Krisko720’s TLJ FOTK Officer Build

Krisko720

Quality production shots of the shield rear are hard to come by. I’ll ask around and see if I can find anything.

In the meantime I would suggest an armband and handle combo. I saw 850 fo something with PVC piping and it looked good for the handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Here’s a pic of my shield back. I created leather armbands which work ok.

37fadffbd1cb818ad3b9de31ae2e41ce.jpg

If I did I’d again I’d probably have one armband for the inner forearm and then create a handle similar to the one seen in this 850Armorwork pic.

ff535facb6ed8356b49a641e727a66eb.jpg

• Like 1

Here’s a pic of my shield back. I created leather armbands which work ok.

37fadffbd1cb818ad3b9de31ae2e41ce.jpg&key=e8c8897590a8f57fdbc0d301e4d2bbaeae349d949b2e52e7d8a68f569dfb9365

If I did I’d again I’d probably have one armband for the inner forearm and then create a handle similar to the one seen in this 850Armorwork pic.

ff535facb6ed8356b49a641e727a66eb.jpg&key=3faa1fc384baf7a528691d8fc1533bbdcb158a368fb9ef59ecb1abc6d99f8ccc

Yours looks awesome! Very cleanly done. But I’m guessing it’s a little tough to keep under control is why you’d want to change it?

The 850 one looks odd, but very sturdy.

Sent from my iPhone using The Force
  • Like 1

I used strips of ABS and heated them and molded around the forearm and made them slightly larger so I could add some foam to protect the paint.

I'll have to dig out a photo when I'm back home.

• Like 1

Yours looks awesome! Very cleanly done. But I’m guessing it’s a little tough to keep under control is why you’d want to change it?

The 850 one looks odd, but very sturdy.

It fits snugly but, yes, there’s no doubt that a foregrip would help with control.

• Like 1

It fits snugly but, yes, there’s no doubt that a foregrip would help with control.

I like the way yours is done. Maybe that and add a grip. What is your black piece made of and how are the straps attached? I’m guessing it’s not on any of your threads is it?

• Like 1

I like the way yours is done. Maybe that and add a grip. What is your black piece made of and how are the straps attached? I’m guessing it’s not on any of your threads is it?

No, not in the threads. I don’t do those any more.

The black section was part of the Vacform design from BSP. I just painted it up. I then sized the straps whilst wearing the forearms, cut some slits, fed through the leather, and joined with Chicago screws.

• Like 1

Well, I definitely appreciate the help from you guys. You and Mr. Rhodes have been a big help! I never would’ve guessed prop building would be so involved! (And so damn expensive!)

But it has been fun so far. I appreciate the research needed and also the little bit of creativity needed and allowed for the end result.

The one thing I love is the sense of brotherhood and respect everyone has, both on here and the FB pages. Just pure information and honest feedback, with a touch of nerdy fun! It’s refreshing with the state social media is in. Definitely glad I decided to jump on board.

• Like 1

Well, I definitely appreciate the help from you guys. You and Mr. Rhodes have been a big help! I never would’ve guessed prop building would be so involved! (And so damn expensive!)

But it has been fun so far. I appreciate the research needed and also the little bit of creativity needed and allowed for the end result.

The one thing I love is the sense of brotherhood and respect everyone has, both on here and the FB pages. Just pure information and honest feedback, with a touch of nerdy fun! It’s refreshing with the state social media is in. Definitely glad I decided to jump on board.

It’s not always as harmonious as you think but we’re all here to help, wherever you look

• Like 1

Does the KB kit have a TLJ cod in it? I know you said you're going Centurion, and so am I. I've got one of his older kits, so if he's offering the TLJ style cods, I'll hit him up. I ready doubled up on his stuff to make an Executioner, too

Does the KB kit have a TLJ cod in it? I know you said you're going Centurion, and so am I. I've got one of his older kits, so if he's offering the TLJ style cods, I'll hit him up. I ready doubled up on his stuff to make an Executioner, too

I did specify a TLJ armor kit without helmet when I ordered. I’m pretty sure they adjust the kit for which one you order. I’ll post pics of all of the parts in the coming week once I get my BBB.

The main item holding me back on Centurion right now is rubber gaskets. Seems they’re not available.

I’ve ordered a set of gaskets and neck seal from Geeky Pink for now.

• Like 1

Always a pleasure to give back to the community by helping others, people give or take what they will but the majority stick around and share what they know 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Krisko720 said:

I did specify a TLJ armor kit without helmet when I ordered. I’m pretty sure they adjust the kit for which one you order. I’ll post pics of all of the parts in the coming week once I get my BBB.

