Types of elastic for inner strapping

I need some help deciding on what type of elastic to purchase for my inner strapping.  I am going to go with the double snap method over the bracket system for my armour.  I went to my local craft store to buy some elastic to get started, but there were several different types to chose from.  I ended up walking away without buying elastic because I was afraid of purchasing the wrong type of elastic.  This is the description of the options to chose from:-

High Density Elastic - Stiff, strong and durable.  Resists rolling or twisting.  Shrink resistant and machine washable.  For waistbands in skirts, shorts and pants.

Belting Elastic - Strong and durable.  Resists rolling or twisting.  Can be sewn directly onto a garment to create a waistband.

Braided Elastic - Rows of rubber with polyester cover.  Narrows when stretched.  Lightweight and thin.  Use to thread through casing in garments.

Knitted Elastic - Soft and comfortable.  Resists curling.  Retains original width  when stretched.  Shrink resistant.  Used in waistlines for sleepwear and sportswear.

I'm not sure whether to go with strong elastic for durability, or stretchy elastic for moveability?  I'm leaning towards the strong durable elastic.  That should last a long time and prevent the armour weight from stretching out of place.  Any thoughts on this?

I use more industrial type elastic which would be high density or belting types, a little stronger so won't stretch as easily, seems to last a lot longer too. 

I've most.y used braided and had no issues. I'm in the midst of a build now that is using the industrial stuff pretty decent stuff. My next build I will be using nylon webbing mostly.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Whichever type you find works best, be sure to double over the ends before setting the snaps in the elastic to provide strength in that area..  Constant snapping and unsnapping can cause them to pull through the elastic after a lot of use.   Here is a thread that may help:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44617-snap-setting-101/

• Like 1

Just a FYI if you use the thicker elastic and make the holes with a soldering iron you won't have to double over the elastic, the soldering iron melts the sides of the holes so the snaps won't pull though, very strong ;) 

It also pays when double snapping to use a template for the position of the two snaps so they are the same on all the elastic pieces, helps if you make them the wrong size and need to use in a different area ;) 

Just a FYI if you use the thicker elastic and make the holes with a soldering iron you won't have to double over the elastic, the soldering iron melts the sides of the holes so the snaps won't pull though, very strong  

It also pays when double snapping to use a template for the position of the two snaps so they are the same on all the elastic pieces, helps if you make them the wrong size and need to use in a different area  
I use a soldering gun, but still double over.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys.  These are all helpful tips and suggestions.  Will be sure to do the double over method with High Density elastic.  Although I don't own a soldering gun, so could I just cut a hole for the snaps and then carefully use a lighter to stop the hole from fraying?

Thanks for the info guys.  These are all helpful tips and suggestions.  Will be sure to do the double over method with High Density elastic.  Although I don't own a soldering gun, so could I just cut a hole for the snaps and then carefully use a lighter to stop the hole from fraying?
You can pick them up relatively cheap. Not sure what area you're in, but I picked mine up at harbor freight for about $10.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

On another note they are just right for just about every hole you need to make on the armor. The exception being the helmet, those are slightly smaller then the rest.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

On 11/17/2019 at 8:47 PM, Shinyarmour1 said:

If I'm not too late to the party here, I'd like to add a suggestion that has worked well for my snaps on the elastic:  I sandwich a piece of ABS between the elastic and the snap.  I cut the ABS to the same width as the elastic, and make it about 2" long.  I make a hole in the middle of the ABS piece so the snap fits in easily.  It looks like this:

snap-elastic-ABS-elastic-snap

It removes all strain on the elastic at the snap, and makes removing your snaps a breeze.  They simply pop off with the flick of a (rubber gloved) finger!  Super easy and quick.  I've never had to replace a snap in elastic that has been reinforced like this.

• Like 2

If I'm not too late to the party here, I'd like to add a suggestion that has worked well for my snaps on the elastic:  I sandwich a piece of ABS between the elastic and the snap.  I cut the ABS to the same width as the elastic, and make it about 2" long.  I make a hole in the middle of the ABS piece so the snap fits in easily.  It looks like this:

It removes all strain on the elastic at the snap, and makes removing your snaps a breeze.  They simply pop off with the flick of a (rubber gloved) finger!  Super easy and quick.  I've never had to replace a snap in elastic that has been reinforced like this.

Hi Cricket. Caleb here, from the GA Garrison (future recruit). I like the idea of your ABS trick, but I can’t see the image you posted, either here on Tapatalk or the web-view. Perhaps I’ll try on my laptop a little later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:11 PM, Cricket said:

Might have to give this a try on my next build

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 7:43 PM, MaskedVengeance said:

Hi Cricket. Caleb here, from the GA Garrison (future recruit). I like the idea of your ABS trick, but I can’t see the image you posted, either here on Tapatalk or the web-view. Perhaps I’ll try on my laptop a little later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Caleb @MaskedVengeance

Somehow I missed your comment. Sorry!  I didn't post an image, so that's why you couldn't see anything.  :)

Here's a link to how I did it- including pics!

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41502-crickets-wtf-hero-build-even-more-tk-for-the-vertically-challenged/?do=findComment&comment=605846

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

Hey Caleb @MaskedVengeance

Somehow I missed your comment. Sorry!  I didn't post an image, so that's why you couldn't see anything.  :)

No worries, Cricket! That ABS reinforcement trick is awesome; perhaps I'll try to implement it myself. Btw, I had another question for you on a separate thread; when I get a chance I'll navigate back to it and then tag you on my question.