Removing super glue.

Hi guys I picked a WTF armor kit in great shape never worn only issue is a few spots wet out together using super glue and are to big for me as is. The armor was never finished but the parts that were started have this super glue. Is there a way to remove this? On a side note does anyone know if Walts trooper factory has cover strip material for sale? I want to replace just about every piece that was used or cut as it’s not as clean as I would like. Thanks 

It is difficult to remove super glue from armor. That's why I prefer to use a rubber-based glue like E6000.

Acetone is often used to remove super glue, but this WILL melt plastic. Do *NOT* use on armor. Hot water is a possible method. Be careful, though. You don't want to warp the plastic. I have previously used isopropyl alcohol with some luck. It is a solvent, and doesn't (shouldn't) melt the plastic. Try it on a safe spot first just to make sure. You'll also have to pry and scrape and work it. Just take your time.

Oh, and as for extra cover strips, you could get this from many suppliers. I'm sure WTF have them if you ask, but it's just flat white ABS, not specific to the maker. I got mine from Trooperbay, but any smooth white ABS sheet with the correct thickness will suffice. Check your local hobby shop, hardware store, Amazon/Ebay.

18 minutes ago, TK-32700 said:

It is difficult to remove super glue from armor. That's why I prefer to use a rubber-based glue like E6000.

Acetone is often used to remove super glue, but this WILL melt plastic. Do *NOT* use on armor. Hot water is a possible method. Be careful, though. You don't want to warp the plastic. I have previously used isopropyl alcohol with some luck. It is a solvent, and doesn't (shouldn't) melt the plastic. Try it on a safe spot first just to make sure. You'll also have to pry and scrape and work it. Just take your time.

Oh, and as for extra cover strips, you could get this from many suppliers. I'm sure WTF have them if you ask, but it's just flat white ABS, not specific to the maker. I got mine from Trooperbay, but any smooth white ABS sheet with the correct thickness will suffice. Check your local hobby shop, hardware store, Amazon/Ebay.

Thanks I’ll try the alcohol method. I just read some were that putting the parts in freezer may help also by making the glue brittle. Anyone try the freezer method?

I have heard putting pieces in a freezer may help, also soaking in a bath of warm very salty water, you may notice when getting super glue on your hands that it will come of in a day or two, this is because of the salt in our skin

11 hours ago, Coastertk said:

Freezer for sure. The gist of it is that the “water” based molecules expand when frozen and cause lots of tiny micro fractures. Follow up using your razor knife and a new blade. 

I’ll be trying this tonight. I was able to get some off with blade but it been rough. This stuff is like concrete. 

• 2 years later...