Stormtrooper impostors

masterx244

It’s one thing to poke fun at those that, with no love for Star Wars, capitalize on the franchise for their own monetary benefit thereby also depriving us of a chance to appear for free and have any proceeds donated to a charity of the organizer’s choosing. 

Yet, while I often refrain from expressing my truly meaningless opinion on topics that do not concern my own conduct or pursuits, I cannot stand to see ridicule pointed at innocent fans who dress up just for the fun of it. Fun is a subjective construct, and as such, it cannot be stated that our accurate and systematic approach to building stormtroopers is the only valid method by which one can represent and enjoy the franchise. 

If the individual derided earlier in this thread whilst attending a premiere is a weirdo, then I too am a “weirdo” and glad to be one.

As Joseph said, I would hate to rob someone of fulfilling their whitearmor passion simply because they observe some insensitive members, who feel the time and money we all have invested into our costumes somehow equate to superiority, hiss and sneer at one’s first attempt at replicating something we all emulate. After all, no matter how much liberty was taken in these costumes, the emulation is close enough that the public will doubtlessly identify it as a stormtrooper (or a Power Ranger) just as they would us. 

I concur with the prior comments that this thread and all like it should be closed. Though I said it might be acceptable to criticize those that open themselves up to as much by commercializing others’ intellectual property to reap monetary reward, it is too difficult to differentiate from a mere picture of an enthusiastic fan. As such, there’s no sense in indiscriminately insulting and laughing at all less-than-accurate attempts.

Happy Holidays Everyone! 

Edited by Erice3339
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 4:07 PM, Erice3339 said:

It’s one thing to poke fun at those that, with no love for Star Wars, capitalize on the franchise for their own monetary benefit thereby also depriving us of a chance to appear for free and have any proceeds donated to a charity of the organizer’s choosing. 

Yet, while I often refrain from expressing my truly meaningless opinion on topics that do not concern my own conduct or pursuits, I cannot stand to see ridicule pointed at innocent fans who dress up just for the fun of it. Fun is a subjective construct, and as such, it cannot be stated that our accurate and systematic approach to building stormtroopers is the only valid method by which one can represent and enjoy the franchise. 

If the individual derided earlier in this thread whilst attending a premiere is a weirdo, then I too am a “weirdo” and glad to be one.

As Joseph said, I would hate to rob someone of fulfilling their whitearmor passion simply because they observe some insensitive members, who feel the time and money we all have invested into our costumes somehow equate to superiority, hiss and sneer at one’s first attempt at replicating something we all emulate. After all, no matter how much liberty was taken in these costumes, the emulation is close enough that the public will doubtlessly identify it as a stormtrooper (or a Power Ranger) just as they would us. 

I concur with the prior comments that this thread and all like it should be closed. Though I said it might be acceptable to criticize those that open themselves up to as much by commercializing others’ intellectual property to reap monetary reward, it is too difficult to differentiate from a mere picture of an enthusiastic fan. As such, there’s no sense in indiscriminately insulting and laughing at all less-than-accurate attempts.

Happy Holidays Everyone! 

I agree. I think we all are that man in the armor. Love and passion has driven us to this point. Let us not laugh at someone who shares our love and passion, as we where in his shoes at one point or another in our lives.

I think this thread should be removed. There is no point in it and it brought me sorrow to read it.

• Like 3