I cam to realize that they are inferior to others readily available, so I want to avoid that happening again with the gloves.
  • Do any of you have experience with either the 4oz or 8oz versions of the Darman ANH leather holsters (thread) (Etsy)? I like the idea of the heavier 8oz construction, but might it be limiting in some way? I'd hate to spend extra only to find the lighter one would have been superior for some non-obvious reason. I did see this thread comparing Darman's soft goods to some others, and several Troopers said the heavier option was great.
  • It appears that Ukswrath's (Etsy) helmet fans are the gold standard, but I'm seeking something a bit more economical. I found the Troopertronix triple fans, which I believe would pair well with the extra USB battery packs I already own. I'm not sure if they come wired with a switch though, so I'll need to investigate further. Any good sources for the small brushless radial fans for a DIY solution?

DIY Neck Seal

When I first began my research I came upon Darman's seal pretty quickly and decided that was the route I wanted to go. However, I later stumbled upon this thread, which peaked my interest in DIY options. Several people have used these Home Depot weather seals, but I recently stumbled upon this Walmart bumper which I thought might also work. I like these options because they are low-cost, but with them I'd need to deal with constructing a rear closure, and it would also not be washable like Darman's is. That last point may actually be the kicker, since I know I'll be sweating down here in the south.

Hi Caleb. It looks like you're doing your homework excellent :duim: about your questions I can give my personal experience with my Tk armor build.

1- Rubber Gloves:  I prefer the option 1 (Chemical gloves) they're thick and give a better shape to your hand. I recommendo you to use a cotton glove before you put the rubber ones in. 

2- The thick holster is in my opinion better than the 4 oz. one, better look and stay firm.

3- About the helmet fan I think you could use the system that better apply for you. I use two fan system from Henry's Helet fans fronm ebay and have no issues. but someone would prefer to use 3 of then or a Do it your self kit (I'm not good in electronics personally  ).

4- About the Neck seal for me is the same story as the helmet fan, I prefer the ready to go system than thje DIY one. it's about what you prefer and your builder skills for electrical and tailoring :laugh1:

Hope this can help, and if not,  thanks for reading  :salute:

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

OP (MV) Post #9

For the past week I've been consumed with my HWT build (thread), but I also have a few updates/questions on this TK Stunt side of things.

Rad, I'm a HWT as well, so I'll try to help on that thread too. Looks like you're off to a great start with your research.

Questions

• Rubber gloves barely matter - you'll likely wear em for your EIB and Centurion photos, and never again. If the DO will pass em, good enough. Consider these or similar for actually trooping - you want something lightweight and breathable. Many guys wear the nomex 'flight glove' style, I just don't like the leather strip on em. My rubber ones have my rubber handguards glued to em and sit in a box. The ABS ones breathe a little better.
    • Darman is rad and either is a good choice. I'd go heavier weight leather if you can afford it - it keeps shape better during use and storage and the actual weight difference is negligible.
    • Lots of good choices - Troopacoola, Henry's... DIY.... the reason I like my system from Tony/ukswrath is that I installed the Echo bracket with magnets, so I can swap it easily between helmets if I want to. Between that and how clean the install is, it's worth the extra couple bucks to me.

DIY Neck Seal

Bingo - the fact that Darman's is fabric and washable makes it very comfortable and practical. Pro-tip, if you have a longer neck, you can request to add extra ribs - my neck seal sits pretty high now, but with Darman's they're shaped to your neck/jaw, and I don't NEED to wear a balaclava if I don't want to.

ARMOR ORDERED

My ATA armor has finally been ordered. AKA I'm on the wait-list for delivery sometime in February or early March. The holdup with the armorer is a delayed ABS shipment, but I'm really ok with that since my DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone hasn't sold yet. I'm also clearly still collecting soft goods, and will be working on my HWT backpack while I wait for the shiny white stuff to arrive. =)

Finally, here is a photo of some of my recently tool and hardware (from Joseph) acquisitions. The heat gun will actually likely see very minimal use since I know it can easily  destroy armor, but I am foreseeing needing to bend some ABS (bicep hooks and Cricket's magnetic shins), and I can also use it for other projects. The jigsaw will be for the woodwork on an eventual DLT-19, and hopefully a T-21 for my HWT!

I don't even run bicep hooks. A tiny dab of E6000 at the very top of where the "thumbprint" is holds the bicep strap and everything in place well for me. Magnetic shins are cool, but velcro works great too. Just DON'T use crazy high-pull magnets or industrial velcro since you'll be getting in and out of it.

[tools and hardware photo to be added this evening]

I think that's about it for now. Amazingly, I don't have any non-build life stories to add at this time. Peace.

MV

Added some thoughts on stuff. Also, your strapping kit is seriously almost done - this round of chemo kicked my a** and set me back more than I expected, but I'm wrapping everyone up this week for sure. Making good progress and I LOVE seeing people do their research. Cheers!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 4:17 PM, TKSpartan said:

1- Rubber Gloves:  I prefer the option 1 (Chemical gloves) they're thick and give a better shape to your hand. I recommendo you to use a cotton glove before you put the rubber ones in. 

2- The thick holster is in my opinion better than the 4 oz. one, better look and stay firm.

3- About the helmet fan I think you could use the system that better apply for you. I use two fan system from Henry's Helet fans fronm ebay and have no issues. but someone would prefer to use 3 of then or a Do it your self kit (I'm not good in electronics personally  ).

4- About the Neck seal for me is the same story as the helmet fan, I prefer the ready to go system than thje DIY one. it's about what you prefer and your builder skills for electrical and tailoring

Mario - Thanks for these helpful insights! I think I'm on board with all four of your points—chemical gloves (at least for submission photos), the thicker holster, and a ready-made neck seal. Thanks, too, for mentioning Henry's Helmet Fans; that was new to me.

On 1/8/2020 at 5:59 PM, TheRascalKing said:

Added some thoughts on stuff. Also, your strapping kit is seriously almost done - this round of chemo kicked my a** and set me back more than I expected, but I'm wrapping everyone up this week for sure. Making good progress and I LOVE seeing people do their research. Cheers!

Justin - Thanks for your pointers! I've seen the discussion about whether to always wear the rubber gloves, but I'm starting to lean towards trooping in alternatives such as the Amazon ones you posted, or nomex. I will definitely jump on the heavier 8oz holster, and will look again into ukswrath's cooling systems. I honestly think this will be the only armor build I every do, so interchangeability won't be important to me. Darman neck seal it is then, with the zipper. I believe I have an average neck height, and since his seal is already taller in the back anyway, should I even worry about ordering the taller version? What about the bib style—smaller stunt or larger premium? When I do my shins I'll definitely make sure to plan for the fact that they will be opened and closed repeatedly. I'm also already planning on inner cover strips. Finally, really no worries with the strapping kit. Definitely make sure mine is the last one of the run you finish since I am in no hurry, especially with my armor slated for a late February or early March delivery. I won't need them before then anyway, so take your time and heal up!

Misspelling correction
  • Like 1