Researching Helmet mods

work in progress!!

Hi All!

Doing some research on helmet add-in's. Just wanted to throw together a list and see if anyone else knew of any others, or could give opinions. Not in any particular order. Tagging sources and sellers if they're on FISD, since we always want to support our own! Noting location where possible since it will affect shipping times and possibly taxes. Working list as I continue to gather more options and get more info. I plan on building a Fem7 (not 501st approved!) so space is key, so I will personally be more interested in space saving options, but will put as much info in here so others can refer if needed. Prices are not included, since prices can change due to costs, location, etc.

UPDATE: 2020 JULY 8TH Going to slightly deep dive microphones and speakers, since I think this could potentially help those of us who are having difficulty being heard while wearing face masks. They will be detailed under VIII

I. Fans (keep cool, prevent lens fogging)

A. @ukswrath Stormtrooper Cooling system

- USA California based

- comes with battery pack, or get a power bank

- option of a personalized 'bracket'; to mount 2 or 4 fans

B. @CTID Troopacoola 

- UK based

- just mount (some supplies included), and get a power bank

- optional fan speed options

C. @NeoNines First Order Concepts Rathtar

- USA California based

- powered by AAA batteries

- use of little tubes to aim airflow at specific areas

D. Trooper Tronix 

- optional rechargeable usb power units

E. @StrmTRPR85 Fan Boys

- USA Ohio based

- optional control speed of fans

- optional power on/off switch

- optional power bank

- has option of smaller fans: 35 x 35 x 10 mm

F. Henry's Helmet Fans (also on FB, very responsive)

- USA Washington based

- has 3 different size options by request (smallest  is 30mm)

- depending on kit, has switch options, and 3D printing directions for directing air flow

- needs power bank

G. Make your own out of snow, that's a true SnowTrooper! 

1. mini fans

2. power supply

F. Only troop during blizzards

II. Audio (hear the outside)

A. @ukswrath Stormtrooper Hearing Assist (FISD)

- USA California based

- amp + 2 mikes + power; supply own speakers/earphones

- option of purchasing 2 small flat speakers to put in the helmet

B. Make your own

1. mini microphone(s) on outside (recommend in ear pieces)

2. amplifier

3. earphones or internal speakers

C. Hope everyone speaks like Bernie Sanders

III. Speakers (let others hear you)

A. @ukswrath various audio systems

B. Make your own

1. microphone

2. external speaker

C. Do your best John Bercow impression... but say "First Ordah" instead of just "Ordah"!

IV. Voice Changers (sound like the character, add radio static and clicks)

A. @pwhitrowTRamp > note that due to size, cannot be placed in helmet unless it's Spaceballs bucket

- UK based

- comes with speaker, charge directly

- option of keyfob control for voice clips, option fingertip buttons

- not small, needs to be placed outside helmet

- customize microSD on computer, need adapter

B. @lerxstrulzTK-Talkie

- USA, Texas based

- need speaker, mic, power

- lots of customization on phone app

B. @TK6294iComm and shop (link in FISD thread is dead)

- USA, Texas based

- need speaker, mic, power

- no background loops or sound bites

- note that iComm itself has its own internal battery, which will die > mod to use external battery by @Sly11

C. @TK256 FX/ROM > no longer active, putting for archival purposes and thank you for your service

D. @BrinkHouse*TrooperTalk > iOS based boooooo! Android is better!!

- through iPhone so location is non-issue

- needs mic, speaker, and splitter to connect all elements

- highly customizable, since it's an app they probably will push the updates directly

E. DIY using radios (See VII. D. for a great build)     

F. Take an acting class

V. Chatter and sound bites

A. *MiCom (FISD?)

- USA based?

