David G AM 4.5 ANH Stunt Build Thread

Iron TK

Hi everybody. I am a cadet in Garrison Carida (Eastern PA) and I have pictures of my first AM TK helmet build. I found this build to be equally trying as it was satisfying. The asymmetry of these helmets is charming but for a perfectionist like me very frustrating. I had to find a way to balance overall look with a hand-crafted and imperfect piece. I hope I was able to do so.  Some feedback I had gotten from members of the AM Costuming Group on Facebook suggested to extend the frown. At some point I may convert the decals I used for the tube stripes to painted.

I look forward to starting on the armor parts next!

EDIT -- Attachments removed.

Edited by David G

Hello and welcome aboard, nice build you may want to just remove a little paint from the gum area, from the CRL: Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome aboard, nice build you may want to just remove a little paint from the gum area, from the CRL: Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area.

Thanks for that — I went back and forth on this as the teeth curve into the gum and finding that sweet spot is an effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 2:15 AM, TKSpartan said:

Hi, David, welcome to FISD. here some reference photos and you can look at the gallety section and compare.

----------

Thank you! I’ve been advised to extend the frown in grey to a last point. Some photos have a white gap between the last tooth and the end of the frown but this classic reference seems to have a black gap (as a tooth hole but too small to practically cut and screen). Which is it?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Thank you! I’ve been advised to extend the frown in grey to a last point. Some photos have a white gap between the last tooth and the end of the frown but this classic reference seems to have a black gap (as a tooth hole but too small to practically cut and screen). Which is it?

It’s a cut with screen behind it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David G said:

Some photos have a white gap between the last tooth and the end of the frown but this classic reference seems to have a black gap (as a tooth hole but too small to practically cut and screen). Which is it?

That particular helmet don’t have the last grey painted on that side. The last black is a hole but no screen behind as the originals didn’t have any screen behind the teeth:salute:

Trivia: the number of cutouts varied between the helmets from a total of six to ten but it was decided to keep eight as the approvable standard for uniformity.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 3:11 PM, ukswrath said:

Hey David welcome to the FISD and beautiful job on your helmet. 

Thank you, I appreciate all the expert advice and hard-won experience here.

Touched up the frown as suggested: removed paint from gum, extended frown on each side.

Edited by David G
  • Like 4

ARMOR ASSEMBLY

I'm starting on the armor. Resources I'm using in this build are primarily these two threads:

FOREARM ASSEMBLY

I started with the forearms and already ran into a bit of trouble trimming. Compared to snips, I can say nothing beats a good straight blade at your side. I am going to avoid any tools that shear the ABS as I can easily crack the material at the edge. As I don't have a workshop, I can't catch the shavings (for ABS paste) if I use a Dremel outside,  so I am using three different blades depending on the cut so I can keep the chips/shavings:

1. Standard workshop cutter for thicker or longer cuts
  2. A Blade of Exact-Zero for standard trimming
  3. A scalpel with a curved blade (typically used for miniature and model work) for surgical precision (naturally)

At the wrist, the edges should have ideally no return if I read the CRL correctly. I trimmed the the shears first (not doing that again) then cleanly with an X-ACTO blade. I little sanding and it seemed ready.

QUESTIONS

1. What is the return, if any, at the elbow-end of the forearms?
  2. Are all trims made to the piece that has no detail, as stated in Easy's thread? If so, I will end up trimming a lot from both sides of that piece. I want to be assured that is correct.
  3. I intend to have an inner strip as well as an outer strip and want to confirm that both halves are assembled edge-to-edge. Correct?

Edited by David G

On 10/8/2019 at 11:41 PM, David G said:
ARMOR ASSEMBLY

I'm starting on the armor. Resources I'm using in this build are primarily these two threads:

FOREARM ASSEMBLY

I started with the forearms and already ran into a bit of trouble trimming. Compared to snips, I can say nothing beats a good straight blade at your side. I am going to avoid any tools that shear the ABS as I can easily crack the material at the edge. As I don't have a workshop, I can't catch the shavings (for ABS paste) if I use a Dremel outside,  so I am using three different blades depending on the cut so I can keep the chips/shavings:

1. Standard workshop cutter for thicker or longer cuts
  2. A Blade of Exact-Zero for standard trimming
  3. A scalpel with a curved blade (typically used for miniature and model work) for surgical precision (naturally)
At the wrist, the edges should have ideally no return if I read the CRL correctly. I trimmed the the shears first (not doing that again) then cleanly with an X-ACTO blade. I little sanding and it seemed ready.

