LEGOeatPokemon's SDS Hero build

LEGOeatPokemon

On 11/3/2019 at 8:46 AM, LEGOeatPokemon said:

Baby steps...

wY0RjZK.jpg

Planning of making the wrap to covering strips, won't work with the belt until the cloth belt has arrived.

So now the next thing I guess is pulling off the poppers that exists on nearly all pieces

ADklPfZ.jpg

Hi Jonas, for Centurion level the Crl states:

The plastic shoulder straps need to be held down in the back via a white elastic band to the white fabric that connects/bridges the chest and back piece.

I think you may need to add the popper to a white elastic band to connect the bridges.\

cheers

ZW9sS4GnAGX76s5AQP5RMUmwogZem8-fUGOxyp9C MiTeCMtqR2_olGZIK2IsvQcI858R8f_-Q2WWPeeD

• Like 1

Baby steps are looking good :)

My elastic straps are simply tied in a loop, and are free to slide front to back. They aren't attached to the armor in any way.

I did this so that when I was dressing, I could slide the elastic strap towards my back, push down on the shoulder strip, then  slide the elastic over the shoulder and settle it into one of the grooves.

I was afraid that if the elastic was attached I would have to bend the shoulder bit underneath and risk the chance of the strap snapping.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Helotech said:

Baby steps are looking good :)

My elastic straps are simply tied in a loop, and are free to slide front to back. They aren't attached to the armor in any way.

I did this so that when I was dressing, I could slide the elastic strap towards my back, push down on the shoulder strip, then  slide the elastic over the shoulder and settle it into one of the grooves.

I was afraid that if the elastic was attached I would have to bend the shoulder bit underneath and risk the chance of the strap snapping.

That's a good way of doing it Dave!:duim:

Update, the remainder of my packages should be here soon, trouble at the post offices i believe.

Will hopefully start cutting and sizing by the weekend.

9 minutes ago, LEGOeatPokemon said:

That's a good way of doing it Dave!:duim:

Update, the remainder of my packages should be here soon, trouble at the post offices i believe.

Will hopefully start cutting and sizing by the weekend.

Probably some rebels at work throwing hydrowrenches into the system...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Helotech said:

oh Yes You're rigth @Helotech, that's the way I do use the elastic around the bridges, what I mean is the connection between the chest and back armor pieces , sorry for my poor english writing. :huh:

QbZrwFRwYlFA9wtP7Z7z3K-sBmeVMwGYCDwBLwAX

cheers

This is the way I have found that works really well:

I am using your discarded ABS belt as an example-

1.  After measuring the width you need, use a metal ruler or straight edge and clamp it down next to your cut line (2 clamps suggested).

2.  CAREFULLY using a razor knife, slowly and steadily score along the cut line as deep as it will go.  2 or 3 passes should do it

NOTE:  you do NOT have to cut all the way through!  Once it is fairly deep you can just bend and snap it off.

Depending on the length you need, you may have to move the ruler down and re-clamp.

xX3q7GW.jpg

IMPORTANT!  Don't make all of your lines on the ABS at one time before cutting.  Cover strips have different widths for different areas, so measure one at a time.

Measure each one to the length you need, sand down the sides and you are done.  Hope this helps!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

This is the way I have found that works really well:

I am using your discarded ABS belt as an example-

1.  After measuring the width you need, use a metal ruler or straight edge and clamp it down next to your cut line (2 clamps suggested).

2.  CAREFULLY using a razor knife, slowly and steadily score along the cut line as deep as it will go.  2 or 3 passes should do it

NOTE:  you do NOT have to cut all the way through!  Once it is fairly deep you can just bend and snap it off.

Depending on the length you need, you may have to move the ruler down and re-clamp.

xX3q7GW.jpg

IMPORTANT!  Don't make all of your lines on the ABS at one time before cutting.  Cover strips have different widths for different areas, so measure one at a time.

Measure each one to the length you need, sand down the sides and you are done.  Hope this helps!

Thank you, I will take this in consideration!

:salute:

Exactly how I did it Joseph. 

Make sure you follow the old carpenter adage: Measure twice, cut once.

Instead of using a knife, I actually used a plastic scribing tool. Google “plexiglass glass scribe tool” and you will see what looks like a knife with a hooked blade. You can find these in hardware stores and they are used to scribe and snap clear acrylic sheets. I found that the knives have a tendency to wander off the ruler. The scribe tools are easy to use. 

Start with a light pass, then a couple heavier ones, and then you snap.

Jonas, make sure you glue the proper side down. The ABS has a very shiny “outside” and a duller inside.

Once I cut the ABS, I just ran a sanding sponge up and down the snapped edge. This cleaned things up really well.

