PSA: FISD forum cleanup (pardon our dust)

Harbinger

Just want to let all the members know we are kicking off a forum spring cleaning.

Right now we're starting small and going back and fixing old posts with broken links/images, please feel free to alert us to any you may find.

Soon we will be doing some streamlining of the forums themselves, you may notice some forum sections have slightly different names, do not worry.

All of this is to help make this an easier place to navigate for new and old members alike.

I will update this thread with any major changes such as removal/merging of sections, etcetera. Thanks!

• Like 2

Greetings members,

There are two forums I would like to propose merging into other, more active areas due to relative inactivity. The goal in this is to reduce the overall number of forums to make these forums less intimidating to new members.

1.) Merging Newly Approved Members and New Member Introductions into a single "Member Introductions" forum.

Reasons:

• Newly Approved Members has a mere 1,700 posts, the other has over 77,000.
  • Newly Approved Members serves nearly the same purpose as the other thread; even though in theory one is for new forum members and the other is for new Legion members, having a single Member Introductions thread would accomplish much the same goals.

2.) Merging Hard Armor (General Discussion) and Armor & Prop Making into a single "Armor General Discussion" forum.

Reasons are much the same as above - one forum has very little activity and overlap with an existing forum.

I am unlocking this thread for discussion, unless there is significant objection this will happen before the end of the year. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Harbinger said:

The forum software should do that automatically.

if i have a bookmark to page a, the server redirects to page whatever page a turned into?  even when its external and usually brings up the must log in message?

10 hours ago, sylverbard said:

if i have a bookmark to page a, the server redirects to page whatever page a turned into?  even when its external and usually brings up the must log in message?

Forum threads are identified by a numeric id. Look at the url and you see the number straight after the topic/ part. that is the only thing that matters for referencing a thread and that should not change at all if a thread gets moved.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 1:59 PM, Harbinger said:

Greetings members,

There are two forums I would like to propose merging into other, more active areas due to relative inactivity. The goal in this is to reduce the overall number of forums to make these forums less intimidating to new members.

1.) Merging Newly Approved Members and New Member Introductions into a single "Member Introductions" forum.

Reasons:

• Newly Approved Members has a mere 1,700 posts, the other has over 77,000.
  • Newly Approved Members serves nearly the same purpose as the other thread; even though in theory one is for new forum members and the other is for new Legion members, having a single Member Introductions thread would accomplish much the same goals.

2.) Merging Hard Armor (General Discussion) and Armor & Prop Making into a single "Armor General Discussion" forum.

Reasons are much the same as above - one forum has very little activity and overlap with an existing forum.

I am unlocking this thread for discussion, unless there is significant objection this will happen before the end of the year. Thanks!

One week with no major objections. I will leave this for a few more days and if it continues this way - we will proceed. Thank you everyone.

I'm still thinking on the Hard armour and the Amour & prop making.

I feel it should be two separate threads one for armour the other for as it says, "Props" the two aren't necessarily the same.

My thinking is that the current "Armor and prop making" forum is redundant:

- Armor stuff can live in Hard Armor

- Non-SW props can go in Off Topic

- SW props can go to the appropriate forum (commlinks, etc)

Any prop shop/machine stuff could live in Assembly/mods or Armor.

There are a couple threads where we are discussing these changes, yes. We’ve already started fixing links/images/titles, or archiving things that are too far gone (links to dead sites/images/etc.).

Any major changes (like merging forums) are being kicked out to the member area for input, lest it be unpopular.

• Like 1

• Sly11 unpinned this topic