David G AM 4.5 ANH Stunt Build Thread

Iron TK

1 hour ago, David G said:
  • Is there a return edge on the elbow side at all (BLUE)? Also, is the extended part (PURPLE) of the outer half (the part with the molded detail) left intact or is that also removed at the wrist and elbow side?
  • The piece that has no detail is the inner half. Are the two halves supposed to be cut to equal size, necessitating trimming both pieces, or is the featureless (inner) half the only piece that gets trimmed? Easy's build seems to show this method, while AJ's shows both parts getting cut as does Frank's markup of my earlier photo. One cut has been made from the inner part (GREEN, taped side) and the second cut proposed cut (YELLOW) as per Easy's build thread or do I cut the outer part (RED) to maintain all curves?
  • Regarding the length, it seems to fit okay lengthwise, but if I have to shorten the piece at either end, then my other questions about edge trimming become irrelevant, yes?

Hi,

1- Is there a return edge on the elbow side at all (BLUE)? You can leave the return edge or trim a little if you need more room .

for the CRl, only the wrist has no return edge.

2- Are the two halves supposed to be cut to equal size/ Yes , It's for maintain the forearms symmetry. 

Cheers

• Like 1

I find the return edge uncomfortable so since the elbow is totally up to you do what you think is comfortable. Not sure if we hit on this before but some people like the retune edge because it helps give an illusion of thickness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Especially for those of us with skinny arms and legs, if you can fill the armor then do away with the return edges ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I got up the nerve to start making cuts. First picture shows the two halves at the elbow end with the symmetrical cuts so each half is roughly equal in size. It also shows the return of 1/8" - 3/16" that I haven't sanded yet. Second picture shows the trace where the two halves are not the same length; if I want to maintain the return at the elbow, then I need to align those ends and trim at the wrist, which has no return. I propose trimming in an arc to even the ends after assembling the halves. Thoughts?

PS -- Am I supposed to use links to post photos? I have found that when this is done in other threads and the links expire, the pics are disintegrated.

EDIT -- Deleted attached pictures.

Edited by David G

First off with posting pics some people use a third party like imgur or tapatalk. I’m sure there are a few more but you get the idea.

As for the armor maybe it’s me but I’m confused where you want to trim the arc. At the wrist or elbow? I’ve seen it done at the elbow and I’ve also seen some people leave it uneven. I’m fairly sure if you look you can find examples of both within the original movie.

• Like 1

First off with posting pics some people use a third party like imgur or tapatalk. I’m sure there are a few more but you get the idea.

As for the armor maybe it’s me but I’m confused where you want to trim the arc. At the wrist or elbow? I’ve seen it done at the elbow and I’ve also seen some people leave it uneven. I’m fairly sure if you look you can find examples of both within the original movie.

I’m thinking of trimming at the wrist to make a curved line that make the two halves join cleanly at the wrist.

21 minutes ago, David G said:

if I want to maintain the return at the elbow, then I need to align those ends and trim at the wrist, which has no return. I propose trimming in an arc to even the ends after assembling the halves. Thoughts?

Yes, to maintain the return edge at the elbow, Trim the wrist. I would recommend not trim till you have tested the complete arm asembled. this would prevent the forearms to be short and give you a bad look as if you were waering a small shirt.  :D

Cheers

• Like 1

Yes, to maintain the return edge at the elbow, Trim the wrist. I would recommend not trim till you have tested the complete arm asembled. this would prevent the forearms to be short and give you a bad look as if you were waering a small shirt.  

Cheers

That’s what I was thinking also. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks to some help from TK Andrew H (who happens to be stationed near me IRL), the armor is starting to be built with cuts AND glue. Biceps started:

EDIT -- Deleted photos as attachments.

Spending a few hours on your build with an experienced trooper, who can help you test fit, tape, cut, glue, advise, share best practices, etc., probably saved me weeks of time planning, fretting, avoiding, correcting, etc.

Edited by David G
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Arm Assemblies

Progress-to-date on the arms; biceps and forearms are mostly complete

Key resources consulted:

Pictures:

1 hour ago, TKSpartan said:

@David G  sorry, this is the tutorial.  cheers  :laugh1:

Thanks for this -- I have still not found a way to share a gallery as a snapshot. There are 18 links and I was avoiding copying each one separately.

6 hours ago, David G said:

Thanks for this -- I have still not found a way to share a gallery as a snapshot. There are 18 links and I was avoiding copying each one separately.

Most of us just copy the separate links, doesn't take that long ;) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Torso Assembly

Progress-to-date on torso including trimming, strapping, snaps and tabs

Key resources consulted:

Pictures of preliminary fitting:

Pictures of strapping, snaps, tabs:

Questions:

1. I don't plan on making the cod rivet functional. Opinions on this?
  2. On the right side of the ab, is a "Han snap" what is the position of the center of this snap from the corner? I have heard 12 mm in and 12 mm down and 20 mm in and 20 mm down.
  3. I don't intend to make the Han snap functional. Opinions?

35 minutes ago, David G said:
  • I don't plan on making the cod rivet functional. Opinions on this?
  • On the right side of the ab, is a "Han snap" what is the position of the center of this snap from the corner? I have heard 12 mm in and 12 mm down and 20 mm in and 20 mm down.
  • I don't intend to make the Han snap functional. Opinions?

Hi David, your armor fits great ! Well done.

about your questions, my two cents:

1- As per the Crl , the cod rivet not need to be functional , so is up to the builder if so.

