Paint application and finish of a helmet

Zekk varran

Hi all,first time posting.i have an old TK bucket that couldn’t be saved and i decided to paint it black to make a shadow trooper.my question is should i use base coat clear coat or rustoleum type gloss black rattle can spray paint.and also..what is the best long lasting method to bond paint to a helmet.thank you.

I have had issues with rustoleum paint in the past, either from being old stock or just nozzle blocking so I prefer using automotive acrylic paint, it dries a lot quicker between coats and can be sanded and polished unlike enamel paints.

Prep you should wash with soapy water and also give a light sand with some wet/dry sandpaper (@400 grit), you can use the soap water as it will help the paper from becoming clogged and will last a little longer. I would still use a primer first as this will show any defects before applying top coat. Really depends on the finish you want if you want a really deep shine then I'd apply clear coat as well.