What is closest sounding voice amp for the StormTropper

I dont think there is a "closest sounding" necessarily, just what is based on your needs (and what you can use easily with your armor/bucket) and within your budget.

I am currently building a list of helmet mods, and this is some of what I have down for voice changers right now

The ppl tagged are actually FISD members who sell these items - btw this is in no particular order, just the order in which I stumbled upon them.

V. Voice Changers (sound like the character, add radio static and clicks)

A.  @pwhitrow TRamp > note that due to size, cannot be placed in helmet unless it's Spaceballs bucket

- UK based

- comes with speaker, charge directly

- option of keyfob control for voice clips, option fingertip buttons

- not small, needs to be placed outside helmet

- customize microSD on computer, need adapter

B. @lerxstrulzTK-Talkie

- USA, Texas based

- need speaker, mic, power

- lots of customization on phone app

B. @TK6294iComm and shop (link in FISD thread is dead)

- USA, Texas based

- need speaker, mic, power

- no background loops or sound bites

- note that iComm itself has its own internal battery, which will die > mod to use external battery by @Sly11

C. @TK256 FX/ROM > no longer active, putting for archival purposes and thank you for your service

D. @BrinkHouse*TrooperTalk > iOS based boooooo! Android is better!!

- through iPhone so location is non-issue

- needs mic, speaker, and splitter to connect all elements

- highly customizable, since it's an app they probably will push the updates directly

E. DIY using radios (See VII. D. for a great build)     

Edited by JZYL
correcting bad info

Add another vote for the Aker and icomm. I sewed a little pocket and glued it in the chest of my armor. The amp sits on a belt under my armor and the cord runs to the pouch where the icomm sits. Eliminates anything in the helmet, and keeps the icomm from bouncing around. Not sure if any one device is more realistic then the other, I think they are all basically the same. It’s just a matter of what will work best with your set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, JZYL said:

A. @CableGuyTRamp > note that due to size, cannot be placed in helmet unless it's Spaceballs bucket

Dan doesn't make them, the guy is Paul who is a UKG member.  Not a TK but troops a shadow trooper.

Rom-FX is now had it's last run.  If Johns sold out then there won't ever be any more.

• Like 2

The Aker is what I use and gives the troopers over the radio sound. The Icomm just adds the random static burst and chirps but doesn’t modify your voice. It is really all you need. The Aker last days on a charge but my Icomm has been on the same battery and lots of troops and on the original battery. My wife’s eats batteries every few months and hardly gets used so I have to remove it between troops.

The Aker mic killed my head and ears so bad I had to stop troops at one point so I switched to the one from Ukswrath.

I also prefer the push to talk but over the open mic so you can cough and talk to wranglers and hosts without blasting them.

Just a basic Aker for me. I find randomly triggered static bursts annoying. I don’t think the public really notice the bursts anyway.

If you notice in the films, ‘troopers have barely a click sound at the beginning or end of speech. You can emulate that very easily with practice.

And it’s about £20 :)

I’d agree with the others that there isn’t really one that sounds like a stormtrooper, as such. You’ll have to adapt your voice to the voices heard in the movies. Ie, tone and accent.

Regarding units to use, I have TRamp and it’s a good unit. The static bursts are not cannon but do add to the illusion that it’s some kind of CB system. They’re not random - they are using a noise gate of sorts so only kick in when it senses that you’ve stopped taking.

I’ve also just purchased an Aker 1505 and it sounds a little deeper (bassy) than TRamp. Still sounds good though.

8 hours ago, CableGuy said:

They’re not random - they are using a noise gate of sorts so only kick in when it senses that you’ve stopped taking.

If that was in response to my comment, I meant more like ‘randomly triggered’, i.e. from background noise, etc :)

• Like 1

If that was in response to my comment, I meant more like ‘randomly triggered’, i.e. from background noise, etc

Hi Mark,

Gotcha - I see what you mean. Mine has triggered a couple of times at huge events like MCM. :-)

• 4 years later...