JZYL Fem7 build

1 minute ago, jethroskull said:

Wow! Whoever beat you must have been good, you look great!

eh... technically the category was "Most Creative", and the winner was a DIY costume based off of an HR pun.... oh wellz.....

• Like 1

Awesome work, congrats on getting it finished and commiserations for not winning, but you are a winner, you have taken on a project with little build info and you have come out the other side mostly unscathed (apart from some loss of sanity and armor bites) ;) 

Congratulations 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Awesome work, congrats on getting it finished and commiserations for not winning, but you are a winner, you have taken on a project with little build info and you have come out the other side mostly unscathed (apart from some loss of sanity and armor bites) ;) 

Congratulations 

Thank you so much! I kinda wish I had documented it a little bit better so that others would be able as well, but it was a speed build after all.

Here's a list of things to work on to improve the armor. This was, after all, a speed build on a first time build, so there were a few hiccups.

1. Replace the belt

it has broken on me several times, and I am actually not too happy with using the solid plastic that way. I recall @Navajo Bro's documented build they also swapped the belt out with a rubber matt they had cut and glued into a long strip. Also just considering buying something since I'm like totally out of energy now.

2. redo some of the strapping

So it turns out I had accidentally used some of the straps included in the kit incorrectly. First is the thighs: there were two very long pieces of webbing that I got mixed up with some of the webbing I had, and ended up cutting them for other things. So they're actually meant to attach to the thighs and go on like suspenders. Instead, I had used the elastic straps meant to hold the biceps up as holds for the thighs. This is not working since the elastic is obviously already stretching. I'm not worried about the biceps, because they hold up pretty well, but I might switch it too

3. clean up forearms

So I worked on the forearms when I had the flu, so they're pretty jank. Fine for costuming, but the perfectionist in me is twitchy. First is I need to remove the return edges on the wrist, they're where my main armor bite is. Also possibly trim down the whole thing , again armor bites at the elbow. Next is to possibly bondo or caulk the seams where the greeblie is attached to the forearm. I was a little overzealous when sanding it, so there's some slight gaps. Lastly, to clean up joint. I had the idea of using ABS past to join the pieces, not realizing that the abs paste had bubbles in it, and had slightly discolored. I kinda want to learn about bondo, but then I'd have to paint it.

4. Redo seams on the legs

My thighs and shins were a lot smaller than the kit, so I ended up trimming a lot from it. The result was that they were a little less curved, and can tell the plastic is pulling hard on the E6000 glue. I might ABS paste this, since as messed up as my forearms look, they're super secure. The bottom of the shin might need some trimming, since I'm pretty short and it knocks into my boots

5. getting a different size shoe

so Imperial Surplus had a boot that was sold with the kit, and I was advised to go down about half a size. Well I'm actually in between a 7.5 and a 8, so wearing a size 7 actually is not the most comfortable. Since I've worn it obviously can't return/exchange, so the question is whether to contact them to get the larger size, or to get a different one completely

ALSO..

I ORDERED A BLACK FEM7 KIT. SO STAY TUNED FOR ANOTHER BUILD IN THE FUTURE... hopefully better documented and more carefully done

ALSO. I DID ORDER THE LEGACY TK KIT. Guess I might actually try to join the 501st... but I'm really scared of all teh snap plates! I got away with velcro'ing everything in this one~!!

• Like 3