You may want to take a file or some sand paper and sand all the corners to a 45 degree angle. I’m not sure if this is required by the CRL, but it makes it look good.

• Like 1

I know Ive said it a couple times, but I’m still packing up the stuff to send to you. Life and such, as it goes...

I’ll check your posts and our PM’s again to see what else you need.

• Like 1

Dave, you have been a very good support and you shouldn't rush with the package, take the time you need. Just offering the info on what you did to your armor is enough as it is. That you offer to send parts is going above and beyond! :salute: I am truly grateful! :)

12 hours ago, Helotech said:

You may want to take a file or some sand paper and sand all the corners to a 45 degree angle. I’m not sure if this is required by the CRL, but it makes it look good.

Good call, Dave!  Although not required for basic or higher levels, this is always a good idea as this helps prevent the sharp corners from snagging on your under-suit and makes for a better look.  It is also screen accurate, as seen in the photos below.

uPtLfzb.jpg?1  C7cMJ1w.jpg?1  rqoXyOu.jpg?1

• Like 1

Looks like you are well tooled. I am a bit lazy so I have 3 Dremel's (well cheaper versions) all with different tips, cutting, drum sander and drill/burr tool, it slows me down having to swap them out.

Good luck with the progress.

• Like 2

First day of cutting! :shok:

Left forearm is pretty done I think?

Well... except the ruturn edge at the wrist.

Jx7OrYT.jpg

KIkHEpC.jpg

pJz1uB6.jpg

RXNUEOW.jpg

It's 15 mm between the marked return edges.

How does it look? Acceptable?

By the way, this is my workstation:

sUQ7CMo.jpg

A bit cramped, but it is sufficient.

Looking good.

I used 16mm arms

Legs 20mm

Rear of shins 25mm

Here are is one of the threads in pre approval noting some of the things needed to be upgraded for SDS, just as a reference ;) 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/47281-jayse01-requesting-pre-approval-review/

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking good.

I used 16mm arms

Legs 20mm

Rear of shins 25mm

Here are is one of the threads in pre approval noting some of the things needed to be upgraded for SDS, just as a reference ;) 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/47281-jayse01-requesting-pre-approval-review/

Thank you! Will hopefully continue tomorrow :)

• Like 1

Nice job, Jonas!  Before gluing on the cover strips, I would suggest that you trim/sand down the parts that are sticking out (red lines).  You can then cut the cover strips at angles and bring up all the way to the top.  Be sure to sand down the tops of the cover strip corners to round them off a bit as well.  Keep those photos coming!

sU4h4wW.jpg?1  1aLJnYX.jpg  AFd8DNf.jpg?1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

Nice job, Jonas!  Before gluing on the cover strips, I would suggest that you trim/sand down the parts that are sticking out (red lines).  You can then cut the cover strips at angles and bring up all the way to the top.  Be sure to sand down the tops of the cover strip corners to round them off a bit as well.  Keep those photos coming!

sU4h4wW.jpg?1  1aLJnYX.jpg  AFd8DNf.jpg?1

I was wondering about that, thank you! :duim:

My pleasure, sir!  I'm now following this thread, and it's great to see someone taking the time to do these changes for sure.  I am jumping the gun a bit, but be sure to keep some of the scrap ABS.  The reason being is that you will need it to make some ABS paste (easy to do) to fill the holes in the sniper knee plate and maybe another area.  That part will also need some trimming, so be sure to post up pics during the whole process.  You can do this, and we will help!

2GhvGyI.jpg

16 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

My pleasure, sir!  I'm now following this thread, and it's great to see someone taking the time to do these changes for sure.  I am jumping the gun a bit, but be sure to keep some of the scrap ABS.  The reason being is that you will need it to make some ABS paste (easy to do) to fill the holes in the sniper knee plate and maybe another area.  That part will also need some trimming, so be sure to post up pics during the whole process.  You can do this, and we will help!

2GhvGyI.jpg

Sir, yes Sir! :salute::smiley-sw013:

Looking great so far! 

As long as you can wiggle your hand through the forearm, you are good.

If you can’t do it with the gloves then don’t worry. I put my forearm arm through, then put on my gloves and tuck them in.

Good work on the armour clean up and snap removal.

Youre doing great.

• Like 1

Today I trimmed the edges of the forearm as by Josephs advice. Came out pretty nice I think.

frNsiQk.jpg

aZwcqY4.jpg

Then I took away the pesky returning edge by the wrists

rT7RPVG.jpg

I think the left forearm is finally finished cutting!

I have started with the other arm, that overlap is a PAIN to take off.

(Thanks, by the way Dave with giving me instructions.:jc_doublethumbup:)

CTOgKM5.jpg

That will have to do it today, I have a free day tomorrow so I will hopefully make some more progress! :)

• Like 2