Calf troubles

Jello

Okay, I've got a bit of a problem. Nothing earthquaking, mind you, but I want to get some input from others who've gone before.

I have found that the calves ride up over the top of my boots when I go up a set of stairs. With the restricted mobility, I can't correct the problem w/o a handler. I have an idea of how to solve the problem, but I'd like to get some input from y'all as well. Fire away, Gridley!

I have an AP, and the same problem on my left (or is it right) boot always coming out under my calf. I know others have the same problem too .. it's not THAT problematic though, but what you could do is glue(snap) an elastic (read strap) in the calf, let's say 6" from the bottom that would go under your feet in the boot keeping them down .. just like those thumb handle coming out of the sleeves of snowboarding coats that goes inside the gloves to keep the snow from getting in.

Not sure if that would work, but it is a suggestion ... I might try it! Mmm

I had the same problems - more so on the TE2 than I did on my FX. In the end I replaced them with RTs.

Between the three they're almost the same length but the sculpt is different. There is a guy bigger than me who got my TE2 shins and they fit him better than his FX. Go figure :-p

Short term unless you can change the shape with a heat gun you may want to borrow some RT & FX for 10 minutes or so and see how they differ.

Long term I keep praying someone will take an existing shin, cut it, add 1.5" or so, and make a new mold for us taller folks.

Gosh, wouldn't that be nice?

What I think I'm going to end up doing is sewing a piece of elastic to the nylon tab that comes out of the top of the boot, and then set a snap or velcro on the other end, with the mate inside the center of the front side of the calf piece. No messing around w/ stirrups; simple and effective.

-------------

My boots have a taller upper. No problems with the shins riding. I like the tab Idea though...

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I've run into the same problem with the calves riding up.

My solution worked, although it's a bit counterintuitive: fasten the calves as loose as they'll go.

If the calf pieces are on tight, the normal flexing and movement of walking can make them ratchet up your leg (and over the top of the boot). If they are set as loose as they'll go, the will - in effect - fall down your calf with each step you take, thereby keeping them from going over the top of the boot.

I hope this helps...

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a similar problem with my AP calvs. But I have more problem getting them around the shoes. It's too tight.

I know I can make the backside of the calv bigger (and the front if needed) but it don't look good. I am very suprised about this since I am rather skinny :) .

What should I do about this? Any ideas?

what i have seen done is simply add velcro to the top of the boot front and inside the bottom of the armour.

That's what I ended up doing. Sewed an elastic strap to the tabs on the boot so that I have just a little give. After my upcoming troop, I'll have a good idea if it worked! :D

I sewed a small (4") piece of white nylon strapping to the pull straps with a snap on the other end, and then added the snap to the inside of the calf. Keeps them in check with the boot, and is not too fixed to make it a pain.

Scott

Long term I keep praying someone will take an existing shin, cut it, add 1.5" or so, and make a new mold for us taller folks.

Funny thing, that's exactly my first planned mold for my vac form machine when it's complete. I'm 6'3" and the darn shins are just not working for me. I've shimmed them but that's not going to be a long term solution.

Maybe I can make a shin worth looking at. I've got a big pile of fresh cut ABS waiting for me. Keep you posted.

-John

Ok here is 2 pics what my problem is. And since I have rather skinny legs and I am only 5'7 tall the lenght of the calf are ok. As you will see on the pics the calf wont go around the boots. It looks like the boot is not round as the calf is and that cause some problems. Of course I could shimm the gap and it would be solved, but will look very strange since as I said my legs are skinny and also the rest of my body.

I wont have big and wide calfs and the rest of the armor is small to fit my body. And if it is so...I could just have bought a FX instead of AP :( .

Should I try getting the shoes fixed someway?

And even now with the gap between the calf on the picture it wont properly go around so good. Would need a bit more gap. I will for sure use velcro or snap to keep the calfs down but need my shoes "smaller" uner the calfs.

Wow much text, sorry about that. Well I hope I'm not the first one with this problem.

Thanks for reading this long post :D .

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, just a bit of an update. I sewed some elastic onto the tabs that are attached to the boots. Put snaps on the extended tabs, and a corresponding pair of snaps inside the shin pieces just before our local Boo at the Zoo event. Worked like a charm! I was running up and down stairs, and leaning down to say hi to the kiddies with nary a problem. If you're having trouble with this kind of problem, look into this solution. Totally worth the 5 minutes of time it takes to set it up!