- comes with battery, and palm-strapped remote with 8 buttons

- need speaker

B. @ukswrath probably has something the dude's like a one trooper bazaar

C. Build your own

1. sound storage (phone or mp3 player)

2. speakers

3. optional: splitter (depends on what sound storage device is used)

3. optional: trigger item (PTT button, control gloves, etc)

VI. Build your own

A. Power supply options [credit @sharkbait breakdown of options in a short blurb, plus a longer explanation]

1. option: USB charged power banks

2. option: 9V

3. option: rechargeables

B. Speaker options

1. Your own use (hear what's outside the bucket)

a. option: mini speakers

b. option: earbuds

2. to broadcast

a. option: large speaker, placed on body

b. option: small speaker, placed in helmet

C. Microphones

1. option: wired

- no need to worry about charge

- depending other elements, may need to wire through clothes

- depending other elements, can still be contained in bucket, but interior planning is a must

2. option: wireless

- free of wires, bucket is easily removed without breaking image

- power supply is to be considered

- consider how connected (such as bluetooth)

3. option: throat mic

- no concern over bucket space, can be hidden under clothing

- consider ease of switching on/off when bucket is not worn

- consider ease of use: throat mics need to be optimally positioned, and are affected by body hair and fat on the neck area

D. Fans

E. Voice changing or sound bites

F. Padding

VII. Recognizing awesome builds

A. PatchBOTS Youtube - arduino based, puts in speakers, mic, audio, fan, lights, uses ROM/FX Board

B. @MissionTrooper Troopduino - arduino based, voicechanger. He also has some shots of his fan build below, and is generous in providing the STL for 3D printed pieces

C. @cjdesign DIY USB Helmet fan - what it says on the tin

D. @TKedt static burst walkie talkie talk - uses 2 traditional walkie-talkies to voice change, amplify, and ability to speak privately with troop/handler

E. @usaeatt2 TK Helmet Interior Assembly - absolutely beautiful interior design build that is screen accurate, using their own kit

F. Not helmet related, but wanted to salute @Ruthar for his build on making armor Insulin Pump friendly

G. @kamikaze Super clean helmet electronics/interior build - what it says on the tin, woooow that's clean

H. @sharkbait gives a great breakdown of basic diy helmet below, but direct link here

I. @themaninthesuitcase has an overview of diy fans below, direct link here

VIII. Face Mask considerations

A. Microphone

Consider pickup location: is microphone is outside or inside the mask, or a throat mic

Outside: May possibly be muffled, depending on distance to face. Would not have to deal with breathing noises or humidity.

Inside: Will not be muffled, but will have to deal with breathing and humidity.

Throat: sound pickup and humidity issues side stepped, but throat mics are inherently difficulty with placement.

Consider connections: wired or unwired

Wired: most stable, and will not require extra charging.

However, wires will need to be tucked away, will need to be sanitized, and are a possible air leak or contamination risk depending on placement.

Unwired: contamination and air leak avoided. Mic will need to be charged separately, and will need to be paired

Consider contamination risk (may be more important for essential workers or those who have to wear for long periods of time)

Consider ease of sanitation

1. Earset

- can be outside or inside mask, though inside may be more difficult

- possibly will interfere with ear loops (if wearing a bandanna or using ear savers, may not be an issue)

2. Headset

- can be outside or inside mask, though inside may be more difficult

- will definitely be more likely to interfere with masks and bandannas, depending on placement of band

3. Lavalier

2. Throat

B. Speaker

Consider placement

Consider power

C. Useful Links/videos/builds

1. @MissionTrooper recommended watching build of Adam Savage modifying a small lavaliere mic into glasses

- Microphone is from the company Countryman, and specifically is the B6 lavaliere mic, which has a very small profile

- Countryman does have other laveliere mics that are not as eyewatering, such as the EMW lavaliere mic, which is about half the price of the B6

Edited by JZYL
adding Face Mask considerations
  • Like 7

49 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Nice list! :jc_doublethumbup:

of course you would....

Since I've got your attention, do you know if your bracket would fit inside of a Fem7 helmet?

Also, just verifying that your chatter equipment is only background chatter, no voice changing?

Awesome idea! My small contribution - TK-Talkie is definitely US-based. Brent is in Texas :)

Also, might be useful - the Aker 1506 (and knockoffs) as well as the Pyle Pro are probably the two most popular speakers in use atm. 

I would also LOVE to see a section with recommended battery packs for running all the electronics!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

Awesome idea! My small contribution - TK-Talkie is definitely US-based. Brent is in Texas :)

Also, might be useful - the Aker 1506 (and knockoffs) as well as the Pyle Pro are probably the two most popular speakers in use atm. 

I would also LOVE to see a section with recommended battery packs for running all the electronics!

Thanks for verifying! 

I'm a big fan of researching, so I'm treating this like a brainstorm first.. throwing all the options and some noted pros and cons on there, before going back and putting in detail

In the Build your Own sections I'll start putting in required elements, and then putting in recommended pieces.

I'll be trawling through the threads later.

Made more edits

expanded the Build your Own section considerations

tried to tag FISD builders where possible, so if this is being used as a reference it's a quick find

Also tried to give credit to others when I used their info - @sharkbait would you prefer I added a link to the thread I looked at as well? The rest of the thread wasn't completely related, but I liked the power option breakdown.

Continuing to add more options, tagging FISD members and threads wherever possible

LMK if you want the sales thread changed to something else, I'm generally picking the one that that has the most information or doesn't have Etsy's upcharges.

@StrmTRPR85 I went to Purdue University, aka "cradle of astronauts". So we pay a lot of attention to astronauts and their backgrounds.

Did you know that Ohio produces the most number of astronauts out of all the states in the USA? What is it about that state that makes people want to run so far away? To a galaxy far far away?

14 hours ago, JZYL said:

Made more edits

expanded the Build your Own section considerations

tried to tag FISD builders where possible, so if this is being used as a reference it's a quick find

Also tried to give credit to others when I used their info - @sharkbait would you prefer I added a link to the thread I looked at as well? The rest of the thread wasn't completely related, but I liked the power option breakdown.

Considering I've totally forgotten which thread your talking about- a link to the comment in the thread you're referring to would be a great resource!  

If you're talking about fan power options, yes, I can lay it out again, but I probably did it better originally.  I can also provide links and basic instructions for wiring up your own set of simple fans (what I use in my buckets with fans).  

10 hours ago, JZYL said:

@sharkbait it was this little blurb, if you've got a longer explanation or thread I love to link it!

Ah yes!  Thank you.  

A bit of expansion, and links:

I use this for a basic, budget fan set up:

amazon.com/gp/product/B0775ZM4DW - Fans (if specific product not in stock, basically you want "DC Cooling Blower Fan 5015S 5V 0.1-0.3A 50x15mm"

amazon.com/gp/product/B07BXBS93X/ - Battery pack with on/off switch (9v Battery Holder or 9v battery case WITH SWITCH)

amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Everyday-Alkaline-Batteries-8-Pack/dp/B00MH4QM1S/ - 9v batteries on the cheap (Amazon Basics are great batteries in general).  Unfortunately, the rechargeable 9Vs don't have the juice to work for us.  I tried them, and they didn't even last a whole troop, and weren't as strong even at the start.  (I also heard after I bought them but before I tried them the same thing from another member).  

Cut off the white end cap on the fan wires, and expose some of the wiring from the casing.  Solder the red wire from the battery box to the red wire of the fan, repeat with the black wires.  Test with a battery.  Repeat for second fan.  Use velcro to attach fans and battery packs into the helmet in desired location.  

This will work with really any helmet set up, provided you have space to mount them.  They are pretty compact, but some buckets are quite tight on everyone (still trying to figure out where to mount them in my Shadow Scout helmet...)

This is the same concept you would use to attach it to a USB connector for a USB power bank, in place of the battery box.  I personally could never make rechargeable anything work, so I ditched them all for 9V batteries, and haven't had any issues since.  That said, I know a whole lot of guys and Mandos who use USB chargers and love them and never have any issues.  I could just be unlucky.  

This is the blue rechargeable battery:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-3000mAh-Rechargeable-Portable-Super-Li-ion-Battery-US-PLUG-Charger/312614180567

They are 12 v, so while they do power the fans for ages, they also are quite loud because they're overpowered for the fans.  I found them unreliable and it was incredibly difficult to hear- which it's already hard.  And I got called Hard Drive for a while because you could hear the fan buzz outside my helmet.  Biggest tip: they must be in the ON position to charge.  They're backwards.  If the switch isn't ON, then they won't take a charge.  So, turn them on before you plug them in to be sure (because once you plug them in the light comes on regardless).  I had issues with them taking a charge even when on, etc., and they're mass produced in China- so it's kind of a gamble on how good your individual product will be.  Still, like USBs, people swear by them and have used them for years.  Maybe I'm just unlucky, again.  

