David G

David G AM 4.5 ANH Stunt Build Thread

1 hour ago, David G said:
  • Is there a return edge on the elbow side at all (BLUE)? Also, is the extended part (PURPLE) of the outer half (the part with the molded detail) left intact or is that also removed at the wrist and elbow side?
  • The piece that has no detail is the inner half. Are the two halves supposed to be cut to equal size, necessitating trimming both pieces, or is the featureless (inner) half the only piece that gets trimmed? Easy's build seems to show this method, while AJ's shows both parts getting cut as does Frank's markup of my earlier photo. One cut has been made from the inner part (GREEN, taped side) and the second cut proposed cut (YELLOW) as per Easy's build thread or do I cut the outer part (RED) to maintain all curves?
  • Regarding the length, it seems to fit okay lengthwise, but if I have to shorten the piece at either end, then my other questions about edge trimming become irrelevant, yes?

Hi,

1- Is there a return edge on the elbow side at all (BLUE)? You can leave the return edge or trim a little if you need more room .

for the CRl, only the wrist has no return edge.

2- Are the two halves supposed to be cut to equal size/ Yes , It's for maintain the forearms symmetry. 

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi David,

Here’s some good reference photos for the elbow end.

97bd1bc58b94558b957082ea9ba1e2b6.jpg

8fb9f102c24420950f22228d7dfa95ab.jpg

:-)

• Like 3

I find the return edge uncomfortable so since the elbow is totally up to you do what you think is comfortable. Not sure if we hit on this before but some people like the retune edge because it helps give an illusion of thickness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Especially for those of us with skinny arms and legs, if you can fill the armor then do away with the return edges ;) 

• Like 1

Okay so I got up the nerve to start making cuts. First picture shows the two halves at the elbow end with the symmetrical cuts so each half is roughly equal in size. It also shows the return of 1/8" - 3/16" that I haven't sanded yet. Second picture shows the trace where the two halves are not the same length; if I want to maintain the return at the elbow, then I need to align those ends and trim at the wrist, which has no return. I propose trimming in an arc to even the ends after assembling the halves. Thoughts?

PS -- Am I supposed to use links to post photos? I have found that when this is done in other threads and the links expire, the pics are disintegrated.

Left Forearm Trimmed Elbow.jpg

Left Forearm Trimmed Inside.jpg

First off with posting pics some people use a third party like imgur or tapatalk. I’m sure there are a few more but you get the idea.

As for the armor maybe it’s me but I’m confused where you want to trim the arc. At the wrist or elbow? I’ve seen it done at the elbow and I’ve also seen some people leave it uneven. I’m fairly sure if you look you can find examples of both within the original movie.

• Like 1

First off with posting pics some people use a third party like imgur or tapatalk. I’m sure there are a few more but you get the idea.

As for the armor maybe it’s me but I’m confused where you want to trim the arc. At the wrist or elbow? I’ve seen it done at the elbow and I’ve also seen some people leave it uneven. I’m fairly sure if you look you can find examples of both within the original movie.

I’m thinking of trimming at the wrist to make a curved line that make the two halves join cleanly at the wrist.

21 minutes ago, David G said:

if I want to maintain the return at the elbow, then I need to align those ends and trim at the wrist, which has no return. I propose trimming in an arc to even the ends after assembling the halves. Thoughts?

Yes, to maintain the return edge at the elbow, Trim the wrist. I would recommend not trim till you have tested the complete arm asembled. this would prevent the forearms to be short and give you a bad look as if you were waering a small shirt.  :D

Cheers

• Like 1

Yes, to maintain the return edge at the elbow, Trim the wrist. I would recommend not trim till you have tested the complete arm asembled. this would prevent the forearms to be short and give you a bad look as if you were waering a small shirt.  

Cheers

That’s what I was thinking also. Thanks!