TK UK armor any good?

Jester 509

Tk uk is awful...and most importantly, very inaccurate and a ton of work to make acceptable for the 591 st . 

Think of it as a Halloween costume, not a trooping option .

• Like 1

As others have said, a few issues with the kits, you get what you pay for in the end. Getting Started section is full of information on vetted sellers. 

Good luck

• Like 1

Unless you’re looking for something to melt down to create ABS paste, I’d stay well away.... ;-)

Seriously though, the quality of the moulds is poor.
The plastic has a blue tint which looks nasty against higher quality kits.
3 piece helmet is hard work, plus the faceplate isn’t very well moulded.

Check the vetted sellers list as suggested above and you’ll end up with a much better suit of armour to treasure. :-)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Politely put, there are several far better options to choose from emoji846.png

This is my take.  People have made it work but the work required is extensive and it will never be as good as something that was better in the first place.

Take a look at the getting started posts and you will find a number of suppliers that are known to be reliable.  There are many others not on that list. that doesn't mean they are out to get you or have bad product just they've not been through the vetting.  If you find someone else please do ask here first or have a search for them on the forum before spending any money.  Also stay away from eBay.

• Like 1

I respect the opinions presented here but I will offer an alternative view.

What is your budget? Paying more for something better is good advice if you can afford it, but if you can’t then this kit is a viable budget option.

What is your skill level? Even higher price/quality kits will be challenging builds, this one more so due to some of its shortcomings. If you are confident in your abilities, this kit is a viable budget option but it will require more work. That’s the trade off... cheaper kit, more work.

Some comments about this stunt kit compared to an Anovos, the only other kit I’ve seen...

Seller... helpful and supportive. If something is missing, you get replacements. If you mess up a part, he often ships another at no cost.

Instructions... None. Wild, Wild West although there is a support page on FB with people who will help.

Material... very tough 2mm ABS. Anovos feels lighter and softer. I personally like this material better.

Color... cool white vs. Anovos warm white. Personally, I prefer the cool white as I think it looks more like what my eyes see on-screen vs. the creamy off-white of Anovos. But there are a lot more warm white kits out there and you’ll look a tad different unless you paint it.

Helmet... 3 piece vs. 2 piece (or pre-assembled). You’ll need to fill the gap and sand it smooth. Not difficult but definitely time consuming to get right. Overall, I think the helmet looks quite good when assembled correctly. It’s asymmetrical and a bit wonky like the originals.

Limbs... solid but there is a lot of excess material and this causes the assembled shapes to be oval vs. round. Be prepared to heat shape these parts to get a good fit.

Ab Plate... buttons are cast in vs. separate glued on plates. Clean look but technically not accurate.

Belt... supplied canvas is okay, not great, but connection system to ABS is not accurate and poorly designed. You’ll need to make some modifications here just to get the ABS reliably connected to canvas.

Back Plate... personally, looks a tad undersized to me.

Kidney Plate... HUGE. Requires significant modification if you don’t need the extra material.

Posterior... HUGE. Without question the worst part of the kit if you don’t need the extra material. Getting this to resemble an accurate piece is very, very difficult.

Hope this information helps with your decision.

Bottom line, if you can afford a more accurate kit, that’s probably a good route. But if your reality is a cheaper kit or nothing, then this is an option if your skills are up to the task.

Good luck and I hope to see you in the TK ranks soon.

1 hour ago, bishopdonmiguel said:

What is your budget? Paying more for something better is good advice if you can afford it, but if you can’t then this kit is a viable budget option.

I'm just going to throw it out there that you can get 1 good kit from the vetted list for about the same money as the 2 for 1 deal from TKUK. Yes its 1 not 2 kits if you're sharing with a friend.

Also the reality is that difference isn't as big as you think once you factor in the cost of the under suit, boots, gloves, belt, blaster, paint. tools and other build supplies etc.

Yes it's the cheapest, but I have bought enough of "the cheapest" in my time to know that unless you know why you're going for the cheapest it's usually a mistake.

• Like 1

Wow thanks for all the great replies! Still very new to the whole TK building. Ever since I was little I wanted a trooper suit. Always was eyeing the Rubio's supreme as the "holy Grail". Boy was I wrong. 

After reading and looking around here I'm pretty sure an AP kit is the way to go for me. I've never done any cosplay building so it will be a venture for sure. The real trick is talking my wife into the process. Any advice? Lol

Edited by Jester 509
  • Like 1

Wow thanks for all the great replies! Still very new to the whole TK building. Ever since I was little I wanted a trooper suit. Always was eyeing the Rubio's supreme as the "holy Grail". Boy was I wrong. 
   After reading and looking around here I'm pretty sure an AP kit is the way to go for me. I've never done any cosplay building so it will be a venture for sure. The real trick is talking my wife into the process. Any advice? Lol

We can help with the putting together. The rest is up to you! Lol
Seriously though, I made sure we had the money and the use of it wouldn’t totally screw our finances. I estimated $2k for the project and came out under that even with a few mess ups. But I knew if I used all of it I’d still be getting groceries for my family. Then I went on to the fact that it’s a charity thing with the added benefit of a cool Halloween costume (can’t overlook the obvious). She was all for the TK and the TB took some talking into, I’m gonna hold off on a third costume for now. Trooping has been great for my kids, my oldest two both girls 12&10 have costumes themselves and come with me when they can. My son who is 8 wants to, but he’s not quite there yet in terms of maturity. My wife has no desire to do any of this but will come and see me with my son when she can. Just be honest with her and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk