Lost Jedi crossing to the dark side :-)

Hi everyone, I'm excited to be starting a Phasma build, hopefully my first 501st costume! I have a good deal of costuming/prop making experience in the past but I took a break from the hobby for several years (moving, new job). I restarted a couple months ago after some more life changes, and after making an episode IX Rey costume I  went to Dragon Con last week. What a blast. It brought back my long time desire to cross over to the Dark Side, get out of my comfort zone, learn some new costuming skills and be as cool as my old 501st friends. Ironically I had also contemplated a Brienne of Tarth cosplay, so I guess I'm destined to dress up as Gwendoline Christie.

Mostly I've done sewing, leatherworking and worbla/craft foam type projects so this will be a big deal for me!

My plan thus far:

TLJ Phasma!

Kit - KB Props (ordered yesterday, and amazingly they were already making a phasma this week and said they could add it on and have it to me in a about a week lol...unreal)

Cape- bought from someone else on Fb group
Belt/pouches - ??
black bodysuit - already have
black ankle boots - already have (convenient!)
black gloves - ??
gaskets - looking into GeekyPink

baklava, neck seal - not sure yet
helmet - talking to Daniel Dirsten, also may buy used from someone else, not 100% sure yet

I know I can work right away on sanding and prepping my kit. I've never had to wetsand anything before but it looks fairly straightforward.

Main questions at this point:

- Chroming - from past experience with plastic cosplay armor, I really really hate repainting over and over and over from wear. I used to do a Saber cosplay (Fate/Stay Night) and went through so much chrome paint over the course of two years that it makes me want to look into professional chroming (i.e. by Muellercorp or someone local here in Iowa). How much more durable is it really going to be if I do that? Are you still having to ask them to re-chrome it after just a few wears? Or is it....permanent?

- Strapping all this sh** together - this still confuses me. Some people are gluing pieces to shoes/gloves, other pieces snap on to some kind of base... I'm guessing this is something my local 501st group could help with since any stormtrooper costume is that regard. I dont know why this part concerns me so much haha.

Pics to come once the big brown box arrives!!!!

Welcome! I'd suggest taking a look in the TFA and TLJ TK sections for strapping ideas. Teresa at Geeky Pink can also supply you with neck seal and a harness (should you choose to use one) and is super helpful with any questions you have as she's a Phasma as well! Chroming appears to be the biggest challenge for most for this costume. I had read some stories that look like nightmares so I would suggest just researching this thoroughly!

Are you getting the fingers from KB as well? Wasn't sure if they make those. You may also want to look into getting yourself a blaster.

Looking forward to your progress!

On 9/4/2019 at 7:18 PM, ValkyrieRey said:

Hi everyone, I'm excited to be starting a Phasma build, hopefully my first 501st costume! I have a good deal of costuming/prop making experience in the past but I took a break from the hobby for several years (moving, new job). I restarted a couple months ago after some more life changes, and after making an episode IX Rey costume I  went to Dragon Con last week. What a blast. It brought back my long time desire to cross over to the Dark Side, get out of my comfort zone, learn some new costuming skills and be as cool as my old 501st friends. Ironically I had also contemplated a Brienne of Tarth cosplay, so I guess I'm destined to dress up as Gwendoline Christie.

Mostly I've done sewing, leatherworking and worbla/craft foam type projects so this will be a big deal for me!

My plan thus far:

TLJ Phasma!

Kit - KB Props (ordered yesterday, and amazingly they were already making a phasma this week and said they could add it on and have it to me in a about a week lol...unreal)

Cape- bought from someone else on Fb group
Belt/pouches - ??
black bodysuit - already have
black ankle boots - already have (convenient!)
black gloves - ??
gaskets - looking into GeekyPink

baklava, neck seal - not sure yet
helmet - talking to Daniel Dirsten, also may buy used from someone else, not 100% sure yet

I know I can work right away on sanding and prepping my kit. I've never had to wetsand anything before but it looks fairly straightforward.

Main questions at this point:

- Chroming - from past experience with plastic cosplay armor, I really really hate repainting over and over and over from wear. I used to do a Saber cosplay (Fate/Stay Night) and went through so much chrome paint over the course of two years that it makes me want to look into professional chroming (i.e. by Muellercorp or someone local here in Iowa). How much more durable is it really going to be if I do that? Are you still having to ask them to re-chrome it after just a few wears? Or is it....permanent?

- Strapping all this sh** together - this still confuses me. Some people are gluing pieces to shoes/gloves, other pieces snap on to some kind of base... I'm guessing this is something my local 501st group could help with since any stormtrooper costume is that regard. I dont know why this part concerns me so much haha.

Pics to come once the big brown box arrives!!!!

Can't wait to have another Phasma in the ranks!! Regarding your question on chroming and how durable all the methods are. Unfortunately there are pieces that will have to be redone at some point just because of wear and tear. Main areas that have been affected for my personally are the tops of the thighs, inside of the biceps, toe pieces, and the ab piece where the back and chest rub from when walking and all that. I have been trooping in my kit for 2 and a half years now and have around 90 troops without rechroming. And ya at this point its nearing trash compactor Phasma lol. I chromed mine with the Angel Gilding spray on chrome which is a decent method. Really reflective if done right but the tinting is the hard part. I'm going to be rechroming using the vac-metalizing method from a company like Mueller Corp or maybe someone local depending on prices. 

Aclad chrome is great because its easy for you to touch up pieces while they wear and cheaper. Downside is that its not that chrome look you really want to go for, especially for TLJ Phasma. 

If you have any questions at all feel free to ask!! There's a bunch of here with knowledge willing to help out in any way that we can! Can't wait to see your journey to becoming one of us!!