Ever heard of this vendor

FLUFFYFLAREON

Stay off Ebay, lots of great info in the Getting Started section in regards to armor, research is the key to this hobby ;) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FLUFFYFLAREON said:

Well it was really a facebook vendor. But couldn't find the topic of that... 

Best advice is to go with a vetted seller https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

Even look in the build sections, you'll find armor maker names in the headings of most builds, I've personally not seen any builds from "Dave's Darkside Depot" before

I've never heard of that vendor.  They might be up and coming but the fact it's unheard of is generally not a good sign.  If you can link to it they we can have a look but your best bet really is to stick to the vetted sellers.

10 hours ago, FLUFFYFLAREON said:

I found a vendor called Dave's darkside depot and was wondering if anyone has ever bought any of his product. 

They sell AM armor so the product is legit. You can look up information about AM armor using the link Q provided:salute:

• Like 2

I know Dave very well and he is a good friend of mine. I was the first one he met at a 501st event and I got him hooked. I helped Dave build his first set or armor, and then he blew right be me and kept going. I now go to him for help with my armor builds.

He is not one of those EBAY sellers, and is on Facebook. He sells the AM armor, packs, does commissioned builds (I have seen him at work at his house) and other items. You cannot go wrong working with him.

• Like 1

Dave's Darkside Depot is who I am using so I can vouch for them. If you do a search for AM armor you will see lots of 501st members swear by it. He recently took over sales I believe but AM armor has been around and is reputable. Right now I think its the AM 4.5 armor being offered so it has been getting better and better. I received my helmet kit very promptly and they are currently customizing my body armor for the height. AM armor is also a good option for taller or larger individuals because I believe lots of kits out there limit you on having to be in a certain height range. The shipping times have been fast, and one of my favorite things about this process has been that Dave himself allows you to text him questions and he is usually very quick to respond and give advice/help on your build.

Also, the AM armor is thicker and more robust than lots of kits out there that are thin and crack easily.

So in summary, I would have no qualms going with Dave's Darkside Depot. He is a member of the 501st and knows his stuff.

Here's a photo of my AM armor helmet which he and some youtube videos assisted me with. I am still finishing it up but its coming along. Thats another thing, Eric Dyck on youtube has a collection of videos helping with assembly and his videos are putting together the AM armor which is what Dave's Darkside Depot is selling.

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

• Like 1

I just did a search on the vetted vendors list. Dave is already on there so he has already been vetted. https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

This is his section noted below:

Type: AM (Armor Master)

Kit: ABS.  All body armor components including face piece and ear pieces are .090 ABS. The one piece dome/back is formed using .125 ABS, as this piece is formed over a rather deep mold and anything thinner can cause thin regions which will eventually crack or fracture.  White .060 ABS blanks included to cut as cover-strips.

Availability:   Normally 4-6 weeks or less. 

Assembly: Comes trimmed out of the box, but you will still be required to adjust for proper fit to your body size.  Good choice for large troopers, but can be cut down

Comments:   Chest and back molds have been updated to address past concerns, and are now acceptable to Centurion level.  They are now including a custom, die-cut Imperial cog themed helmet liner for the helmets, mounting velcro included. They're very comfortable and take three minutes to install.   Hovis are professionally cast aluminum.  Hero helmets are now available.

• Like 2

I also went with Dave Conklin with Dave’s Darkside Depot for my AM armor kit and a heavy weapon trooper backpack.  The kit  arrived last week and looks amazing and pack is a few weeks out. 

The former CO of my local garrison saw the kit was very impressed with the thickness and quality.  On top of this armor is pre-trimmed and ready for assembly and fitting.

I wouldn’t hesitate in going through Dave.  He has been very helpful and patient with all of my new guy questions that he must have heard a thousand times over.  I highly recommend him.

Eric Dyck on you tube reviews an AM helmet and compares it to other makes.  It is worth tracking down.

Edited by Whiskey_Tango

7 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

I've never heard of that vendor.  They might be up and coming but the fact it's unheard of is generally not a good sign.  If you can link to it they we can have a look but your best bet really is to stick to the vetted sellers.

Dave’s Darkside Depot is  the vetted AM seller.

Ok everyone. I can confirm that Dave is a stand up guy and is the new vendor for AM armor. The getting started thread was updated a while back. He is the game in town and no one should have any worries. 

Dave is a former Empire City Garrison member and one of the best. He is currently now in the Florida Garrison and took over the AM sales. He’s top notch and vetted. 

• Like 2

AM is great armor. I've been recommending them for years and they've always delivered great product and service. 

Dave is a friend and former garrison mate of mine. I couldn't think of a better trooper to take the reigns of the AM line. 

That being said, I highly recommend Dave's Darkside Depot. You'll be very happy

• Like 2

On 10/2/2019 at 9:32 AM, lightwave000 said:

Dave's Darkside Depot is who I am using so I can vouch for them. If you do a search for AM armor you will see lots of 501st members swear by it. He recently took over sales I believe but AM armor has been around and is reputable. Right now I think its the AM 4.5 armor being offered so it has been getting better and better. I received my helmet kit very promptly and they are currently customizing my body armor for the height. AM armor is also a good option for taller or larger individuals because I believe lots of kits out there limit you on having to be in a certain height range. The shipping times have been fast, and one of my favorite things about this process has been that Dave himself allows you to text him questions and he is usually very quick to respond and give advice/help on your build.

Also, the AM armor is thicker and more robust than lots of kits out there that are thin and crack easily.

So in summary, I would have no qualms going with Dave's Darkside Depot. He is a member of the 501st and knows his stuff.

Here's a photo of my AM armor helmet which he and some youtube videos assisted me with. I am still finishing it up but its coming along. Thats another thing, Eric Dyck on youtube has a collection of videos helping with assembly and his videos are putting together the AM armor which is what Dave's Darkside Depot is selling.

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

I love the inside of your helmet. That's what I am wanting to do with mine. Black it out and add that extra padding. 

• Like 1

+1 more. As others have said, Dave has taken over selling AM Armor. AM has a long history and is extremely high quality - few other makers have as sharp of details or similar bright white, thick ABS. Their tooling is impressive and you get a ton in the box for your money (ie, ANH and ESB harndguards, TK and TD sniper knees, etc.). I have built several and they are one of my main recommended makers, especially for bigger guys. The kit even comes rough trimmed out of the box. Absolutely a quality vendor, just a newer face taking the reins. Buy with confidence.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Dave Conklin of Dave’s Darkside Depot recently completed my AM stunt TK. Not only did he do an absolutely amazing job, he did it with pride and passion. He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I am a newly approved 501st member here in the Empire City Garrison in NY. Sad part is Dave moved to Tampa. Sad for me anyway. 

Dave does incredible work. Trust me, you will love the finished product. 

• Like 1

Good to see someone has taken up the mantel for AM armour and based on what I have read in the above comments, the right person for the job too.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Dave Conklin is a personal friend of mine. He has built many AM kits for the Empire City Garrison! I have an AM 2.0 and recently just purchased AM 4.5. He completely helped me build the 2.0, with Centurion accuracy, and even years later is still sending me little scraps and rivets for my newest build. 

The AM 4.5 comes pre-trimmed. Green lens, helmet decals, extra ABS. 

The only thing you will need to purchase are Boots, gloves, soft part of belt, and neck seal. 

Also, the needed tools for build and extra accessories (such as Testors paint or Split rivets). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is great to know, as I was most likely going to go with AM on a future armor purchase, when the time is right for me. Looking forward to owning a set of good quality armor.