LEGOeatPokemon's SDS Hero build

LEGOeatPokemon

Hey Jonas.

Awesome work so far!!

Sorry I've been silent. Dealing with a few family medical issues.

Everything is looking great on your armor.

I would recommend you remove as much of the sniper knee return edge as you need. It will make it easier to bend and conform to the calf.

Don't cut into the bumps though.

The thigh ammo belt is fairly easy to trim. I think there are final measurements on my build if you want to use it for a reference. Check 1/2 way down page 4.

I trimmed the excess plastic just around the bottom of the flat edge. Just where it starts curving down toward your table, if that makes sense. Try and be as straight as possibly along those long edges. You will then have minimal clean up and sanding.

BTW :  I did finally ship off your package last week. Not sure when it will get to you :)

Keep up the great work.

• Like 1

Hello, Dave!

Thank you for your help and the kind words!

There is no problem waiting, it will come when it comes, you take care of yourself and your family first and foremost. :)

Thanks again! :salute:

Sorry for not being so active lately, I have been sick and haven't been able to work.

Anyway, today I trimmed the new thigh ammo pack from ATA, should I put it in some hot water as it's a little hard and I don't want it to break?

B0NQxPG.jpg

And I also trimmed the sniper plate a bit

Before:

IMZNuAX.jpg

iz4E6Pu.jpg

After:

HutdtMU.jpg

cYWdybt.jpg

I also trimmed away the return edge under it, forgot to take picture.

Now a question, should I fix the overlap issue and change the legs to coverstrip before or after putting on the ammo pack and sniper plate?

12 minutes ago, LEGOeatPokemon said:

Now a question, should I fix the overlap issue and change the legs to coverstrip before or after putting on the ammo pack and sniper plate?

Definitely before.  Nice job on the ammo pack and sniper knee trimming! :duim:  Unless you are getting a crease in between the boxes when you bend it, the thigh ammo pack shouldn't need a hot water bath, as once secured it doesn't get moved or flex.  As I mentioned in my post from Nov. 20th, check the length on the sides to make sure it's an equal distance from the rear ridge corners.  You can trim down the width if needed to achieve this.  Post up some pics of you are not sure!

• Like 1

Thighs hopefully done with covering strips

Left: It's not a problem, I hope, that the strip will be a bit to the right? :/

5f4WMor.jpg

Right:

64uYO3z.jpg

Both glueing:

EU1mNuM.jpg

Can you trim a bit at the back return edge so you can bend your leg a little better?

Hopefully I have done all this correctly and wont need to redo.

I know it's a bit different with the shins backside, so you can fasten with velcro etc. How should I do that?

By the way, my deadline for completing this armor is the 18th, in time for Ep9 :lightemperor:, I had forgot to mention that earlier.

If I can't do it by then, oh well... -_-

Edited by LEGOeatPokemon
  • Like 1

Great work. The rear also gets a cover strip and is glued same as the front, you can add an inner cover strip too for added strength, most don't, although it is a good idea inside the shins as they are continually open and closed .

I would do a trial fit before trimming out any extra room in the backs of the legs, sometimes you can have too much room, but if you have way too much material and are 100% sure you can trim then here are some references

vlcsna18.jpg

vlcsna14.jpg

• Like 2

As long as you don't go past the top ridge line (see arrow) with the mobility cuts you will good for Level 3.  Same goes for the top of the calf.

WFfSMT8.jpg

• Like 2

Here is how the thighs came out:

Left back:

TIlHHdq.jpg

Left front:

iwv8PIE.jpg

Right back:

3x8V0Kd.jpg

Right front:

am64baa.jpg

And I finally made some ABS paste!

fKcvrn6.jpg

Also on the sniper plate:

ijEUjSp.jpg

7T4ZQ2Z.jpg

Good thing the front of the legs already were coverstripped insted of overlapped.:)

• Like 3

Great work!

SOmetimes it’s good to take a break (too bad you were sick though). It helps you to refocus.

If you are afraid of the ammo belt tracking, then a hot bath for it would be okay. I don’t think I did mine.

Good work on filling the holes with ABS paste. I used a larger file to sand mine down, then switched to sand paper for the final finish work and polishing.

Your left front cover strip looks too long. Did you trim it back eventually?

• Like 1

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest adding interior cover strips inside the front calf connections.  The reason being is because those particular connections gets a LOT of stress from opening/closing the backs when suiting up.  They don't have to be pretty, lol, as no one sees them anyway and it takes some of the stress off the front cover strips.

5D8KCO0.jpg?1

• Like 3

Thank you Dave for remembering the other legs caoverstrip, I had forgotten about that! :salute:

Done!

Bg5d1cw.jpg

Here is how the rest came out after sanding a bit:

G8gHLGe.jpg

TQOInQ4.jpg

JKIH3iY.jpg

It doesn't show very well but they are still a LITTLE rough, don't think it will be a problem though. :)

I also glued on some inner covering strips (Thanks, Joseph!):

Z0wRTU3.jpg

H5IrQiG.jpg

Now, I know that the thigh ammo pack should be mounted with rivets, and that they need to be painted.

How many of the rivets and screws should be painted for the whole armor, I thought of painting them all in one go.

(PS I also have MrNoStripes bracket set too)

The only one not painted is the one on the cod.  The rest (ab/kidney- thigh ammo pack) are white.  Hint:  Be sure to scuff up the heads of the rivets with sandpaper and then clean them before painting.  This will give the paint a better surface to adhere to.

• Like 1

So here is the left leg sanded:

U96Fy53.jpg

Looks fine, I guess?

Also began glueing the coverstrip on the rears of the shins now that the inner strips are done:

nPjUsvk.jpg

rkTHv92.jpg

They are however a little hard to bend, something I should be thinking about?

And I scuffed up some rivets too! Soon time for paint!

0nkBRsd.jpg

But not today, I had a long day at school.:glare:

At least the legs are soon done!:laugh1:

3 hours ago, ABS80 said:

Front joining strips too wide max 2cm (20mm)

2 hours ago, troopermaster said:

You're good up to 25mm on the strips - front and rear.

So adressing these issues, I have glued on 25 mm wide coverstrips back but there was already 25 mm at the front. Those at the front were already glued on (or more like plastered on), as it was already assembled when I got the armour.

Is it ok or not with those at the front, I'm a bit confused?:huh:

18 minutes ago, LEGOeatPokemon said:

So adressing these issues, I have glued on 25 mm wide coverstrips back but there was already 25 mm at the front. Those at the front were already glued on (or more like plastered on), as it was already assembled when I got the armour.

Is it ok or not with those at the front, I'm a bit confused?:huh:

Generally we try to match the fronts to same size which is normally 20mm thighs and shins but as you can see from the screen reference posted by Paul 25mm is fine at the front (also the back) just don't add rivets ;) 

• Like 1

Ok so I won't be posting any updates through the weekend as I am going to a convention in Stockholm. The nordic garrison should be there so maybe I can ask some questions!:)

Anyway last thing done before leaving tomorrow:

Handpainted the rivets (only 8) and all the screws for the bracket system! 44 all in all!

bXuE4P4.jpg

ls6Yk3q.jpg

Well hopefully it will go well in the capital, so wish me luck! :salute:

• Like 1