Researching Helmet mods

On 9/17/2019 at 5:07 AM, StrmTRPR85 said:

I'm based in the US, good old Ohio B)

I also have a smaller fan size option as well.

hey can you tell me the size of your smaller fan option? I'm going to tag the sellers that have smaller size options.

updated to add Henry's Helmet Fans, recommended by the lovely gals in the Legacy TK build on Facebook

Female characters have smaller buckets, and less space available

So I'm going to start noting if sellers have smaller sizes available.

4 hours ago, Bristol trooper said:

To add to your list!

Mic speaker set up from-

1-IMPERIAL LIGHT AND MAGIG

2-ISLE OF WHITE

3-ALL IN ONE UNIT (NO STATIC BURST)

4-MEMORY CARD WITH BACK GROUND CHATTER

6-REMOVABLE MIC

7-LIGHT WEIGHT WITH NECK STRAP.

Hi Tim! 

Thanks for contributing, but I'm a little unclear where you want to put this. ARe these suggested vendors? If so, could you let me know where to find them? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 10:42 AM, sharkbait said:

Ah yes!  Thank you.  

A bit of expansion, and links:

I use this for a basic, budget fan set up:

amazon.com/gp/product/B0775ZM4DW - Fans (if specific product not in stock, basically you want "DC Cooling Blower Fan 5015S 5V 0.1-0.3A 50x15mm"

amazon.com/gp/product/B07BXBS93X/ - Battery pack with on/off switch (9v Battery Holder or 9v battery case WITH SWITCH)

amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Everyday-Alkaline-Batteries-8-Pack/dp/B00MH4QM1S/ - 9v batteries on the cheap (Amazon Basics are great batteries in general).  Unfortunately, the rechargeable 9Vs don't have the juice to work for us.  I tried them, and they didn't even last a whole troop, and weren't as strong even at the start.  (I also heard after I bought them but before I tried them the same thing from another member).  

Cut off the white end cap on the fan wires, and expose some of the wiring from the casing.  Solder the red wire from the battery box to the red wire of the fan, repeat with the black wires.  Test with a battery.  Repeat for second fan.  Use velcro to attach fans and battery packs into the helmet in desired location.  

This will work with really any helmet set up, provided you have space to mount them.  They are pretty compact, but some buckets are quite tight on everyone (still trying to figure out where to mount them in my Shadow Scout helmet...)

This is the same concept you would use to attach it to a USB connector for a USB power bank, in place of the battery box.  I personally could never make rechargeable anything work, so I ditched them all for 9V batteries, and haven't had any issues since.  That said, I know a whole lot of guys and Mandos who use USB chargers and love them and never have any issues.  I could just be unlucky.  

This is the blue rechargeable battery:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-3000mAh-Rechargeable-Portable-Super-Li-ion-Battery-US-PLUG-Charger/312614180567

They are 12 v, so while they do power the fans for ages, they also are quite loud because they're overpowered for the fans.  I found them unreliable and it was incredibly difficult to hear- which it's already hard.  And I got called Hard Drive for a while because you could hear the fan buzz outside my helmet.  Biggest tip: they must be in the ON position to charge.  They're backwards.  If the switch isn't ON, then they won't take a charge.  So, turn them on before you plug them in to be sure (because once you plug them in the light comes on regardless).  I had issues with them taking a charge even when on, etc., and they're mass produced in China- so it's kind of a gamble on how good your individual product will be.  Still, like USBs, people swear by them and have used them for years.  Maybe I'm just unlucky, again.  

Aker:

I found it was worth it to go for the good one up front, it's lasted for years now and given me no issues.  

http://store.voicebooster.com/voicebooster-mr1506-aker-10watt-voice-amplifier/ (he also sells them on Amazon- just check both places to see which has a better price/is on sale that day).  The 10 watt is plenty-  unless you really want the deaf old lady down the street to hear you, too.  You ever heard a Jawa yell "Utinni!" with a 12 watt?  It's LOUD.  

I am a huge fan of the iComm, if you can splurge on it:

http://store.voicebooster.com/icomm-imperial-communication-system/

Wireless mic:

amazon.com/dp/B01HOB5SKE/ - They're constantly changing names, brands, but they're all basically the same, so if the product shows unavailable, just Amazon search for "wireless mic" and you'll find the new incarnation.  They're usually about $25 - $30.

