Inside Helmet Painting

I am about to start working on my helmet & I want to paint it black inside but what is easier.......to assemble the 2 pieces then paint the inside or paint to 2 pieces separately and then assemble?

Thanks

Edited by Staffa359

I found it easier to paint before trimming and assembling, at least you don't have to tape up eyes and teeth only the outsides of the helmet pieces ;) 

Way easier to paint before assembly. It's a tiny bit more masking work, but when you spray paint into like an almost round object like that, the #1 thing it does is blow paint mist back into your face. I paint all my helmets black inside and use a Rust-O-leum brand truck bedliner. I like the texture and I'd like to think it gives a flimsy helmet like 0.5% more strength haha I use a draw-string garbage bag to mask - pull it tight and tape it in place. Any overspray can be cleaned up with Novus.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I painted the inside of mine but found that after a few troops I would be left with paint on my face where it rubbed during wear as well as getting the helmet on/off. So after the tedious process of removing the paint, I used the lining from a full face motorcycle helmet to fit into the bucket. 

I have always used Plasti dip (available at Lowe's or Home Depot in the paint section) for the inside of my buckets.  They have 2 kinds... the spray-on and the brush-on type.  I personally used the spray.  The smell is REALLY bad until it cures, but it holds up great.  One hint, though:  Whatever product you use be sure to lightly sand down and clean the surface well before applying it.  This will help with adhesion.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
I have always used Plasti dip (available at Lowe's or Home Depot in the paint section) for the inside of my buckets.  They have 2 kinds... the spray-on and the brush-on type.  I personally used the spray.  The smell is REALLY bad until it cures, but it holds up great.  One hint, though:  Whatever product you use be sure to lightly sand down and clean the surface well before applying it.  This will help with adhesion.

I am having my helmet assembled before it arrive to me. Would it be possible to use the brush on plasti dip on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Darth Atlast said:

I am having my helmet assembled before it arrive to me. Would it be possible to use the brush on plasti dip on it?

You can, but you need to be careful.  The brush-on type is kind of runny, and there are overlap connections inside where the cap part overlaps the face-plate and you don't want it seeping in between them too much (see photo).  

A little oozing is fine, as the ears and brow will cover it.  I would suggest very thin layers with ample dry time in between to prevent this.   As I mentioned in the previous post, sanding down and then thoroughly cleaning the entire inside is HIGHLY recommended to help it adhere to the ABS.  

TfkYp2m.jpg

• Like 1

You can, but you need to be careful.  The brush-on type is kind of runny, and there are overlap connections inside where the cap part overlaps the face-plate and you don't want it seeping in between them too much (see photo).  
A little oozing is fine, as the ears and brow will cover it.  I would suggest very thin layers with ample dry time in between to prevent this.   As I mentioned in the previous post, sanding down and then thoroughly cleaning the entire inside is HIGHLY recommended to help it adhere to the ABS.  
TfkYp2m.jpg&key=31e003972f2f273ad0afdcbb1423b7c1a4e98a22b6894886ecbe0d991d600558

Thanks for the suggestions

I didn’t think the dip was runny really. I’m mean if you put it on heavily, sure.

STIR the can with a paint stick thoroughly. It’s liquid at the top and thicker near the bottom. STIPPLE the product on using a 1-1/2” disposable brush... but not the really crummy ones or you’ll get bristles in the stuff. Seal the can with some tape around the lid. Wait an hour or two then apply another coat. 2 is all I needed. After another hour or two, tilt the helmet on its side and point a fan at it. This will get rid of those nasty fumes everyone mentions. Wearable within 24 hours.

I didn’t think the dip was runny really. I’m mean if you put it on heavily, sure.

STIR the can with a paint stick thoroughly. It’s liquid at the top and thicker near the bottom. STIPPLE the product on using a 1-1/2” disposable brush... but not the really crummy ones or you’ll get bristles in the stuff. Seal the can with some tape around the lid. Wait an hour or two then apply another coat. 2 is all I needed. After another hour or two, tilt the helmet on its side and point a fan at it. This will get rid of those nasty fumes everyone mentions. Wearable within 24 hours.

Will the foam style brush work?

A foam brush may not be able to hold much of the product on it, but you can certainly give it a try.  I would suggest a 2 inch wide "chip brush" which you can pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot.  Cheap, effective, and disposable.

For some more detailed info., you can also check out the FAQ section toward the bottom of the page here:  https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/

• Like 1