Aker:

I found it was worth it to go for the good one up front, it's lasted for years now and given me no issues.  

http://store.voicebooster.com/voicebooster-mr1506-aker-10watt-voice-amplifier/ (he also sells them on Amazon- just check both places to see which has a better price/is on sale that day).  The 10 watt is plenty-  unless you really want the deaf old lady down the street to hear you, too.  You ever heard a Jawa yell "Utinni!" with a 12 watt?  It's LOUD.  

I am a huge fan of the iComm, if you can splurge on it:

http://store.voicebooster.com/icomm-imperial-communication-system/

Wireless mic:

amazon.com/dp/B01HOB5SKE/ - They're constantly changing names, brands, but they're all basically the same, so if the product shows unavailable, just Amazon search for "wireless mic" and you'll find the new incarnation.  They're usually about $25 - $30.

The wireless mic set up allows you to take your bucket off without any wire encumbrance.  I wear my Aker around my neck and it sits at high-chest, right below my collar bone.  You could also mount it in your chest if you have room, or I've also seen the back.  I'm leery of mounting it in the back because you don't want it to sound like  you're talking from behind you.  In the general chest area it sounds like it's coming form an internal speaker system and gives it that slightly disembodied effect like the suit is actually wired up and real.

I also run TK chatter though an old iPod shuffle, and my Aker.  It's also compatible with the wireless and iComm set up.  

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 8:06 PM, JZYL said:

of course you would....

Since I've got your attention, do you know if your bracket would fit inside of a Fem7 helmet?

Also, just verifying that your chatter equipment is only background chatter, no voice changing?

Lol, sorry for the late reply. Cooling bracket in the fem helmet, yes it should. The voice changing is done through the iComm sold with my kits or separately, and the chatter system is a an add on item for secondary audio loops.

• Like 1

@sharkbait very cool! I've added it to the page.

Though considering how accident prone I am (security team at work has my birthday, address, emergency contact info, ssn and work id numbers all memorized just from sheer volume of documenting my injuries), I'm going to avoid soldering ...I found an interesting build where someone actually used a pair of walkie talkies, to 'voice change' as well, though you lose the clicks.

I might end up purchasing a unit to keep it all together, and still aiming for something in the bucket since as a woman there, uh, might be space limitations behind the chest plate.

On 9/16/2019 at 3:05 AM, JZYL said:

A. @CableGuyTRamp > note that due to size, cannot be placed in helmet unless it's Spaceballs bucket

- UK based

- comes with speaker, charge directly

- option of keyfob control for voice clips, option fingertip buttons

- not small, needs to be placed outside helmet

- customize microSD on computer, need adapter

I know I posted this elsewhere but its @pwhitrow that makes Tramp not Dan.

Also whilst I am here this is how I made my own fans:

26983406292_97290c2879_b.jpg

Fan wiring diagram by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

Pretty sure there's some photos of the build in my build log which is linked in my signature.

• Like 1

Here's my fan installation.  Here's the AAA cell holder I used:https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PGMW61H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can share the STL file for th 3D printed piece that holds the batteries and switch in the helmet if anyone wants it.

UaLbjh2.jpg

MGPLMqP.jpg

@MissionTrooper thanks so much! I've linked your post and info up in main again.

@Daetrin aw I'm so flattered you think so.. I'm only a newbie, who hasn't even received her first kit yet! And out of the box it's already not a 501st approvable kit. I just like doing research on things.... but heavens knows what I'll decide to do in the end, or if I'm even able to! :P

• 1 month later...

Only just saw this, and thanks for mentioning my work!
With my systems you get everythin needed to install the fans, with the exception to the powerbank
Here's a pick of my TK system...
The switch plate mounts to the hovi mic bolts for easy installation ...2848bf03c327814790bc15c85944aef1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 2