QUESTIONS

2. Are all trims made to the piece that has no detail, as stated in Easy's thread? If so, I will end up trimming a lot from both sides of that piece. I want to be assured that is correct.
  3. I intend to have an inner strip as well as an outer strip and want to confirm that both halves are assembled edge-to-edge. Correct?
-------------

The black line is your return edge. That’s the areas on the armor that curves in.

The are right they need to be glued end to end with a cover strip. You can cut those arms in half (or whatever size is needed) to get the perfect fit shown with a red line. My suggestion would be save the cutoffs and the longer pieces can be your inside cover strip. It helps save the good cover strip material for the outside. And any cutoffs you make save the plastic. You’ll need it if you ever need to make ABS paste.

The AM armor is cast bigger so you’ll probably end up trimming it down to fit. That’s totally normal. Everything needs to fit well so do what you have to in trimming things to fit around you just stick with the natural curve and keep it even (if the piece is round try and keep it round). Hopefully that helps David.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

6 hours ago, David G said:

QUESTIONS

For #1, are you asking how much return edge to leave on the piece?

#2, can you be more specific "piece that has no detail"?

#3 Correct on edge to edge, the cover strip on the outside hides the gap. BUT, you need to cut the pieces to fit your body type. We all love pictures, and that helps when asking questions so take a few when posting (a few more minutes of keyboard banging, but well worth it and piece of mind).

For the forearms, is the length good on you or do you need to shorten it? Look at some EIB/Centurion submissions and you will see the gap needed between the bicep/forearm, as well as forearm and glove plate. 

Keep the questions (and pictures) coming, love to see some more AM armor join the legion!

6 hours ago, David G said:

On 9/26/2019 at 5:23 AM, David G said:

It's just gray paint, not a gap. cheers. 

On 10/8/2019 at 6:35 PM, LTM said:

For #1, are you asking how much return edge to leave on the piece?

#2, can you be more specific "piece that has no detail"?

#3 Correct on edge to edge, the cover strip on the outside hides the gap. BUT, you need to cut the pieces to fit your body type. We all love pictures, and that helps when asking questions so take a few when posting (a few more minutes of keyboard banging, but well worth it and piece of mind).

For the forearms, is the length good on you or do you need to shorten it? Look at some EIB/Centurion submissions and you will see the gap needed between the bicep/forearm, as well as forearm and glove plate. 

Keep the questions (and pictures) coming, love to see some more AM armor join the legion!

Here are two photos to help illustrate; the questions asked more clearly:

1. Is there a return edge on the elbow side at all (BLUE)? Also, is the extended part (PURPLE) of the outer half (the part with the molded detail) left intact or is that also removed at the wrist and elbow side?
  2. The piece that has no detail is the inner half. Are the two halves supposed to be cut to equal size, necessitating trimming both pieces, or is the featureless (inner) half the only piece that gets trimmed? Easy's build seems to show this method, while AJ's shows both parts getting cut as does Frank's markup of my earlier photo. One cut has been made from the inner part (GREEN, taped side) and the second cut proposed cut (YELLOW) as per Easy's build thread or do I cut the outer part (RED) to maintain all curves?
  3. Regarding the length, it seems to fit okay lengthwise, but if I have to shorten the piece at either end, then my other questions about edge trimming become irrelevant, yes?

Edited by David G

For my build I cut both sides. When you think about the symmetry you want it to line up with the biceps and shoulder, so you will usually see in fitting putting one piece inside of the other with blue tape (pictures from AJ's build)

TK%2051%20lo-res.jpg

For the return, look to AJ (he was able to go to centurion): With all that in mind I decided to remove the return edges to pretty close to where I'll finally have them -- nothing on the wrist, and about 1/8"=3/16" on the elbow ends.

TK%20162%20lo-res.jpg

Need to remove the ridge return as well.

TK%2093%20lo-res.jpg

Edited by LTM
  • Like 2