2- The han Snap I have read  that It is about 10mm in from the edge and about 20-25mm down if functional would line it up with the snap plate on the kidney but you can see the following reference photo

3- I personally use to make the Han snap functional. 

hNXLRR9.jpg

If I can make a suggestion, I have seem the same issue in others  AM building threads I have read and It's in the lower armor .

vswojE7.jpg

eYmaT8X.jpg

6lOYFgB.jpg

advice from @ukswrath  

Here a Reference Photo

8gsMtpn.png?1

Cheers , and keep on doing a great work. :jc_doublethumbup:

Hi David, your armor fits great ! Well done.

about your questions, my two cents:

1- As per the Crl , the cod rivet not need to be functional , so is up to the builder if so.
2- The han Snap I have read  that It is about 10mm in from the edge and about 20-25mm down if functional would line it up with the snap plate on the kidney but you can see the following reference photo

3- I personally use to make the Han snap functional. 

hNXLRR9.jpg&key=8e0309132c0df179629a4f12683557eb773ebc839222aa60a4612faabc296f87

If I can make a suggestion, I have seem the same issue in others  AM building threads I have read and It's in the lower armor .

vswojE7.jpg&key=fde07e80fd9a01c4f913bc49e3acab01f3272a2c4b048c2b45dacb00ea74d4ad

eYmaT8X.jpg&key=f0af59fae4caaabf061f6fda18629353a03c18511c9787baa6e81d7a9c9835d9

6lOYFgB.jpg&key=70c43c64a9235cf44a0eb0bf5d77b8d7b0b29a3442dd25511cc0a7c1b7d177fa
advice from [mention=21566]ukswrath[/mention]  

Here a Reference Photo

8gsMtpn.png?1&key=be2ca133f703155a9729ae834dd537800db199de1ae7b4a4a2ccac337f4a7aab

Cheers , and keep on doing a great work. :jc_doublethumbup:

A lot of feedback on the butt tab. The generous return makes one think that the tab should be retained. See my response to #gatetrooper.

Here my personal opinions on the AM tab: (No hate, please, lol).

Photo 1 shows an AM posterior plate with the elongated tab removed.  IMHO it's not a big deal, but the snaps are noticeable from the rear.

Photo 2 shown that the screen used tabs were actually pretty long, enough that the snaps would not normally be visible.

Photo 3 shows the tab with an even longer length than photo 2.  Trooper (Han in this case) is bent over at the time, so this would normally not be seen if he were upright.

Photos 4, 5 and 6 show that the snaps were pretty much hidden from view.

Note that we have traditionally passed AM armor with the extended tab at Expert Infantry and Centurion levels.

oPMfyVH.jpg?1    tJOFGiw.jpg?1   mzVdZbc.jpg?1  n9G59Qf.jpg?1  liPdeSv.jpg?1  Z0TjFXk.jpg?1

• Like 2

Here my personal opinions on the AM tab: (No hate, please, lol).

Photo 1 shows an AM posterior plate with the elongated tab removed.  IMHO it's not a big deal, but the snaps are noticeable from the rear.
Photo 2 shown that the screen used tabs were actually pretty long, enough that the snaps would not normally be visible.
Photo 3 shows the tab with an even longer length than photo 2.  Trooper (Han in this case) is bent over at the time, so this would normally not be seen if he were upright.
Photos 4, 5 and 6 show that the snaps were pretty much hidden from view.

Note that we have traditionally passed AM armor with the extended tab at Expert Infantry and Centurion levels.

oPMfyVH.jpg?1&key=26e2eab63430810624760b1ab8e8ea625a804e122de08b415de1e95903355035    tJOFGiw.jpg?1&key=6746c5c31a33ed1c944743c178a9cb5a419913d9fa4d6c8f49f8fe0f809086ef   mzVdZbc.jpg?1&key=c8335e7cef9e91e3bae0ec23260e480cb45055d314b1f90700ff7b22800cc859  n9G59Qf.jpg?1&key=7f5f4f50c9a98a7504eef81db7d501b8258090b3b29480d5cb4e92b742cdc436  liPdeSv.jpg?1&key=49b405eb41ad74e47f3cf3a0969f5dc97615cd5b445e6ba4733e32fd5bdc2d66  Z0TjFXk.jpg?1&key=522be8c727bd6b176876fafa8df9156c33f8a5b14add1b23ebfdcf51eb2759cc

I used to go crazy at the inconsistent armor from the film but I’ve come to embrace it, realizing guys like us were building the suits and we’d all have differences. I have heard two stories on higher level approval with the tab indicating that perhaps the rules have changed. I see no harm in submitting with the tab and removing it if I have to. I’ve learned so much with this build I’m good with anything.

• Like 3

I used to go crazy at the inconsistent armor from the film but I’ve come to embrace it, realizing guys like us were building the suits and we’d all have differences. I have heard two stories on higher level approval with the tab indicating that perhaps the rules have changed. I see no harm in submitting with the tab and removing it if I have to. I’ve learned so much with this build I’m good with anything.

Sounds like your having a breakthrough David. Your doing great, Andrew won’t steer you wrong as will anyone here. Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

Sounds like your having a breakthrough David. Your doing great, Andrew won’t steer you wrong as will anyone here. Keep up the good work!

I have learned so much a second build would be smoother. On the other hand, I’ve learned enough that I don’t think I’d ever want to do a second build. Andrew has been so helpful with this build. I look forward to showing you guys the finished product.

• Like 2