The wireless mic set up allows you to take your bucket off without any wire encumbrance.  I wear my Aker around my neck and it sits at high-chest, right below my collar bone.  You could also mount it in your chest if you have room, or I've also seen the back.  I'm leery of mounting it in the back because you don't want it to sound like  you're talking from behind you.  In the general chest area it sounds like it's coming form an internal speaker system and gives it that slightly disembodied effect like the suit is actually wired up and real.

I also run TK chatter though an old iPod shuffle, and my Aker.  It's also compatible with the wireless and iComm set up.  

I would really love to use your personal fan system but I don’t understand how to enable to battery pack to use two fans at once. Can you explain in more detail how to? Could I just connect an additional fan red to red black to black at the base of the battery pack?

On 11/23/2019 at 5:44 AM, ImperialLoyalty342 said:

I would really love to use your personal fan system but I don’t understand how to enable to battery pack to use two fans at once. Can you explain in more detail how to? Could I just connect an additional fan red to red black to black at the base of the battery pack?

It's one battery pack per fan- so it's basically the same thing, twice.  

One fan is usually enough, hottest troop I've attended was outside on 39 deg C day and didn't need the second fan. As long as you can keep the lens clear that's all you really need.

It is good to have a spare fan/battery setup just in case your main one goes flat during trooping ;) 

One fan per battery pack is what many use. 

14 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

One fan is usually enough, hottest troop I've attended was outside on 39 deg C day and didn't need the second fan. As long as you can keep the lens clear that's all you really need.

It is good to have a spare fan/battery setup just in case your main one goes flat during trooping ;) 

One fan per battery pack is what many use. 

Do you have a picture of how you angeled it toward your lenses?

8 hours ago, ImperialLoyalty342 said:

Do you have a picture of how you angeled it toward your lenses?

No images handy, on angle pointing upwards towards lens. 

On 11/26/2019 at 4:53 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

At the suggestion of one 501st member my co-worker (and future garrison mate!) tried Quick Spit Anti-Fog spray on his Greedo lenses and said it is amazing.  That being said does the fan provide any cooling relief for ones head? 

5 hours ago, Dielotski said:

That being said does the fan provide any cooling relief for ones head? 

I find you do feel cooler feeling the air crossing your face, could be a mental trick but works for me.

Heres a quick demo of my Troopacoola Digital Variable Speed system. Please note, any price listed is out of date. For upto date listings and more info, follow the link in the description

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been looking at battery packs and 5v fans for my bucket, but I am not sure with battery pack would provide the best performance.  I don't have a great knowledge of tech, so I need some advice.  I don't want to overcharge my fans and risk damaging them, or undercharging the fans by draining the battery life faster causing me to buy more batteries.  I am definitely going for 2 fans to install, so which option should I go for:-

One pack that contains 4AA batteries (6v) and connect it to 1 fan.

One pack that contains 4AA batteries (6v) and connect it as a split system to 2 fans.

Two packs that contain 3AA batteries (4.5v) and connect it to 1 fan.

I'm leaning more towards 2 battery packs that contain 3AA per fan.  But how long would a 5v fan last powered by a 3AA battery pack (4.5v)? 

I'm thinking that it would be too bulky in my helmet and expensive down the road to buy 2 battery packs that contain 4AA batteries each and connect them separately to the fans.

Any advice would be great.

• Like 1

Use a USB battery pack such like you would use to top up a phone.  The small ones will run 2 5v fans for about 6-7 hours before it dies on you and being small fit in the helmet just fine.

I made my own wired as per the diagram above 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All! Between family issues and the pandemic, I had taken a long break from here.

I'm going to temporarily shift my focus on research into mikes, especially anything that could be worn with a face mask.

My older brother is a nurse and has been complaining of a sore throat from shouting through his mask.

Off the top of my head is to either go with a throat mic, or a small mic that can be worn on the face or on the mask itself.

Will still update everything else if I stumble upon it, or people suggest them.

• Like 1

Have you thought about a clip on mic?  Also, look on YouTube for Adam Savage's video he did where he put a mic in his glasses.  If your brother wears glasses, that might work.

Edited by MissionTrooper

17 hours ago, MissionTrooper said:

Have you thought about a clip on mic?  Also, look on YouTube for Adam Savage's video he did where he put a mic in his glasses.  If your brother wears glasses, that might work.

Huh maybe. I had seen on reddit that clip on mics weren't a good idea since you're amplifying a muffle anyways. It might work for him because he is wearing a face shield. But I also want to look into things that we civilians can do too.