The main item holding me back on Centurion right now is rubber gaskets. Seems they’re not available.

I’ve ordered a set of gaskets and neck seal from Geeky Pink for now.

Yeah. I'm keeping an eye out for rubber gaskets, too. Lemme know which cod you get. If it's a TLJ, I'll hit KB up for one  

I actually have a set of unused Imperial Gaskets rubber gaskets. They may we’ll be the last on the planet!

They’ve bloomed a little do I’m going to try and clean them up.

Will let you know if I plan to sell.

• Like 1

I’d definitely be interested if you decide to let them go.

In other news, I just got a notification from USPS that my BBB has FINALLY arrived in Denver. I’m guessing I should have it tomorrow or Tuesday!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Krisko720 said:

I’d definitely be interested if you decide to let them go.

In other news, I just got a notification from USPS that my BBB has FINALLY arrived in Denver. I’m guessing I should have it tomorrow or Tuesday!

Hey USPS "Stay on target" :)

• Like 1

So I’ve started to work on these shield pieces.. it seems the PLA strands are all that hold these together. It’s not really a solid object I can sand down to get a smooth finish.

As I’m reading, it seems PLA isn’t the best printing material and it’s hard to get a good smooth surface, especially with severe printing striations. Also the triangle piece is sorta hollow.

I’ve been reading a little on finishing PLA parts and so far it seems XTC-3D is the way to go. Gives the part a sandable later of epoxy to work with. These parts aren’t highly detailed, so this looks like what I need to do.

Can anyone chime in on if I’m heading in the right direction? Are PLA parts really meant to only be a skeleton to work off of?

1e4770f1845ea4ebf42cf8876ecbbb02.jpg&key=4acfb1ad1e395dc13bbb2abffdaf62bbcb19d4cc66315ec26789ac54366f7ceb

• Like 1

No that has been printed without enough wall layers. On smaller items or narrow items they should be printed for strength either solid or with at least 4-5 wall layers thick. From that image it looks like it was printed with only 2 perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No that has been printed without enough wall layers. On smaller items or narrow items they should be printed for strength either solid or with at least 4-5 wall layers thick. From that image it looks like it was printed with only 2 perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The four small pieces on the shield (lights) seem to be solid, but the strands don’t seems to meld together. I’m afraid if I sand it too much the strands will come loose.

This triangle piece is definitely only a few strands thick on the walls. Some of the strands are loose already just by cleaning it up.

I’m going to have to add the epoxy to give these items some strength and give me something to sand and mold the shape.

A little disappointed in what I got because it seems like a lot of extra work for something that should’ve been printed better. But the whole kit was only $75USD and it’s an item that goes with my Hasbro Riot Baton. Both of which are just being used to carry when blasters aren’t allowed. Granted the shield is more accurate in size, my riot baton won’t be approved due to accuracy.

So I wrote 850 Armor Works about his pieces. He says to use filler primer and a light sand..

I went ahead and ordered the epoxy. I feel it needs a little something more than filler primer for strength.

I’ll post pics once I get to work on them.

0341ed12e307b36616b2ad62e495283e.jpg

Not to derail the topic, but I also believe you want to be careful on how you store it or on long troops as I think PLA is heat sensitive. 

I have not done this technique, but here is the link:

https://rigid.ink/blogs/news/how-to-anneal-your-3d-prints-for-strength

• Like 1

Not to derail the topic, but I also believe you want to be careful on how you store it or on long troops as I think PLA is heat sensitive. 

I have not done this technique, but here is the link:
https://rigid.ink/blogs/news/how-to-anneal-your-3d-prints-for-strength

I appreciate it. I’ll take all the tips I can! This is my first experience with 3D parts. Want to make sure I only have to mess with these once.

my riot baton won’t be approved due to accuracy.

Firstly, that is done of the ugliest 3D printing I’ve ever seen. Very disappointing. It can be salvaged with a lot of work but I’d be embarrassed to send that out if I was the vendor.

Secondly, why don’t your baton be approvable? You’re doing TLJ, right? The BS Riot Baton is the TLJ version. You should be fine.

• Like 1

I thought the Hasbro toy version was not CRL

There was a post on another thread that compared the Hasbro version to a more screen accurate 3D printed one.

I don’t have the photo saved anymore but the Hasbro version doesn’t have the bands on the extendable part.

• Like 1

I thought the Hasbro toy version was not CRL

There was a post on another thread that compared the Hasbro version to a more screen accurate 3D printed one.

I don’t have the photo saved anymore but the Hasbro version doesn’t have the bands on the extendable part.

That is correct for TFA but the marketing fit the Hasbro is clear that it is a TLJ model, as we see used by Finn.

• Like 1